Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How is RGIII? (merged)

Crazed Bengal

If I am wrong I am sorry, I just google recovery time on a torn MCL and this is what came up

No no, don't apologize! I was trying to say that you're not doing anything wrong by posting that, you're just trying to help out and reporting what you've researched. That's better than most of us who are just wringing our hands and arguing over a benching decision. :)

---------- Post added January-7th-2013 at 09:45 AM ----------

Well, not an expert in MCL, but have torn my ACL and, AP nonwithstanding, the doctors who operated on my knee told me it would take a year to be fully recovered. As far as seeing him walking on the sidelines and such....that is not a huge deal as I tore my ACL playing softball, and after the initial moments spent on the ground wondering what had happened, I returned to the game (catcher, and had to keep my injured leg extended due to the swelling) to continue to play. I had no clue what I had done to my knee. The next day I went on a work related trip.....did not get the knee looked at for another week. Not saying that to impress anyone, just to say that merely because RGIII was up and walking around really does not mean anything as far as what could have happened to his knee. Also, I read on ESPN that he was having difficulty dressing due to his knee and potential loss of stability. That is not good.....

From the looks of the picture of his knee "flexing" wrong, I would think some ligament has been popped. And, no I am not a doctor (but I did sleep at a Holiday inn Express). Just wonder about how bad the initial injury was vs the buzzards now, and was the advice of Dr. Andrews followed in recovery.

1) Why are people at ESPN spying on him while he's getting dressed? Weird.

2) You're absolutely right. Merriweather was "fine", too before he fond out that it was his ACL.

No no, don't apologize! I was trying to say that you're not doing anything wrong by posting that, you're just trying to help out and reporting what you've researched. That's better than most of us who are just wringing our hands and arguing over a benching decision. :)

lol, cool

Whatever happens, that's 3 injuries in a year, I don't wanna have to budget a couple of missed games and a couple early exits for him every year.

He could have a Donovan McNabb type career when it comes to injuries, cuz remember McNabb had a rep for not being able to play a full slate of games.

According to Schefter on 9am Sportscenter, the MRI has not taken place yet but will today. If he's right, then any initial diagnosis would likely be team doctors' speculation based on their medical experience. Hopefully, they're right as MCL would be much better than ACL obviously

i thought he had the damn thing last night

The knee went sideways, which is kind of what happened when he originally injured the LCL. Usually ACLs, the knee bends backwards. I didn't see it bend backwards. I think he just aggrevated the LCL.

i tore my acl, but my knee didnt go backward. i was making a right turn while running and it just twisted. my upper leg went one way and my lower leg went another. i actually had lots of trouble walking for a few weeks.

now, however, my knee is susceptible to hyperextending because i didnt get it fixed

Whatever happens, that's 3 injuries in a year, I don't wanna have to budget a couple of missed games and a couple early exits for him every year.

He could have a Donovan McNabb type career when it comes to injuries, cuz remember McNabb had a rep for not being able to play a full slate of games.

Griffins injury was the same injury. Other then the concussion in Atlanta, his knee is the reason why he was out the last few games. If this was a regular guy, he doesnt play vs Philly, Dallas or Seattle. Im not worried, I think Mike switches back to a traditional offense next year, and thus, more throwing less running. Either way, look at Stafford, he was injured his first 3 years, some people just get the injury bug. I dont think Griffin is one of those people, and I dont think anyone should even worry about that right now.

Im not worried, I think Mike switches back to a traditional offense next year, and thus, more throwing less running.

you do realize that means he will have a higher chance of getting hurt right? with the designed run at least Robert is braced for impact and he has blockers protecting him and his attention is focused on tacklers.

When he stays in the pocket or gets flushed from the pocket blockers have no idea where he's at, he's not worried about tacklers as he's looking downfield for a WR, and he's not ready for impact.

The Ngata play was a fluke ... and I might add, that was not a designed run.

Designed runs will keep Robert healthy.

LL tweeted that it may be a torn MCL. Not definite tho.

LL ‏@HTTR24_7

FWIW.. Keep hearing torn MCL. Not sure if that is the final diagnosis or not.

LL ‏@HTTR24_7

@jcstavish Agree.. Can't stress enough i'm not sure yet if that is the final diagnosis or not. Just passing along what I heard.

Whatever the result, I just want him back at 100% next year, even it means he'll have to miss a few games. No more of this 60%-80% stuff, RG3 needs to be 100% or we're risking something like this happening again. Also, I'd love for him to bulk up a little in the off season and build some muscle on those legs.

you do realize that means he will have a higher chance of getting hurt right? with the designed run at least Robert is braced for impact and he has blockers protecting him and his attention is focused on tacklers.

When he stays in the pocket or gets flushed from the pocket blockers have no idea where he's at, he's not worried about tacklers as he's looking downfield for a WR, and he's not ready for impact.

The Ngata play was a fluke ... and I might add, that was not a designed run.

Designed runs will keep Robert healthy.

Yeah. Because running kept him so healthy this year. Both of his injuries occurred while he was running the ball. Meanwhile Brady and Manning played the entire season from the pocket. UNINJURED.

Griffins injury was the same injury. Other then the concussion in Atlanta, his knee is the reason why he was out the last few games. If this was a regular guy, he doesnt play vs Philly, Dallas or Seattle. Im not worried, I think Mike switches back to a traditional offense next year, and thus, more throwing less running. Either way, look at Stafford, he was injured his first 3 years, some people just get the injury bug. I dont think Griffin is one of those people, and I dont think anyone should even worry about that right now.

But pass protection will probably never be this OL's forte, so a traditional offense with more dropbacks might not be all it's cracked up to be in terms of protecting our QB.

---------- Post added January-7th-2013 at 10:17 AM ----------

Yeah. Because running kept him so healthy this year. Both of his injuries occurred while he was running the ball. Meanwhile Brady and Manning played the entire season from the pocket. UNINJURED.

If you get rid of the ball, you don't get hit as much. Funny how not having mobility is a good thing when it comes to staying healthy.

But pass protection will probably never be this OL's forte, so a traditional offense with more dropbacks might not be all it's cracked up to be in terms of protecting our QB.

---------- Post added January-7th-2013 at 10:17 AM ----------

If you get rid of the ball, you don't get hit as much. Funny how not having mobility is a good thing when it comes to staying healthy.

The oline is fine if we can fix the right side of it. Right Tackle, a Guard or two. We will be fine.

Because neither Manning nor Brady have ever suffered near career ending injuries while in the pocket.

my point is, he won't ge hurt on designed runs.

also, the concussion was all on him, you know that. The Ngata play, WAS A FLUKE. That type of injury won't happen to Robert or another QB for the next 10 years.

Whatever the result, I just want him back at 100% next year, even it means he'll have to miss a few games. No more of this 60%-80% stuff, RG3 needs to be 100% or we're risking something like this happening again. Also, I'd love for him to bulk up a little in the off season and build some muscle on those legs.

Muscle on his legs isn't the problem. He's not a small dude. Just unfortunate hit that Ngata laid on him.

fan_a_combine_griffin_400.jpg

If it's the MCL and not the ACL, that's still good. The ACL would potentially interfere with next year, if it's the MCL then that means he can be back to 100% by training camp.

I think it's too early to say that. I think RGIII's learning curve in the NFL relates to his style of play, not so much his passing like most rookie QBs. He's probably used to slower, smaller players who he could run away from. He's going to need some time to get used to the NFL in that regard.

You could see it after the Atlanta game, he became much smarter in terms of moving around outside the pocket and running it, and the number of designed runs went down. His two injuries came on broken scrambles, the first of which was a freak injury in the process of trying to win the game, and the second one seems to have been due to the first one. Freak injuries will happen, but when we address RT and he has a year of experience I think the problems will be reduced.

Because neither Manning nor Brady have ever suffered near career ending injuries while in the pocket.

They have both been injured but have had very long careers. I can guarantee you that RG3 will not have as long of a career if they keep using him the way they are. It is a proven fact that running qb's have shortened careers in the nfl. Ask Vick. If you can limit his running to only when a play breaks down you can probably extend his career considerably. Steve Young for example was a great runner but only did it rarely. Check out this quote form him:

"Scrambling, when no one's around, getting down, getting out of bounds, taking a glancing blow, those are all fine," Young said. "You can do that all day long. But when you're actually running the ball as if you're a running back, you can't do that."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000107068/article/steve-young-robert-griffin-iii-must-throw-from-pocket

Archived