Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How is RGIII? (merged)

Crazed Bengal

Brady tore two ligiments standing in the pocket.

Ding! Ding! Ding! We have a winner! All QBs are vulnerable to leg injuries and I believe this season was an INVALUABLE learning experience for RG3. He is going to grow from all the pain he went through.

my point is, he won't ge hurt on designed runs.

also, the concussion was all on him, you know that. The Ngata play, WAS A FLUKE. That type of injury won't happen to Robert or another QB for the next 10 years.

Most injuries, outside of concussions, are fluke plays that rarely happen twice. RG3 didnt show that he can handle the punishment of this particular style of play and everything else is nonsense I'm not interested in entertaining. He needs to grow as a pocket passer next season because entirely too many games were impacted by his being injured this year. I'm not saying he shouldn't run but he certainly needs to be more eager to slide than try to force the big play.

And then they changed the rules.

That didn't change the medical results at the time. And it doesn't change the fact that a QB can still get hurt standing in the pocket and getting hurt by accident. Guys get hurt playing football. What if RG gets hurt tripping over a wire when he runs out of bounds? What if he gets hurt if his cleat gets stuck while he's trying to slide? You can't avoid everything, the only way to 100% not get hurt is to have him sit on the sideline every play.

Not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but I wanted to say that I am sorry that your QB is injured and that I hope he recovers well. The NFL is in need of a QB class like the one that just took the NFL by storm. RG, Luck, and Wilson are good for fans of the NFL and I hope that all three continue to thrive (though I want 0 SB rings for RGIII).

While happy you lost, I was sad to see on of your stars go down. You guys have a bright future.

Hail.

That didn't change the medical results at the time. And it doesn't change the fact that a QB can still get hurt standing in the pocket and getting hurt by accident. Guys get hurt playing football. What if RG gets hurt tripping over a wire when he runs out of bounds? What if he gets hurt if his cleat gets stuck while he's trying to slide? You can't avoid everything, the only way to 100% not get hurt is to have him sit on the sideline every play.

Anything can happen by accident. That's why they're called accidents. But in theory, by changing the rule, you reduce the risk, otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

The fact that we haven't heard anything yet is bad news. After the Ravens game we knew fairly quickly.

I think the difference is that after the Ravens game, we had a week to prepare, so everything was moving much quicker. Now that it's the offseason, they can maybe move a bit slower, be diligent, make sure they're doing the right things./

Anything can happen by accident. That's why they're called accidents. But in theory, by changing the rule, you reduce the risk, otherwise they wouldn't have done it.

They did it because it happened to Brady. You prove my point by saying accidents happen....you can change all the rules to reduce risk, but the only way to ensure injuries don't happen is to not play. RGIII has to play the game to be effective, you can't hold your breath on every play hoping he doesn't get hurt.

We knew that coming into the draft that RG3 was going to be at a greater risk than most QBs to get injured. This probably won't be the last time he'll be injured, we just gotta accept that. The timing of the injury this year was really unfortunate. It sucks but we just gotta hope he plays as smart as possible with his body but at the same time, not be afraid to make the big play with his feet if it's there. We're always going to need a decent back up with Robert which is why I'm glad we still have Cousins under contract for a few more years. I'm against moving him for draft picks.

Brady tore two ligiments standing in the pocket.

Tony Romo sits to pee fractured his collarbone in the pocket (2010)

Matthew Stafford injured his knee (2009) and shoulder (2010) in the pocket

Jay Cutler broke his thumb in the pocket (2010)

Carson Palmer tore his ACL and MCL in the playoffs (2006)

All QBs are at risk, not just running QBs

The fact that we haven't heard anything yet is bad news. After the Ravens game we knew fairly quickly.

After the Ravens game he had the MRI after the game. He was scheduled for the MRI this morning. We will know today. I'm guessing it is an MCL tear as LL has been stating, albeit non official.

No reason to rush it like we have a game next week. MRI today instead of last night to help any swelling go down. This is pretty typical, in fact the rush last time was surprising.

RGIII was hurt by Ngata because he did not slide properly. He needs to get the f down when he slides. During the plays he was injured against the Ravens, he tried to gain an extra yard and in the process his limbs were flailing and exposed (

). You can see in the replay that his leg is exposed above his body when he is hit. The same thing happened when he was concussed against the Falcons. If he just slides properly, like Wilson does, then he will be fine and can still scramble and run on designed plays effectively without such a large risk for injury.

They have both been injured but have had very long careers. I can guarantee you that RG3 will not have as long of a career if they keep using him the way they are. It is a proven fact that running qb's have shortened careers in the nfl. Ask Vick. If you can limit his running to only when a play breaks down you can probably extend his career considerably. Steve Young for example was a great runner but only did it rarely. Check out this quote form him:

"Scrambling, when no one's around, getting down, getting out of bounds, taking a glancing blow, those are all fine," Young said. "You can do that all day long. But when you're actually running the ball as if you're a running back, you can't do that."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000107068/article/steve-young-robert-griffin-iii-must-throw-from-pocket

I remember Young early in his career running around like a running back just youtube his clip against the Vikings where he was taking hits while cutting his runs back into the inside of the field and running without his helmet.

It also needs to be taken into account that RG3 didn't get hurt due to the way he was being used but had more to do with RG3 making a bad decision against the Ravens to attempt to pick up a first down by cutting back inside instead of running out of bounds where Ngata ended up laying the hit that caused his injury. Griffin did the same thing against the Falcons which ultimately cost him a concussion. If anything Shanahan to further reinforce to him the importance of protecting himself and making smarter choices.

No reason to rush it like we have a game next week. MRI today instead of last night to help any swelling go down. This is pretty typical, in fact the rush last time was surprising.

agreed. They normally do it the following day.

Archived