Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rob Jackson's Worth

haildc

I think this is ridiculous. No one game plans for Rob Jackson. Jackson played this year with the benefit of less blocking attention than Orakpo. More importantly, Orakpo has never played with a decent offense. This year, Washington was 4th in the league this year with 27.4 points a game, almost a full 10 points a game better than last year, when they were 16th in the league with 18.0 points a game. That means a lot more opportunities to rush the passer in obvious passing downs. I think Orakpo would have had a huge year if he played this year.

Secondarily, want to know why the argument that Jackson is better is ridiculous? It is because the argument is so obviously ridiculous. No GM in the NFL would rather have 27yo journeyman caliber Rob Jackson than Brian Orakpo. Orakpo is a very good pass rusher that still has the potential to be a great pass rusher. You need some impact players to field a great defense, not just a team of solid to good players. Jackson is a solid player that made some big plays this year. He was very good in a relatively small sample size. I don't believe that Jackson will be an impact player over the course of the rest of his career. I hope he stays in Washington, but he isn't as good as Kerrigan, Orakpo, or London Fletcher.

Restricted

He is unrestricted. He's been cut by the team twice.

---------- Post added January-1st-2013 at 12:55 PM ----------

Wonderful news. So we tender him with a first round hold and work out a nice three or four year deal.

See above.

And he doesn't have to sign his tender.

I didn't start that... the other side did.

Like I said earlier in this thread, you're side is pretty much not open to anything anyone has to say and has made your decision. You use the fact that Orakpo played on a team with a terrible offense last year and Rex Grossman as quarterback as an argument against him for us playing for 6 wins or not in tight games. And yes, when there are several minutes left in a game against Eli Manning and the eventual Super Bowl Champion Giants, I do consider it a huge play if we are up 14. What usually happens if we'd give up a TD and let the game come down to the very wire. Having seen this happen and us blow big leads all to often the last decade, it was nice to have our defense come up big and breathe easy the last couple minutes of a game.

You sit there, knowing we had a **** sandwich for offense last year, our defense was always on the field due to 25 QB turnovers, and yet our defense last year was very solid. Essentially you've taken Orakpo from that same defense, and we went down the ****ter.

You're assuming Jackson is going to do this year in and year out. If he was so good, I think he would have earned more playing time to begin with. Perhaps we would have had him on the other side and never drafted Kerrigan. Matter of fact, according to your little stats theory and the thought that Jackson can play anywhere at LB, we might as well ship out Kerrigan instead of Rak and play Jackson on the left side.

And you're exactly right, the first thing I thought was damn, I'm pissed my team just sealed the division because now I'm going to have to go explain something to some random guy on ES something about two players. Wow, really? After over a decade of poor play and two wild card births that led nowhere, that's what you think was in my head? Like I said before man, this is a fruitless argument between fans of the same team, I'd like to drop it and let it play out because ultimately neither side will budge and we'll have our answer in a few years anyway so just hold your thoughts til then.

See above.

if he didn't sign the tender then he sits out of football. But that's a moot point since he is unrestricted.

See above.

This guy seems to differ

http://washingtonexaminer.com/in-action-jackson-a-game-changer-for-redskins/article/2517261?custom_click=rss#.UOLQSXfheSo

"The question is where? Jackson is a restricted free agent after the season, so the Redskins can match any offer he receives. But they also will have Orakpo returning from a torn pectoral muscle (his second in a year)."

Is this guy wrong?

I think people are blinded by the fact Rak was a 1st rounder and essentially the lone bright spot on the team for a couple of years. If its impossible to. Keep both due to the cap, you trade the injury plagued high priced player while you can. Remember Bellicheck trading Pro Bowler Lawyer Milloy in his prime? Similar situation.

This guy seems to differ

http://washingtonexaminer.com/in-action-jackson-a-game-changer-for-redskins/article/2517261?custom_click=rss#.UOLQSXfheSo

"The question is where? Jackson is a restricted free agent after the season, so the Redskins can match any offer he receives. But they also will have Orakpo returning from a torn pectoral muscle (his second in a year)."

Is this guy wrong?

I may have been looking at something from last off season. I'm reasonably certain that since he's been cut twice that he isn't restricted to anyone. He's also going into his sixth season next year.

I may have been looking at something from last off season. I'm reasonably certain that since he's been cut twice that he isn't restricted to anyone. He's also going into his sixth season next year.

Heres hoping he is restricted but reporters have been wrong before. Then we can see what damage we can do with 50 and Rak and Kerrigan, which in any scenario is the best for this team. Thats how I am bowing out of this debate. We will wait and see what happens.

There are not enough snaps for Rak, Jackson and Kerrigan unless Fletcher retires. And even then I dont see either as a MLB.

Also another thing to consider that without Rak, we dont have anyone in our front who is an automatic doubleteak threat. Orakpo consistently drew doubleteams, Jackson really didnt. Jenkins might be that guy but he's not there yet.

If Jackson leaves that is putting tons of faith in a player who has not been able to stay healthy in the past 2 seasons and could leave the Skins needing to replace Orakpo, Jackson and Fletcher as despite his superhuman resolve is still near the end of his career.

And for those who keep saying how without Orakpo the team had fewer sacks that is true but his loss wasn't the only reason. Adam Carriker opened up plenty of opportunities for Rak and Kerrigan to get sacks AND have 5.5 of his own. His loss was clearly a huge factor also in the Skin's diminshing sack totals...

in a Pro Bowl player[/b]" -- in the words of Mike Shanahan. Who's opinion, on basically all football-related matters, I think has been vindicated this year.

A probowler on the perennially losing Redskins (Redskins!) as voted by coaches and peers. Again, re-watch the Saints game. Our pass rush was dynamic, Orakpo was getting pressure, and -- led by our front 7 -- our defense stifled Brees to completing 46% of his passes.

We haven't seen a dominating performance like that from our D since Orakpo got injured.

Hope Orakpo comes back healthy and the Skin's defense is obviously better with him in the lineup but you are overstating things a bit.

Being a Pro Bowler doesn't mean much on its own, just look at this years selections of Jeff Saturady and Laron Landry for starters.

In that Saint's game the Skins still allowed 32 points. And actually the defense has played it's best and most dominating games in the 2nd half of the season with the first game against Philly, 17-16 win over NY and NFC East clinching game against Dallas as clear examples.

Lastly though is using quotes from Shanahan as if somehow that makes them 100% true. Of course coaches are going to praise their players. But if you believe what Shanny says is the gospel here are a few quotes for you from him about John Beck ---

"When John Beck did come out, I had him as the top-ranked quarterback coming out that year," Shanahan said. "I didn't think it was close, so I've got a lot of confidence in John Beck."

Shanahan, though, said Beck is "everything you look for in a quarterback," from work ethic to foot speed.

"He has not disappointed me since he's been here," Shanahan said.

"I'm not even worried about the quarterback position. I think it's funny (meaning the doubts), because I know the guy can play. I don't even question that. I know [beck] can play. John will be fine. He'll play and he'll be a good player, because he's an athlete, because he can anticipate throws, and he's extremely bright."

So let's not pretend that just because a coach says something that it's a measuring stick for a player's true value...

The debate between Rak and Jax is truly a debate of what you prefer. They are so different it makes no sense to ask which is better. There is no question that Rak wouldn't have made the play Jax did. Matter of fact, Rak has the worst ball skills out of any LB in the league. But teams have to game plan for Rak. He is disruptive all game, even if he doesn't get home.

So, who is better? Jax is 10x better in coverage. Rak is top 10 pass rusher in the league. What do you want? I want them both. And we will have both. Hopefully we can find a way to get both of them big snaps.

So, who is better? Jax is 10x better in coverage. Rak is top 10 pass rusher in the league. What do you want? I want them both. And we will have both. Hopefully we can find a way to get both of them big snaps.

Sub Jackson in for Riley or Fletcher on passing downs. Jackson is good in coverage, so we take our weakest coverage ILB (Riley) and get Jackson in there. Rak and Kerrigan rushing with Jackson and Fletcher covering.

I think you keep both of them. Jackson in base 34, at OLB, and Rak as a situational pass rusher playing all across the front four in our nickel sets.

LOL ....orakpo as a situational pass rusher? There's too many ways to play the 3-4 while keeping Riley, Fletcher, Kerrigan, Orakpo, and Jackson on the field all at the same time. If anyone can stay fresh its Jackson. He's awesome but Orakpo would be getting paid way too much.

Archived