Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rob Jackson's Worth

haildc

can we stop trying to trade away anyone that has potential?

I hear what you're saying, but here is the problem: We may only get to keep one.

LB is going to be a numbers game next year.

1. Lorenzo Alexander - ILB/OLB (Keeping and under contract)

2. London Fletcher - ILB (Coin toss whether or not he comes back/but under contract)

3. Rob Jackson - OLB (UFA)

4. Bryan Kehl- ILB/OLB (UFA/maybe worth keeping if Fletcher doesn't come back)

5. Ryan Kerrigan - OLB (Keeping and under contract)

6. Rod Muckelroy - ILB (RFA - probably keeping- will probably compete with Keenan)

7. Perry Riley - ILB (Keeping and under contract)

8. Vic So'oto - OLB (RFA - probably keeping - will get to compete)

9. Chris Wilson - OLB (probably not keeping, very dissapointed in his production)

10. Brian Orakpo - OLB (injured twice with the same injury - next year is a contract year)

11. Keenan Robinson - ILB (injured once - under contract - he'll be competing for his job next year)

So, that give you for sure:

Zo, Riley, Kerrigan... to me, the rest is honestly WIDE open competition wise.

I would say the favorites to me are:

ILB:

Riley, Muck, Fletch (if he comes back), and Keenan or Kehl (both if Fletch retires)

OLB:

Zo, Kerrigan, So'oto, Orakpo or Jackson

I suspect we keep more defensive backs next year than LBs. We will need all of the room we can get there. Especially with Bernstine and (hopefully) Rambo fighting it out with Jackson and Merriweather.

We may be able to keep them both without keeping Banks. But it's a numbers game. Mind you we have Minniefield and others competing next season as well.

This is a good problem to have... but do you want to roll the dice on Orakpo and his bum pec or do you want to get what you can for him now, a la Cooley circa 2009?

Orakpo is a freak of nature, but he cant catch and he doesnt play as well as his draft status warranted. I wouldn't call him a complete bust, but he certainly hasn't set himself up for a phat new contract either.

It will certainly be interesting what the team thinks of him moving forward but he only has one year left on his rookie deal. Id love to see him turn into the beast that we all want him to, but i just dont see it.

I think much of Robs success is scheme and is a credit to being coached up properly. That being said why not keep around guys that respond well to coaching and opertunity. Some of his game changing plays were clear gifts from the offense screwing up and others were plain instinct. He is an asset to the team but he is not an eilte pass rusher. I dont care about anyones man crush on Jackson he is not even close to Orakpo in pass rush ability. Pass rushers flourish when their offense gives them a big lead and they can pin their ears back and go for the QB. This is not a luxury Orakpo has benefited from in his early career. I also think the art of pass rushing is a rare gift whereas learning how to cover can be coached in most cases. I have enough faith that Rak would have made that gimme from Romo sits to pee last night because it was a scheme play.

Nevermind answered above

---------- Post added January-1st-2013 at 12:19 AM ----------

Orakpo is a freak of nature, but he cant catch and he doesnt play as well as his draft status warranted. I wouldn't call him a complete bust, but he certainly hasn't set himself up for a phat new contract either.

It will certainly be interesting what the team thinks of him moving forward but he only has one year left on his rookie deal. Id love to see him turn into the beast that we all want him to, but i just dont see it.

Agreed, though I really want to see him play out his final year before I totally give up on the guy

Agreed, though I really want to see him play out his final year before I totally give up on the guy

The problem with Jackson is that he is borderline terrible at rushing the passer.

For an OLB in the 3-4, he has 4.5 sacks on the year and he's played the majority of 14-15 games. That's terrible, especially so considering the attention Kerrigan receives.

I do believe Rob Jackson is a solid football player, but most of his big plays come when he's not rushing the passer; which is the primary job of a 3-4 OLB in our system.

---------- Post added January-1st-2013 at 12:27 AM ----------

Our pass rush this season should let you know he's not a bust..

The problem with Jackson is that he is borderline terrible at rushing the passer.

For an OLB in the 3-4, he has 4.5 sacks on the year and he's played the majority of 14-15 games. That's terrible, especially so considering the attention Kerrigan receives.

I do believe Rob Jackson is a solid football player, but most of his big plays come when he's not rushing the passer; which is the primary job of a 3-4 OLB in our system.

---------- Post added January-1st-2013 at 12:27 AM ----------

But he's only played 586 defensive snaps this year and I can tell you in a lot of cases it was on passing downs he was being taken out.

Kerrigan, Fletcher, and Riley have all played over 1000.

Now, they haven't doubled his snaps so I wouldn't double the stats, but if he had over 1000 defensive snaps with 7.5 sacks and 6 interceptions, how does that change the picture?

He is an asset to the team but he is not an eilte pass rusher. I dont care about anyones man crush on Jackson he is not even close to Orakpo in pass rush ability. Pass rushers flourish when their offense gives them a big lead and they can pin their ears back and go for the QB. This is not a luxury Orakpo has benefited from in his early career. I also think the art of pass rushing is a rare gift whereas learning how to cover can be coached in most cases. I have enough faith that Rak would have made that gimme from Romo sits to pee last night because it was a scheme play.

Again. 9 sacks. It's annoying, but it's a pretty good argument. And he pins his ears back all the time because that's basically all he does is rush the quarterback.

And again... what makes you think "Rak" would've made that "gimme" from Romo sits to pee last night when he couldn't catch a gimme earlier in the year from Drew Brees?

But he's only played 586 defensive snaps this year and I can tell you in a lot of cases it was on passing downs he was being taken out.

Kerrigan, Fletcher, and Riley have all played over 1000.

Now, they haven't doubled his snaps so I wouldn't double the stats, but if he had over 1000 defensive snaps with 7.5 sacks and 6 interceptions, how does that change the picture?

Link?

I think that has more to do with the safety position than anything else. But that light bulb will go on about week 4 next year ;)

---------- Post added January-1st-2013 at 12:57 AM ----------

Have you wondered why?

Hahaha. Because Haz didn't like him at first he liked Wilson. Then Wilson didn't get it done so he went with Zo. Then Zo was okay and Jackson has to "Bob Sagget" for pass rushing situations on 3rd down, lol.

---------- Post added January-1st-2013 at 12:58 AM ----------

Sign and trade Jackson. Keep Rak.

Sign and trade? With who, the Lakers?

I think that has more to do with the safety position than anything else. But that light bulb will go on about week 4 next year ;)

Reed Doughty and Dejon Gomes started most of the games last year at safety. Madieu Williams (although I personally think he's terrible) is considered an upgrade over both of those players.

Yet the Redskins finished 20th in sacks this year compared to 11th last year.

Coincidence?

Sign and trade Jackson. Keep Rak.

This isn't the NBA. There is no advantage to the other team to or Jackson to go through a sign and trade and there is frequently a "penalty" w/ respect to cap space if there is a signing bonus (i.e. its affect becomes accelerated to the year the trade happens).

You'll have to select the categories yourself, and they don't have it broken down by down and distance, but here's a site for snaps played:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/snapcounts

From watching the games and the OLBs, I can tell you that Jackson was coming out a lot on 3rd and long and other passing downs.

Thanks for the link, some good info to be found there.

Reed Doughty and Dejon Gomes started most of the games last year at safety. Madieu Williams (although I personally think he's terrible) is considered an upgrade over both of those players.

Coincidence?

Gomes started 5 games last year. Landry and Otogwe both started 8 last year.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/was/2011.htm

**EDIT**

Sorry, messed up above 5 games this year 3 last year.

The difference in Doughty this year as a starter and last is one game. The difference between Gomes is two games.

Coincidence?

Most of the games? Not sure about that. Everyone was healthier, too... to include a Neild and Carriker and Bowen was 100% as well.

Go back and watch some tape. I know it was a long time ago... but Orakpo didn't get sacks on every play... he got an average of 9 per season...

I disagree that Maddie is an upgrade, imo he's the main liability in our secondary. At best he's an upgrade in coverage. But imo Maddie is the FS not because he's better in coverage but because he's too much of a liability to play in box and he's faster then Reed.

My apologies, I said that without actually checking NFL.com

After researching:

Doughty started 10 games

Landry 8

Atogwe 8

Gomes 5

IMO (aside from Landry), our safeties are no worse this year than last.

Don't forget, (I know he started a few last year and depending on formations and such, he'll get credited with a start) but Reed also starts on teams.

Archived