Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I want Haslet to stay

sabbath1981

The most yards given up through the air in the NFL's history.

I'm inclined to agree with you on this, but let's not be so quick to forget he had the 13th ranked defense just a year ago. The losses of Orakpo, Carriker, Merriweather, and Jackson have really hurt him I think. Not to mention our to weakest spots on D right, are the spots that they directly help in (pass rush and coverage).

If we're serious about making personnel upgrades in the secondary this off-season, then I'm willing to give Haslett another shot in bringing the defense back to it's 2011 form. But if we're not, then we need to make a change at DC.

Hey let's not get carried away. He is still just a Brandon Weedon thrashing away from being tar and feathered and run out of town...

They defense played a heck of a 2nd half. London apparently stepped up during halftime and told the defense the season was on the line for the next 2 quarters and they responded.

But I would still love to improve at the DC position...

Yep, also remember that we were two (at least) overthrown passes from being down big a half-time (iirc, they'd could have been up about 24-10). While the defense did come alive in the second half and played great in the short area, the Giants lost more than we won. Of course, as this game showed after the Giants dissected GB last week, if you can run the ball (either because you are good at it or because you don't fall behind big quickly), you can match the Giants.

We dont know how much Mike dictates what Haslet does week to week

I just want to know who was responsible for bringing the lame duck no pressure defense week after week, that we saw before the bye. And i want to know whose idea was it to dial up the pressure during the bye week and have since gone 3-0.

Once we know those things, then we can decide if Haslet should be retained.

Iron Mike could well be dictating most of what we see on defense and that would not change no matter which 4-3 guy he brings in next.

And why in the world were the Giants even running the ball!!!

I want Haslet to stay

You're probably the only one :ols:

I have never seen so many WR's and TE's wide open in all of my life! Yes some of it is personnel, but come on Hass! Take the Rams games for example... some little no name WR caught 22 balls against us! TWENTY FREAKING TWO!!!! TWENTY TWO!!!!!! You think after about 13 before halftime he would of made some sort of adjustments!!! (yes I over exaggerated a little but you get the point)

The first Giants game ..... Cruz's TD .... doubling a WR there is just dumb when they need a big play to win the game basically .. if one guy gets beat, the other usually does, and look what happened! If you play a 3 deep zone there, sheli doesnt get that pass in over the top!!! period!

Its crap like the above is why he should be fired IMHO

Historically his defenses have under-performed. Haslett has been the problem. And why did it take until the bye to make a difference and appropriate changes? The team should be 8-4 if the D had done it's part and the time for excuses or second chance have passed.

Historically they really haven't underperformed until ths year. I did a bunch of stats in the old Haslett thread that went ignored. They held most QBs to right around their average and same for scoring defense. The awful offense we had last year set them up for nearly one TD per game.

Haslett has earned a consideration for the job again. That is all. But I think Romeo Krennel or, heck, maybe even Raheem beat him out. Should be interesting.

Oh, and to the thread starter... It's hard to take your desire too seriously for him to stay when you can't even spell his name right. :pfft:

We've got pots and kettles here of all colors, as long as you want them in black. How can we take your desire for Romeo when you spell his name with a K (I kid, I kid)?

I, for one, do not.

Seriously, I don't like the guy, I don't care what he's been given, there have been other coordinators who have done more with less in the history of this league and we're historically bad against the pass this year. Like, we're the worst team ever at giving up passing yards. At a certain point this isn't just having bad players, it has something to do with coaching.

Yeah but we have some real knuckleheads in our secondary that would definitely be riding the bench in an above average D. Seriously we are simply not very talented at the CB and safety positions. And naturally teams are going to tee off on us. Plus we get little pass rush, yet consistently do well on well against the run. We are just average because of the lack of talent, in part due to injury, and in part because we simply need other "pieces" to be consistent. I just do not think that is on Haslett. Not saying a change would not be good psychologically speaking, just not buying into him being the fault. When you have below average players you get the result of that. However, I think having RG3 as a Captain along with Fletcher does go a long way in getting the best out of these players emotionally and psychologically. It has to come from them because IMO Shanahan and Haslett our not very inspiring people. Players need that enthusiasm and I think they get it from RG and Fletch together.

Historically they really haven't underperformed until ths year. I did a bunch of stats in the old Haslett thread that went ignored. They held most QBs to right around their average and same for scoring defense. The awful offense we had last year set them up for nearly one TD per game.

Looking at his entire history as a DC, Haslett takes what was given him and gets worse. He isn't good. He should have never been hired. He needs to go.

If Boldin doesn't have 250 yards and 4 TDs, and Ray Rice doesn't gash the defense for 200 yards, I'll start to come around.

I'm sorry, but the D in the first half was just absolutely sucky awful. If it wasn't for Eli missing 2 wide open receivers down the field, they would have been up 17-3 or worse mid-way through the second quarter. They got lucky early by the Giants mis-steps.

Then in the second half, they made a few stops, aided by some good fortune.

Haslet is trying his best to make do with what he's got. I'm just not sure that his best is really good enough.

Man, I've been so scared to admit that because of how well our run D has been, but that's so f'n true. We really don't have anybody on the dline that can consistently get pressure. Good players, but not dominant enough to make up for losing Orakpo or Carriker...

At this point in the season, Orakpo and Carriker would have been worth about 16 more sacks (not all due directly to them) and about 205 yards in better defense. This does not include the fact that the better pressure would also likely result in lower yards per completion and a lower completion rate. In the first game, we were a blocked punt and a dropped interception (OK, the dropped int was on Orakpo) away from beating the Saints 40-17 and the Rams really didn't start dominating us big-time until those guys went out.

Absolutely not... is this a joke ?

---------- Post added December-4th-2012 at 03:21 PM ----------

Credit the secind half play to London and Riley firing the defense up at half. Credit the players for going to Haz and begging for second half adjustments . Haz is not a DC that will help you win a SB and thats what matters.

Has he gotten progressively worse this year as he dealt with injuries?

No.

In every stint as a DC his teams have gotten worse from the previous DC, and continued that path the longer he was with the team. He took a GREAT Pittsburg D and made it average. He took a good D in Washington and is on pace for the worst passing D in history. His teams get worse the longer he coaches them, in every stop as DC in his NFL career, not just here. If we had Wade Phillips, we're probably 10-2 right now, if not better.

Hey let's not get carried away. He is still just a Brandon Weedon thrashing away from being tar and feathered and run out of town...

They defense played a heck of a 2nd half. London apparently stepped up during halftime and told the defense the season was on the line for the next 2 quarters and they responded.

But I would still love to improve at the DC position...

Even if the Skins get a brand new DC, which they won't, it would still be the same issue. The problem is in the secondary. We all know that. I'm sure Haslett didn't count on Jackson being suspended, Meriweather, Orakpo, and Carriker gone for the year because of injuries.

Archived