Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: Pat Robertson challenges creationism

PeterMP

Again, don't run too far with Robertson's statements, the only thing he actually denied in the video was "Young Earth Creationism", I highly doubt this is a full throated appeal to Darwinism.

Oh, I agree. But I give him props for at least speaking out against the complete lunacy of the young earth argument.

But science is not the issue there and is immaterial to their argument

I know, but like I said a strict literal reading of Genesis 1-2 does not result in Creationist doctrine, because the order of both 1 and 2 are completely different. Creationism wants the made from the dirt of chapter 2 merged with the 6 days of chapter 1 all while casually ignoring that in chapter 1 humans are created LAST and in chapter 2 man is created first then all the animals and then woman is created.

Like I said Creationism claims that it is from a literal reading, but a literal reading denies their doctrine..

---------- Post added November-30th-2012 at 11:19 AM ----------

Oh, I agree. But I give him props for at least speaking out against the complete lunacy of the young earth argument.

Agreed.

I posted the video on facebook, and while I'm not seeing direct challenges to it, I am seeing comments on the issue already popping up.

:thud:

I'd like to hear what he tells his kids etc about "the way it was" whether it was God directed evolution or humanity planted in an already old earth.

I think he went to high school with Adam.

Probably some funny stories there!

~Bang

Agreed. I don't agree with Robertson about a lot of things, but it looks like he and I see eye to eye on this matter. Young Earth Creationism is not taught in the Bible and simply doesn't make any sense.

Good on him for saying this, though he will catch hell for this.

I like my belief in both...God said, "Bang", and we have EVOLVED from there. I know it may be a little unorthodox, but it's what gets me through.

Yeah I believe in theistic evolution. The original material that resulted in the world as we presently know it was placed there by a higher power (the Christian God as I understand Him) and evolved/expanded from there. I realize that most who believe in evolution feel that God is an unnecessary step but whatever.

Yeah I believe in theistic evolution. The original material that resulted in the world as we presently know it was placed there by a higher power (the Christian God as I understand Him) and evolved/expanded from there. I realize that most who believe in evolution feel that God is an unnecessary step but whatever.

traditionally theism is God both starting and actively directing creation or evolution, Deism is more of the he set it in motion and set back to watch theme

I guess a big question is whether God directed evolution or whether it happened without God's involvement. If you go with evolution evolving with God's direction or according to God's plan, then you have to account for numerous funky things like worms who fence with their penises.

f you go with evolution evolving with God's direction or according to God's plan, then you have to account for numerous funky things like worms who fence with their penises.

How do you have Intelligent Design without dueling worm phalli?

]...you have to account for numerous funky things like worms who fence with their penises.

Okay, you can't just throw this out there and run. You need to enlighten us on this...

My explanation, on the face of it - God created humor too, and leaves us reminders all the time.

How do you have Intelligent Design without dueling worm phalli?

Maybe that was the original plan for all species... the "dynamic gender" scheme ran into problems during in the prototyping phase, so it was decided to go with the "dedicated gender" scheme for complex organisms :D

Okay, you can't just throw this out there and run. You need to enlighten us on this...

My explanation, on the face of it - God created humor too, and leaves us reminders all the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Penis_fencing

The flatworms "fence" using two-headed dagger-like penises which are pointed, and white in color. The mating ritual involves a violent battle during which two hermaphroditic flatworms attempt to pierce the skin of one another with one of their penises. The "winner" is the organism that inseminates the other; the winner becomes the father. The sperm is absorbed through pores in the skin, causing fertilization in the "loser," who becomes the mother.

I think God created this reproductive approach and humor around the same time ;)

One thing about believers...they always have an answer. Always. No matter what. It's awesome. It's mysterious in its way. :pfft: :D

I think Pat never gets enough credit for his hair over the decades, btw. He was doing that before modern gels and blow dryers.

I dont understand the title of the article in context. The title implies that belief in creation implies you also beleive the earth is only 6,000 years old, which only morons too stupid to understand the book they base their beleifs on beleive.

If their basic belief make you brothers in Christ (if you are a Christian), should you call them "morons" and "stupid"? I know "retards" is out now no matter what. :pfft:

If their basic belief make you brothers in Christ (if you are a Christian), should you call them "morons" and "stupid"? I know "retards" is out now no matter what. :pfft:

Simple beleif in broad teachings doesnt make someone a christian or my brother. I call them morons because their stupidity makes people not familiar with the Bible lose respect for it. They dishonor the very book they supposedly beleive in because they havent bothered to read it and study it for themsevels. They simply listen to what other morons tell them it says and blindly beleive it.

I think anyone is a moron who blindly beleives anything - whether its a particular religion or evolution, without reseraching it for themselves. And theyre an even bigger moron if they still cling to a beleif when it has no basis - in the BIble or in science, because their pastor/teacher/media or whoever tells them to.

.....he says thinking that all religious beliefs are misinformed positions.......

I do not have religious beliefs and I do not agree with them, but I would not go as far as calling them misinformed. I do that only in cases where religious beliefs clearly contradict our knowledge.

Misinformation is necessary to reject things like known geological processes or evolution, but not necessary to have religious beliefs in general.

So as a Christian, you're fine with making such judgments on people and labeling them in such a denigrating matter because they're doing something you don't like (you're saying they are influencing others to disrespect the Bible---I'd contend any objection most folks have with the Bible are the product of things with a little more depth than being influenced by "morons", but whatever).

Just trying to make sure I have it clear. I'm good with the "morons" thing in some cases, but then I'm not a Christian. I would have thought the behavior you're assertively supporting in this matter would be considered more towards the "sinful" side, and while we're all only human (always a good one), it would be on the list of types of behaviors to avoid and regret, not justify, advocate, and willfully repeat. It just struck my curiosity, no big deal. I have some free time and am letting my mind wander. :D

I think anyone is a moron who blindly beleives anything - whether its a particular religion or evolution, without reseraching it for themselves. And theyre an even bigger moron if they still cling to a beleif when it has no basis - in the BIble or in science, because their pastor/teacher/media or whoever tells them to.

Proper comprehension of many concepts requires years of training. Many people who research counter-intuitive concepts without proper training may end up disagreeing with them. They researched it for themselves, they feel that they are not believing blindly, etc, and yet that only solidified their ignorance and misunderstanding.

Deferring to the experts is a viable strategy in many cases, especially when it comes to issues of science. Experts could be wrong, but at least we know that they studied the stuff and we know how they got to their results.

There is a danger when untrained armchair "scientists" misjudge their ability to research things for themselves. This is how you get denial of evolution, climate change, etc. While it is important to recognize possible value offresh ideas and contributions from non-traditional sources. we should also recognize that people who lack the training should generally defer to the experts on a number of issues.

I'm not overwhelmingly shocked at this.

I grew up among Southern Evangelicals and I never recall any hostility to science. Since I graduated high school, though, the church I grew up in has become the kind of place that takes trips to the Creationism Museum.

This hostility to science and full on acceptance of YEC seems (at least in my experience) to be a relatively recent phenomenon. I assume that some of the darker corners of the Indepedent Baptist Movement always attacked evolution but Pat doesn't seem to come from that movement.

Pat has a lot of crazy beliefs, but he's never really been one to fight for dinosaurs being in the Garden of Eden, has he?

---------- Post added November-30th-2012 at 03:30 PM ----------

I like my belief in both...God said, "Bang", and we have EVOLVED from there. I know it may be a little unorthodox, but it's what gets me through.

That's basically the Catholic position. God created the Earth and universe. God created man. We don't know his process and can accept what we want to believe regarding that process as long as we recognize God's presence behind it.

Archived