Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Big news from Mars according to NASA

DeaconTheVillain

thanks, didn't enlarge. I guess it looks like wet soil, but did they already know that water existed on Mars? Or maybe this is the first confirmed water sighting...

Either way i am excited to see what they release.

wet means liquid.. they sure as hell didn't know liquid water could be found on mars.

---------- Post added November-24th-2012 at 01:32 AM ----------

The discovery was made by the rovers chemistry lab which checks for the presence of organic compounds. I highly doubt it's the presence of liquid water which IMO wouldn't be such a big deal since we know that water did exist on Mars at some point.

No liquid water would be a huge deal.

Liquid water would be a huge deal. In short, it would mean that we could potentially sustain life on Mars.

No water would be enough to sustain life. We can melt ice and use electrolisis to create hydrogen for fuel and oxygen to breath so we don't need liquid water to establish a permenting or semi perminent base on Mars... Or even allow the first rocket to visit mars to manufacture it's own fuel and oxygen for the return trip. All of that has been theorized with Ice.

What liquid water mean is mars is currently warm enough to sustain life potentially. The only place in the universe where water exists in the liquid form for certain is Earth. That mars has liquid water even now is pretty amaizing.

If that's what it is.. I doubt it cause mars temps aren't exactly a secret and the boiling and freazing temp of water is pretty well known.

So....it's that Mercury has frozen water?

New observations by the MESSENGER spacecraft provide compelling support for the long-held hypothesis that Mercury harbors abundant water ice and other frozen volatile materials in its permanently shadowed polar craters.

Data indicate the ice is buried beneath an unusually dark material across most of the deposits, areas where temperatures are a bit too warm for ice to be stable at the surface itself.

http://www.nasa.gov/mission_pages/messenger/media/PressConf20121129.html

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-20582704#TWEET426258

Dawn probe spies possible water-cut gullies on Vesta

Scientists say they have seen features on Asteroid Vesta that look as though they could have been cut by some sort of fluid flow - possibly liquid water.

If correct, it is an extraordinary observation because any free water on the surface of the airless body would ordinarily boil rapidly and vaporise.

But pictures of Vesta taken by Nasa's Dawn probe show complex gullies running down the walls of some craters.

Archived