21MadFan

6 games vs Cowboys on Thanksgiving have gone as follows:

1968 - Cowboys 28, Redskins 20

1974 - Cowboys 24, Redskins 23

1978 - Cowboys 37, Redskins 10

1990 - Cowboys 27, Redskins 17

1996 - Cowboys 21, Redskins 10

2002 - Cowboys 27, Redskins 20

It's time to put an end to this streak now.

6 games vs Cowboys on Thanksgiving have gone as follows:

1968 - Cowboys 28, Redskins 20

1974 - Cowboys 24, Redskins 23

1978 - Cowboys 37, Redskins 10

1990 - Cowboys 27, Redskins 17

1996 - Cowboys 21, Redskins 10

2002 - Cowboys 27, Redskins 20

It's time to put an end to this streak now.

damn ...those scores are nasty.

We had them dead to rights in 2002 (not that we should brag about that as they were not a good team either). I have only watched 3 of those games (1990, 1996, and 2002) and none of those 3 showings give me much confidence.

Having said that, the point of the thread is a good one...we finally won a home game after 7-8 straight losses, we finally beat a rookie QB, we finally blew out a divisional rival, we finally landed a franchise QB, etc. Let's just grab this W on Thursday and give ourselves a shot to get to .500!

Bring the same tenacity and the Redskins will end this streak. Victory Monday is great but how about a Victory Friday...woooo! I am so pumped about beating the Eagles and the OPPORTUNITY that we have on Thursday. If the Redskins win, we could be playing for the Division lead vs the Giants on MNF. I did it again, one at a time! HTTR! BEAT DALLAS!

We had them dead to rights in 2002 (not that we should brag about that as they were not a good team either). I have only watched 3 of those games (1990, 1996, and 2002) and none of those 3 showings give me much confidence.

Having said that, the point of the thread is a good one...we finally won a home game after 7-8 straight losses, we finally beat a rookie QB, we finally blew out a divisional rival, we finally landed a franchise QB, etc. Let's just grab this W on Thursday and give ourselves a shot to get to .500!

well, we technically blew out the giants twice last season. 28-14 and 23-10.

So many bad streaks that need to be broken. Hopefully a win Thursday will be another check mark off the list. Also, I know this is far ahead but I noticed that we play the Detroit Lions (again) next year. I would like a VERY convincing win against them next year. I still can not get past us ending that long losing streak they had. Smh!

I don't consider a 2 score game a blow out really. I guess the second Giants game was 23-3 at one point though, so maybe I overlooked that one. Last year's opener was pretty tight until midway through the 4th quarter. This game yesterday was over at halftime...

I don't put much into streaks like these. I mean hell three streaks have been broken recently (two this year): the rookie qb streak; the hom field losing streak; and the Pres. Election streak, which was broken a couple seasons ago. The past is not always an indicator of the future. The present always gives you a chance to make your own future.

I don't put much into streaks like these. I mean hell three streaks have been broken recently (two this year): the rookie qb streak; the hom field losing streak; and the Pres. Election streak, which was broken a couple seasons ago. The past is not always an indicator of the future. The present always gives you a chance to make your own future.

It is probably overblown, you're right. Hell, I would guess that the teams were drastically different from a personnel perspective in almost every match up. Obviously, the 2002 Dallas win has no bearing on Thursday's game. I think it probably highlights the advantage of being at home on a short week more than anything else.

I too only remember the 90,96 and 2002 games.

The 1990 game was sort of Dallas' coming out party in a way. They really had not done much up until that point in the season and the Redskins were 6-4 cruising for a wildcard. But on that Thanksgiving, Troy Aikman began to look the part of a franchise QB and he used his new favorite weapon in Jay Novacheck who had been a back up in Arizona. Emmitt Smith had his first (with many to come) 100 yard game against the Redskins included in that was a 45 or so yard run to put the game away 27-17. The only triplet missing was Irvin who I think was injured (story of his career up to that point) for this game. This win got Dallas hot and they went on to win 4 or so in a row to get into wildcard contention before losing out in the end after Aikman got hurt missing the last one or two games and they went with Babe Laufenberg who promptly showed why he was a career number 3.

The 1996 game was supposed to be a changing of the guard game. Dallas was clearly slipping and were no longer the team they had been and the Redskins were 8-4 and were coming off a tight loss to the 49ers at home. The Redskins did briefly take a 10-7 lead early in the 3rd but Dallas once again did what they did best back then. Fed it to Smith and let that huge Oline just chew us up. Smith scored two more touchdowns (3 on the day) and ended up with over 150 yards and the Skins lost 21-10.

2002 was a game featuring two teams that stunk and very much resembles the game coming up. The Redskins were 5-6 going into this game and the Cowboys were 4-7. The Redskins had just won in an upset over the defending NFC Champion Rams and there was talk that if the Skins beat Dallas, a wildcard was still very possible. Our QB was Danny Wuerfel who threw 3 touchdowns (only TDs of his Skins career) and 3 interceptions (including the game changer midway through the 3rd quarter). The Cowboys were quarterbacked by Chad Hutchinson who we made look like a decent QB. The Skins led 20-10 midway through the third and were looking good for a win until Wuerfel, back up near his own goalline, threw a pick to Roy Williams who returned it 5 yards for th touchdown. The Cowboys went on to score 10 more points in the 4th to win 27-20 and starting the Redskins on a 3 game losing streak which ended the competitive portion of the 2002 season.

2 score games are not blowouts imo even if one score comes in garbage time as i believe it did in the 28-14 game.

---------- Post added November-20th-2012 at 12:28 PM ----------

Chad Hutchinson beat us....man I had completely blocked out that game. Didn't he have horseteeth a la Gary Busey?

Indeed. Must have been quite popular in the 02 lookalike thread.

hutch.jpg

---------- Post added November-20th-2012 at 12:30 PM ----------

It is probably overblown, you're right. Hell, I would guess that the teams were drastically different from a personnel perspective in almost every match up. Obviously, the 2002 Dallas win has no bearing on Thursday's game. I think it probably highlights the advantage of being at home on a short week more than anything else.

This is the big point. It is definitely a huge advantage to be home on a short week, especially a Holiday week. Then again, if you stink, you stink, ie: Lions on Thanksgiving

This streak is coming to an end. RG3 and the boys will make it happen.

I for one, will be most satisfied with the look of sheer anger and cluelessness on Rob Ryan's face when we drop 40 on the Pukes. I hope Jerruh comes down to the sideline to get a closer view. Jason Garrett will be on the hot seat. Romo sits to pee and Witten will stop dating. Dez Bryant will move to Tijauna. The big screen at Neverland Ranch will burst into flames.

Oh...and you know Santana will have a little something for them. He's a killer. A cowgirl killer. Hail.

Archived