Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A Football Life: John Riggins 11/21/12 8pm NFL Network (Edit: 12 min preview added to OP)

Zazzaro703

It's pure nostalgia just looking at the promo. Man how I miss the days when we were both feared and respected week in and week out.

Only thing missing in the promo during the playoff run was Chief Zee talking about firing up the diesel and then you hearing diesel horn during some of his runs. It's in the America's game 82.

Absolutely incredible documentary. Everyone knows John Riggins was a great player but few really know how complex of a man he is. Always misunderstood and never truly appreciated by many who aren't Redskin fans.

A couple things really stood out - Riggins was severly underused especially during the early years of his career with Namath and the Jets. Always remember his then record setting TD season. He could have easily had several more TD's but the Skins were so good that year that he often came out of games early. When Emmit Smith broke that record it was so hollow as Smith used to re-enter games just to get a TD.

Also it's great to see how great the Skins were but also a bitter reminder of how fall the team has fallen over the past 20 years. The days of being a perennial playoff team and one of the NFL's most storied franchises has turned into a poorly run organization that doesn't make the playoffs and has largely become an afterthought.

It's why so many fans that remember those glory days expect more from the Skins. Over the past 2 decades it's largely been excuses and trying to rationalize so many poor seasons. Holding out hope to scrape together 8-8 seasons and maintain a sliver of playoff opportunity is just not good enough.

Hopefully RG III and the Skins will get back to a level of relevance and again become a force in the NFL. Beating Dallas tomorrow on Thanksgiving would definitely provide a good start to that goal.

Also forgot to add that it's a shame John Riggins isn't on TV broadcasting games or having a national football/sports show. Watching so many of these idiots on ESPN, NFL Network and other channels is terrible. Riggins has the humor, intelligence and fearless nature that make for great TV or radio...

Absolutely incredible documentary. Everyone knows John Riggins was a great player but few really know how complex of a man he is. Always misunderstood and never truly appreciated by many who aren't Redskin fans.

A couple things really stood out - Riggins was severly underused especially during the early years of his career with Namath and the Jets. Always remember his then record setting TD season. He could have easily had several more TD's but the Skins were so good that year that he often came out of games early. When Emmit Smith broke that record it was so hollow as Smith used to re-enter games just to get a TD.

Also it's great to see how great the Skins were but also a bitter reminder of how fall the team has fallen over the past 20 years. The days of being a perennial playoff team and one of the NFL's most storied franchises has turned into a poorly run organization that doesn't make the playoffs and has largely become an afterthought.

It's why so many fans that remember those glory days expect more from the Skins. Over the past 2 decades it's largely been excuses and trying to rationalize so many poor seasons. Holding out hope to scrape together 8-8 seasons and maintain a sliver of playoff opportunity is just not good enough.

Hopefully RG III and the Skins will get back to a level of relevance and again become a force in the NFL. Beating Dallas tomorrow on Thanksgiving would definitely provide a good start to that goal.

Also forgot to add that it's a shame John Riggins isn't on TV broadcasting games or having a national football/sports show. Watching so many of these idiots on ESPN, NFL Network and other channels is terrible. Riggins has the humor, intelligence and fearless nature that make for great TV or radio...

The screw turning and we are on the way. I know this because I live in Arlington Texas (relocated) and all ANYBODY here talks about is RGIII....the Redskins. Never Philly or the Gnats. He is an icon as a rookie-even here. Does anybody really understand how good he is? Appreciate the next 15 years. I was there at the beginning of the Hogs & Riggo (hence my screen name) and I have never seen anything like RGIII. Think Michael Jordan; I am totally serious. Regardless of the outcome tomorrow, please appreciate our treasure. THIS will go down in history as the best move we ever made. Book it. HTTR!

Another great production from NFL films. I highly enjoyed all of it. Some of the footage was from the history of the redskins DVD - which I own. I enjoyed the other footage and personal interview. A must watch but just reminds you how long ago the glory days were...

I love the sound byte of Joe Namath talking about he and Riggins were at a bar with Riggins' dad. He was saying Riggins' dad was swallowing his tobacco spit and Namath was like, "Damn, that's John's dad. Now I can see how he got like he is," or something along those lines.

Joe Namath and John Riggins in the same bar ........the guy who owned that bar retired the next day a rich man.

I thought Joey T really nailed it on why Riggo sat out the 80 season. That loss to Dallas and the strange Chicago-St Louis game the same day that kept a 10-6 team out was so painful.

I also loved the piece touching on the Ring of Fame day where he came out in uniform. I remember the game and the day almost 25 years later. Not a soul was at the snackbars for halftime... they were all waiting for Riggo to come out.

Great show on a great Redskin... like everyone says, I sure miss those days of powerful teams and that every game was big.

Clinton Portis was good... But no way he was better than Riggins...

Yeah right

Give him the Hogs to block for him and a franchise level qb like Theismann and there would be no debate.

Glad I missed this. Sounds like another NFL Films mythmaking instead of reality. Riggins sat out 1980 because he was "heartbroken" over the loss to Dallas. GTFOH.

Watching footage of Riggins speed and size brought back some great memories. I liked the stuff they had of him liming up at track meets. He was a moose. Kudos to Joe Gibbs for going to Kansas and getting him out of retirement.

There will never be another team that runs the ball as well as the Redskins did for as long as they did it from 1982 - 1992. Riggins was the one who started it all by demanding they give him the ball.

Yeah right

Give him the Hogs to block for him and a franchise level qb like Theismann and there would be no debate.

Glad I missed this. Sounds like another NFL Films mythmaking instead of reality. Riggins sat out 1980 because he was "heartbroken" over the loss to Dallas. GTFOH.

I think you should watch something before you criticize it.

Sure- much of his success depended on his O-line blocking well--that is true for ANY running back... but he did the rest. And he did it behind the Jets O-line and the Redskins O-line before we had the Hogs.

And, by the way, give Riggins the trainers, dieticians, supplements, technology, and techniques used by today's NFL atheletes and he would have been unbelievably beastly... seriously, just imagine.

Archived