Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Secondary Plans: Who to Cut/Who To Keep/Who would we want to Sign?

Skins199021

I'm not sure what people find so appealing about Jackson and Meriweather?

I hope and think we can do better.

---------- Post added November-27th-2012 at 12:49 PM ----------

...............FS--(Jarius Byrd/Goldson or Rookie FS McDonald/Reid/Vaccaro).........

.....................................SS--(Doughty/Williams or rookie draft pick)...................

CB--(Hall)................................................................................CB--(Rookie CB or FA Keenan Lewis)

Not for nothing.. but Jason Babin was just cut from the Eagles...

Only if he agrees to play OLB in place of Orakpo...

It'd be nice to have someone of his talent to spell Kerrigan while Orakpo is out. Vet min + incentives. Can't be any worse than Orakpo in coverage and we could cut Chris Wilson. Not to mention, Jammal Brown is getting put on IR today...

I read today that Carlos Dunlap (Cincy) would be an FA after this season. I would LOVE to land that guy. Maybe we need LBs more at this moment but that guy has a great motor and really blew us up when we played earlier in the year.

---------- Post added November-27th-2012 at 12:28 PM ----------

It's been 5 years since Sean Taylor has passed and to this day we are still struggling to find someone to play safety

If it's any consolation---and not to diminish Taylor's passing, but Laron Landry was lit on fire by the Pats this past weekend.

---------- Post added November-27th-2012 at 12:28 PM ----------

If it's any consolation---and not to diminish Taylor's passing, but Laron Landry was lit on fire by the Pats this past weekend.

He was alright but I never thought he could lace Sean's cleats. Just didn't bring that same confidence and knowledge of the game to the table. He was always a liability in pass coverage which was something that Sean was beginning to excel in

We don't have luxury first round picks anymore...

Oh cheese and rice the Skins are only missing first rounder for two sodding years. And considering how well RG3 is playing it was a deal, IMO. Unbelivable how folks see how well Griffin is playing and their still griping over two lousy picks. In two years they'll get their first rd drafts back and Griff will still be in the B&G.

The thing that will really hamper talent acquisition is the cap penalty. If it wasn't for that our guys wouldn't be as impacted.

Oh cheese and rice the Skins are only missing first rounder for two sodding years. And considering how well RG3 is playing it was a deal, IMO. Unbelivable how folks see how well Griffin is playing and their still griping over two lousy picks. In two years they'll get their first rd drafts back and Griff will still be in the B&G.

The thing that will really hamper talent acquisition is the cap penalty. If it wasn't for that our guys wouldn't be as impacted.

Love this statement, Bishop. RG3 was well worth the picks given up and quite possibly more. :ols: Truth is, if not for the cap penalty, you can easily imagine what kind of team we would have THIS year. We can make moves (as this organization has proven) that could strengthen this team next season. Get some of our boys back healthy, add a couple of draft picks, and sign a couple of guys; the landscape changes for our D. I, for one, would not be opposed to bringing back Meriweather and Jackson as safeties. Add a couple of young CBs, or a combo of young draft picks and FAs, and we're looking at a different secondary. :D

At the end of the day and what everyone needs to comprehend is that the cap penalty (and let me echo the whole Go **** Yourself, Mara :mad:) hampered our team's ability to adequately address our needs the way I'm sure Shanny wanted to in the 1st place. That's ok though, we can give a huge **** you, Mara on Monday Night! :point2sky

Love this statement, Bishop. RG3 was well worth the picks given up and quite possibly more. :ols: Truth is, if not for the cap penalty, you can easily imagine what kind of team we would have THIS year. We can make moves (as this organization has proven) that could strengthen this team next season. Get some of our boys back healthy, add a couple of draft picks, and sign a couple of guys; the landscape changes for our D. I, for one, would not be opposed to bringing back Meriweather and Jackson as safeties. Add a couple of young CBs, or a combo of young draft picks and FAs, and we're looking at a different secondary. :D

At the end of the day and what everyone needs to comprehend is that the cap penalty (and let me echo the whole Go **** Yourself, Mara :mad:) hampered our team's ability to adequately address our needs the way I'm sure Shanny wanted to in the 1st place. That's ok though, we can give a huge **** you, Mara on Monday Night! :point2sky

That makes two of us. Meriweather's impact at safety was undeniable. Jackson is clearly an upgrade over anyone else we have to play at FS and definitely showed well in preseason. I would not be opposed at all to having both back. Jackson's time off will allow his shoulder to fully recover (provided he stays in shape). He and Meriweather would have formed a MUCH better safety tandem this year and secondary in general - we would be a much different defense with them.

Bringing both back next year is a relatively cheap option that already vastly improves our secondary and is not simply a 1-2 year bandaid as they are both still young and can play. It also allows us to focus more on Corners and young D-linemen with our limited resources this offseason.

...... Jackson's time off will allow his shoulder to fully recover (provided he stays in shape).....

Bringing both back next year is a relatively cheap option.....

A big problem with Jackson is that he is suspended for a FULL year. He will not be able to practice or play until late August from what I understand. That means no training camp and no preseason games. He may be good, but he won't be football ready until week 2, 3 or 4.

and that assumes he's allowed back in. He wasn't suspended a year, he was suspended indefinitely. A year is just the minimum time before you can apply for readmission.

Jackson has a drug problem - I think there is close to zero chance he is playing on any NFL roster next season and certainly not ours. Even if we did want him back - and I doubt we do - as others have sad he would not be eligible for reinstatement until late in preseason. Jackson is not an option for multiple reasons.

Jackson has a drug problem - I think there is close to zero chance he is playing on any NFL roster next season and certainly not ours. Even if we did want him back - and I doubt we do - as others have sad he would not be eligible for reinstatement until late in preseason. Jackson is not an option for multiple reasons.

I like the potential Jackson offers, but I suppose I'd be a little surprised if we kept him. On the flip side, I'm fine with keeping him as long they act on the assumption he won't be available.

Really stinks that we're in such a degree of the unknown with Bernstine, Merriweather and Jackson.

Archived