Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Secondary Plans: Who to Cut/Who To Keep/Who would we want to Sign?

Skins199021

The most important thing we need to add to our secondary is a pass rush. You could bring back Green and Sanders in their prime (shudder - maybe not Sanders) and without any pass rush they are going to get beat.

We do need to make some moves including probably 2 new safeties and a starting calibre corner but unless that coupled with getting to the QB it's window dressing.

I would part ways with those players mostly due to our 2013 cap situation:

DHall, Moss, Fletcher ( it pains me to put him here), Cooley, Brown (injuries), Merriweather (injuries), Doughty, Williams.

Free Agents wish list: RT Brandon Albert, CB DRC, FS Jaryus Byrd ( I'm not sure we can afford him even with the above cuts).

Draft: I would go for a Risk/Reward strategy in the late rounds, trying to find the Janoris Jenkins and Vontaze Burfict type of players.

The first two picks would be a WR+S or the other way around.

2nd: WR Marquess Wilson 6-4/183 or FS Kenny Vaccaro 6-1/218

3rd: A Safety to choose from: Bacarri Rambo 6-0 210, Shawn Williams 6-1/218, Robert Lester 6-2/206, or WR Da'Rick Rogers 6-3/208

4th: ILB Andrew Jackson 6-1/265 (maybe a Ray Lewis type of a LB)

5th: OT Seantrel Henderson 6-8/345

5th: CB Tyrann Mathieu CB 5-9/175 Risk/Reward

6th: SS Ray Ray Armstrong 6-4/220 Risk/Reward

6th: TE Jake Stoneburner 6-5/245

7th/UDFA: CB Greg Reid 5-8/188 (depending on injury recovery) High Risk/Reward

Hall can't be kept. He costs too much, his numbers are terrible this year, and he's a me first player.

I sure hope Reed's tenure has finally ended.

Jackson, Meriweather, Wilson, Gomes should stay.

We need to draft at CB at pick #40 and also grab another one or two in FA.

Don't forget Crawford and Bernstein.

---------- Post added November-7th-2012 at 10:40 AM ----------

And what does everyone see in Dominic Rogers-Cromartie?

Keep:

Wilson (best of the CBs we have and we can't replace them all)

Crawford (continue to develop a rookie who's shown some talent)

Cut:

Hall (too expensive and makes too many mistakes)

Williams (the worst player in the secondary IMO)

On the edge, cut some, keep others:

Doughty (good special teams, but a backup safety at best. At least he tries though)

Gomes (may still have some upside)

Minnifield (if he recovers from injury he looks to have the talent)

Merriweather (if he recovers from injury)

Jackson (ideally he'd be shown the door as he's unreliable, but if we don't get a FA free safety I doubt any rookie we draft will be able to step in at the start of next season)

Cedric Griffin (depending on what other upgrades we manage at CB he could be gone)

Sign:

Jairus Byrd (FS) if we can afford him, then draft a CB with our top pick. Hopefully the ZBS allows us to pick up a RT lower in the draft.

Josh Wilson shouln't be on the skins PS let alone on the team,let alone starting. I have no idea what his supporter see in him. I really don't.

At least when you're watching on TV, Wilson is in the picture when the ball is caught by the opposing receiver whereas Hall is not even in the frame. As bad as our secondary is, that's how I judge them.

Sign Tracy Porter in the offseason like we should have done this season... Draft a SS. Move Hall to FS. Porter/Wilson are starters. Cedric Griffin on the nickel package and Richard Crawford/Minnifield as backups. Minnifield starts season on practice squad. We may use some later picks and bring in UDFA CB's for tryouts as well.

Cut Hall, Reed, and Williams. Reconstruct Wilson deal or extend him to lower per year. Get Mundy FS, Derek Cox CB, and DRC CB in FA. We have Crawford, Minnifield, Gomes, and Berstine as young backups. Add Micah Hyde CB/FS Iowa, Neon McFadden CB SDSU, and Ray Ray Armstong SS to that core. Starting secondary would be DRC #1 CB, Cox #2 CB, Merriweather SS, Mundy FS. Your nickle would be Wilson.

Cut Hall, Reed, and Williams. Reconstruct Wilson deal or extend him to lower per year. Get Mundy FS, Derek Cox CB, and DRC CB in FA. We have Crawford, Minnifield, Gomes, and Berstine as young backups. Add Micah Hyde CB/FS Iowa, Neon McFadden CB SDSU, and Ray Ray Armstong SS to that core. Starting secondary would be DRC #1 CB, Cox #2 CB, Merriweather SS, Mundy FS. Your nickle would be Wilson.

Boom!

Well, my first move is trying to trade Hall.

My second move is getting Tanard Jackson eligible to play and hooking him up with PD93 to get some Jesus and some help.

If I can trade Hall... I cut him and sign a quality corner.

I'll probably keep Wilson and get Minnifield up to speed as well.

I'm drafting a RT in the 2nd round and then DBs and maybe a big WR the rest of the draft. So we'll see if we can hit on one.

I don't know who I'd sign yet... but after this year, I've changed my tune on Doughty... he's been in position at least... which is more than I can say for Williams. So Doughty needs to stay.

Well, my first move is trying to trade Hall.

My second move is getting Tanard Jackson eligible to play and hooking him up with PD93 to get some Jesus and some help.

If I can trade Hall... I cut him and sign a quality corner.

I'll probably keep Wilson and get Minnifield up to speed as well.

I'm drafting a RT in the 2nd round and then DBs and maybe a big WR the rest of the draft. So we'll see if we can hit on one.

I don't know who I'd sign yet... but after this year, I've changed my tune on Doughty... he's been in position at least... which is more than I can say for Williams. So Doughty needs to stay.

Who the hell would want Hall

Archived