Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Secondary Plans: Who to Cut/Who To Keep/Who would we want to Sign?

Skins199021

Who the hell would want Hall

Yeah, I love the idea of trading Hall. The reality is there in no way in heck anyone takes on his salary and level of play and also gives up anything for him. Maybe if we paid them a bunch of money to take him off our hands, but he's almost definitely a roster cut.

I could see Hall getting traded for a late round pick, except that it would come with lots of conditions. So basically, something like a conditional 6th rounder.

Basically, Hall has to make the roster which requires him:

- To restructure his deal down to, at most, a couple million a year.

- Not mouth off. I like Hall's passion. I don't like his judgement. The 2nd one could get him cut.

Anyways, I probably try and do that. If no one bites, cut.

So the Colts are 6-3 where we are 3-6. They literally had less talent to work with than we do, they have 21 rookies, free agents, castoffs etc. They lost their coach due to illness. So the excuses of injuries etc don't add up.

This is either a coaching failure or a player evaluation failure.. period..end of story.

I think it's a player evaluation failure frankly, I believe that Shanahan is as responsible as anyone, even more so than Allen.

So the question just resolved in politics needs to be address. Do we give Shanahan more time or do we "elect" to move in yet another direction?

So the Colts are 6-3 where we are 3-6. They literally had less talent to work with than we do, they have 21 rookies, free agents, castoffs etc. They lost their coach due to illness. So the excuses of injuries etc don't add up.

This is either a coaching failure or a player evaluation failure.. period..end of story.

I think it's a player evaluation failure frankly, I believe that Shanahan is as responsible as anyone, even more so than Allen.

So the question just resolved in politics needs to be address. Do we give Shanahan more time or do we "elect" to move in yet another direction?

Colts play in one of the weaker divisions in the NFL. Their "lack of talent" isn't quite as literal as you think it is. They did a serious tank job last year to get that number one pick. They didn't lose their starting safeties before the season started nor did they lose their best pass rusher in the second game of the season. They have a legit #1 receiver, ours played one quarter.

Oh, and one more thing: we *can't* "elect" to go with or without Shanahan - Skins aren't a democracy.

Not that it has any place in this thread, but the Colts also have a Hall of Fame wide receiver and Dwight Freeney, along with the easiest schedule in the NFL so...shrug. Plus having your coach fight for his life can be inspiring. The Colts beat the Browns, Jaguars, Vikings, Tennessee, Miami and Green Bay (when they were playing absolutely terrible).

As far as the secondary, what exactly is the deal with Jackson? I thought he showed promise during the preseason. Madieu and Hall will likely be gone. I see Wilson staying.

As far as the secondary, what exactly is the deal with Jackson? I thought he showed promise during the preseason. Madieu and Hall will likely be gone. I see Wilson staying.

Suspended for the year. Substance abuse. Hopefully we keep him around because when he's on the field, he's a good safety.

Just curious, but how highly rated is Byrd in terms of how much money would he fetch on the FA market?

He's considered one of the best FS FAs in the upcoming year, and is one of the better FSs in the league. I would assume he'll be in line for a sizable contract, probably around the 7M/year figure.

Suspended for the year. Substance abuse. Hopefully we keep him around because when he's on the field, he's a good safety.

Doesn't he also have to be reinstated by Goodell? I guess normally that's a gimme, but since this is his 2nd long time-out, maybe Goodell doesn't pull the trigger for a while on reinstatement.

I could cut the following and seek quality upgrades ...

1/ Brandon Merriweather, DB

2/ Tanard Jackson, DB

3/ Reed Doughty, Safety

4/ Brandon Banks, KR/PR

5/ Chris Cooley, TE (love you for ALL you have done, but its time you to join the Skin's coaching staff)

6/ Jammal Brown, RT

7/ Roy Helu, RB

8/ Evan Royster, RB (just hasn't been productive. we need a GOOD backup to Albert Morris)

9/ Rex Grossman, QB

10/ Adam Carriker, DE

11/ Jeremy Jarmon, DE (niot sure is he is doing anything)

12/ S. Rocca, Punter

13/ Santana Moss, WR

14/ Aldrick Robinson, WR

Why would anyone want to cut Roy Helu?

You guys do realize he was a 1st-team All-Rookie running back last season, right? And his skillset is the perfect compliment to Morris. Jeez, a freak injury and all of a sudden we should give up on a young, game-breaking former draft pick in his 2nd season.

I would target a veteran assignment sound FS through FA (Goldson, Byrd, Mundy)

SS spot would be manned by Meriweather. Back-ups would be Josh Bernstine and a veteran Doughty/Maddie

I would target 2 young CBs that are willing and able to play press man and they gotta be smart/assignment sound.

One could come via the draft the other through mid-level FA. (Van Dyke, Brice McCain etc)

I wouldn't want to bring Hall nor Wilson back.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Redskins keep DeAngelo Hall but I doubt if he remains a starter next year if he remains. They will draft a quality corner back in the 2nd round next April. Josh Wilson should stay but I'd be looking past him too for an upgrade. Madieu Williams is a sure goner. Tanard Jackson could come back, but what's the chances of him not violating the substance abuse policy yet again? Let's not forget that the Redskins have Jordan Bersteine. Brandon Meriweather should stay.

You can't cut anyone until you have someone to fill that hole. With the cap debacle, we may be stuck with what we have under contract for another year. I would try to re-work Hall to a more reasonable number.

I would not re-sign any of them who are at the end of their contract until we are forced to do so. I would not re-sign Wilson on a bet.

• 3 weeks later...
It would be nice to get him and Ryan Clady, but can we even do that is the question.

You don't like anyone of these guys?

Sam Shields, Aqib Talib, Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Jason McCourty

It depends on which salaries we dump. I personally like all 5 of those guys, the key will be getting discounts.

If we could get 2 out of the 3 positions: RT, S, CB filled through key free agent moves I think we'd all be more than happy.

I would target a veteran assignment sound FS through FA (Goldson, Byrd, Mundy)

SS spot would be manned by Meriweather. Back-ups would be Josh Bernstine and a veteran Doughty/Maddie

I would target 2 young CBs that are willing and able to play press man and they gotta be smart/assignment sound.

One could come via the draft the other through mid-level FA. (Van Dyke, Brice McCain etc)

I wouldn't want to bring Hall nor Wilson back.

Update:

Add CB Keenan Lewis (Steelers) to my FA CB list

Remove Brandon Meriweather from being penciled in to return due to injury concerns

If D. Hall restructures he can come back

Update:

Add CB Keenan Lewis (Steelers) to my FA CB list

Remove Brandon Meriweather from being penciled in to return due to injury concerns

If D. Hall restructures he can come back

I'm fine with Hall coming back, but he the pay cut he needs to take is massive. I don't know if he'd want to do something so severe.

Isn't Meriweather pretty cheap and with incentives? How much is he actually costing us?

Your crazy if you think we should keep Wilson. The guy can't cover and is to short to play corner back.

I agree cut Hall hes not worth what hes getting paid and his attitude is bad.

Don't mind giving Jackson his 14 chance, but we better have a backup plan. He will get into trouble again.

Goldson from SF.

Shields from Mia

These guys would be a upgrade, but who says they will be available.

Wilson's ok, but as is usual with this team, he can't be the best corner on your team. As a 2nd or 3rd corner, which he was on other teams, he's ok. He's like Moss when we had him as a #1 WR when he shouldn't have been. When used properly, a guy's deficiencies aren't magnified.

And you can be 5'9 and play corner. Half the league's corners are probably in that 5'8'-5'10" range. Antoine Winfield, Asante Samuel, Kyle Wilson, Ladarius Webb, Tim Jennings, Brent Grimes, Courtland Finnegan, all corners of note in that 5'8"-5"10" range.

The following roster spots should be in question going forward

Rex grossman

Keiland Williams

Banks? Still holding hope I know I'm the minority,

Cooley

Black

Brown

Gholston

Worthington

Wilson

Jackson?

C. Griffin?

T. Jackson

Williams

Doughty

These guys should be replaced with draft picks, and a few free agents that are inexpensive.

I don't see any way that Hall can be kept. I'm assuming we take much of what he's owed to find a suitable replacement via FA.

Williams will be gone, of course. I don't agree with those suggesting we cut Wilson.

We can try again with Merriweather and Jackson, but we need a serious backup plan (no pun intended) if we keep them. Jackson is a huge ?, and Merriweather will have a tough time getting healthy before the season begins.

Doughty/Gomes with Bernstine in on obvious passing downs is ok with me if Brandon is on the PUP. If we keep Jackson, ideally we draft a FS to compete with him (if he's reinstated/retained) and Bernstine. If we don't have Jackson, I'd hope we pay for a quality FS in FA.

Gutting the secondary is tempting given their play this year, but not really practical. A replacement for Hall is a must, as well as sorting out the FS position. If we do these two things and keep Merriweather we should improve, not break the bank and not have to start from scratch in terms of cohesion.

So:

Cb1: FA

Cb2: Wilson

Cb3: Griffin/Crawford/Minnifield

SS: Merriweather/Gomes/Bernstine (and Doughty if Bernstine plays FS or Merriweather isn't ready in time).

FS: Jackson or FA/Draft Pick/Bernstine (if he doesn't play/backup SS)

Slot corner is another concern, but I'm hoping Crawford/Minnifield/Griffin can step up.

Archived