Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IF Shanahan is let go, who do you want as the new head coach and GM next year?

NIKKI8

I used to believe in giving Shannys another year, but I think this gimmick offense is so dumb. I want them to run a REAL nfl offense that will actually work for longer then a year. If they keep up the gimmick BS, fire them. I want Andy Reid as HC. He doenst have a ring yet, hes obviously still hungry, and regardless of what you say about Philadelphia, they ahve been the top of the east for years. We need a d coordinator that can change the defense immediately. Overpay for Wade Phillips. Then, for O coordinator, bring an up and comer that Reid chooses.

I used to believe in giving Shannys another year, but I think this gimmick offense is so dumb. I want them to run a REAL nfl offense that will actually work for longer then a year. If they keep up the gimmick BS, fire them. I want Andy Reid as HC. He doenst have a ring yet, hes obviously still hungry, and regardless of what you say about Philadelphia, they ahve been the top of the east for years. We need a d coordinator that can change the defense immediately. Overpay for Wade Phillips. Then, for O coordinator, bring an up and comer that Reid chooses.

Oh HELL NO! NO NO NO! :puke:

If you want an overrated, offensive coach who is simply awful at in-game management and clock management, we might as well go hire back Norv Turner after San Diego cans him.

Here's how I look at it. If the Eagles have a dissapointing season and fire Andy Reid, I'd sign Andy Reid as head coach. We may not get a Superbowl, but we'd have a better shot at the playoffs. He knows what to do with his weapons on offense. And if you look at our offense, we have a decent roster. He wouldn't have to do any rebuilding, like Mike Shanahan had. Our team is young and I think that's what Reid would want. As for defense, I'd bring back Gregg Williams. The man served his punishment and is keeping a clean slate. His history hear in Washington was honest. We had a decent 4-3 with him. Sign him back. Danny Smith is also qualified to stay. Not to mention, we'd beat the Eagles twice a season.

If Andy Reid were hired as head coach, I'd predict a 8-8 or 9-7 season, his first year. He's more of the traditional offense style, so we will see I-formation, shotgun and occasionally some wild-cat.

If you want an overrated, offensive coach who is simply awful at in-game management and clock management, we might as well go hire back Norv Turner after San Diego cans him.

I understand why you say taht, but how can you say Reid is not a phenomenal coach? Tell me you didnt want to be Philly ffor the past decade? When have they NOT been relevant? Reids the only coach that kept his team ridiculously good for a solid 10-12 years. They are having problems the past two years, yes tahts true. But give me a break, clock management? Reid has made Phila a superbowl team, and while they were sweeping us year after year, we were sitting on the sidelines. The guys an offensive mastermind. Look at the weaponst hey have on offense as well. Jackson, Maclin, Avant, Mccoy, Celek. Dudes are all great pklayers, all very young and very fast. For people to think Reids a bad coach is ridiculous. He may not have the best clock management or "challenege" skills,b ut the guy can coach.

I would prefer begging for Marty to come back before i hire Andy Reid..

I understand why you say taht, but how can you say Reid is not a phenomenal coach? Tell me you didnt want to be Philly ffor the past decade? When have they NOT been relevant? Reids the only coach that kept his team ridiculously good for a solid 10-12 years. They are having problems the past two years, yes tahts true. But give me a break, clock management? Reid has made Phila a superbowl team, and while they were sweeping us year after year, we were sitting on the sidelines. The guys an offensive mastermind. Look at the weaponst hey have on offense as well. Jackson, Maclin, Avant, Mccoy, Celek. Dudes are all great pklayers, all very young and very fast. For people to think Reids a bad coach is ridiculous. He may not have the best clock management or "challenege" skills,b ut the guy can coach.

I agree. Andy Reid would fit well here. And not just because he was successful in Philly. A caller pointed out something very true on 106.7 The Fan the other morning. The Redskins need to get more coaches who have not won a Superbowl. When you get these legendary coaches, they get in their own mindset of doing things. I think that's what we're experiencing with Mike Shanahan. With Andy Reid, your going to get a hungry coach. He wants to win a superbowl and is open to new ideas. I bet, if he were our coach, he would have signed Plaxico Burress by now. After all, he did sign Michael Vick.

Again, let's look at the weapons he has. RGIII and Alfred Morris. RGIII us a young Michael Vick and Alfred Morris is a powerful McCoy. Overall, he would be stepping into youth & power. I'd also put money on it, that he could further develop Roy Helu and Evan Rosyer. I'd love to see Reid pull out a split back scheme with Rosyter and Helu on 3rd down. Clock management can always be adjusted. With RGIII, your going to have more running options, so if nobodies open, he'll get you at least 5-10 yards on a run.

FO: Eric DeCosta

HC: Kevin Gilbride

OC: Kyle Shanahan

DC: Reggie Herring

I think young Shanahan would do well with Gilbride guiding him. Say what you want about the Giants, but they are well-coached/disciplined (2nd least penalized team in the NFL) and they show no quit, especially on offense. Reggie Herring is pretty well-versed on Wade Phillips's 3-4, and has produced some exceptional linebackers. DeCosta finds superstars in the draft pretty consistently regardless of who's coaching the Ravens. I can't believe he isn't a full GM yet.

Here's how I look at it. If the Eagles have a dissapointing season and fire Andy Reid, I'd sign Andy Reid as head coach. We may not get a Superbowl, but we'd have a better shot at the playoffs. He knows what to do with his weapons on offense. And if you look at our offense, we have a decent roster. He wouldn't have to do any rebuilding, like Mike Shanahan had. Our team is young and I think that's what Reid would want. As for defense, I'd bring back Gregg Williams. The man served his punishment and is keeping a clean slate. His history hear in Washington was honest. We had a decent 4-3 with him. Sign him back. Danny Smith is also qualified to stay. Not to mention, we'd beat the Eagles twice a season.

If Andy Reid were hired as head coach, I'd predict a 8-8 or 9-7 season, his first year. He's more of the traditional offense style, so we will see I-formation, shotgun and occasionally some wild-cat.

Bringing back Greg Williams is the last thing we need. Who would want that circus?

Again, let's look at the weapons he has. RGIII and Alfred Morris. RGIII us a young Michael Vick and Alfred Morris is a powerful McCoy.

Not sure if I could disagree with this statement more.

Vick and RG3 are not that similar, outside of their running. What exactly is AT ALL similar between Alfred Morris and McCoy? They're about as different style of backs as you can get. Alfred is a grinder, looking for positive yards each play, with a single read and cut and getting his pads square. McCoy is a speed back that works with his agility to try to make the most out of plays. Completely different. If (and I'm not suggesting we should) we get Andy Reid, I'd be willing to bet Helu would start in front of Morris.

FO: Eric DeCosta

HC: Kevin Gilbride

OC: Kyle Shanahan

DC: Reggie Herring

I think young Shanahan would do well with Gilbride guiding him. Say what you want about the Giants' date=' but they are well-coached/disciplined (2nd least penalized team in the NFL) and they show no quit, especially on offense. Reggie Herring is pretty well-versed on Wade Phillips's 3-4, and has produced some exceptional linebackers. DeCosta finds superstars in the draft pretty consistently regardless of who's coaching the Ravens. I can't believe he isn't a full GM yet.[/quote']

This would be a dream for me.

I am, however, still very much in the Shanahan camp.

We're losing, so this is why this thread exists. I don't believe in excuses, I'm sick of that ****, but that cap hit ****ed us more than any of us will ever understand. Injuries don't help, either.

I give Mike another year, and then I see if Kyle would take the head coach position (he would after two more years, anyway), Herring, and DeCosta. DeCosta being the most important out of all of those.

Good God. He hasn't even been here 3 years and you want to throw him out. Can we possibly get some sense of stability somewhere in this organization? I am tired of the whiny fans who demand trips to the Super Bowl no matter how crappy of a team we have. This ultimately leads to reaches in free agency, trading away lots of picks for some shiny new overpaid toy, and busting the cap to pay for it all. And it doesn't work.

Vinny gutted this team, and it is going to take more than 3 years of rebuilding to resolve it. Plus, injuries have taken away the few decent players we have and the cap debacle is killing our ability to add 2 or 3 starters, which is another gift from Vinny.

Don't get me wrong, Shanahan has mad some missteps along the way, Going to a 3-4, the Haynesworth situation, McNabb, Landry, Rodgers. But overall, we are moving in the right direction. This isn't baseball and we're not the Yankees, we cannot simply pay whatever we want to buy a perennial playoff team.

First of all, you all know if we start fresh next year; it's another complete overhaul of the roster. The only the new regime will probably keep is RG3. That would be a selling point to attract a new coach. Thing is the new coach and Bruce Allen or some other new GM will have to build an entire team. That will take 3 years probably around the time RG3 will be up for free agency.

Shanny should go nowhere after this season. What Shanny the coach should do is fire Shanny the GM and his DC: Jim Haslett. Shanny will be the #1 coach in the hot seat next year and if the Skins aren't at least in playoff contention all the way to at least Week 16; then he will be fired.

Why any Skins fans would want an Iggle? Andy Reid is going to the Chargers next head coach.

The one thing Snyder hasn't tried is having a real GM and then the GM will run the show and pick the next coach. Anyone think Vinny was a real GM? Dan will never give that power away. When it is time for a new coach; Dan will go after the next big name. Odds are if Shanny is gone after this season or next and Gruden is available; he will probably be the first person on Danny's list.

To be perfectly honest, I really hope Shannahan is back, but he replaces Haslett with someone competent at DC, and let's them run their defense instead of forcing a change like was done when we went from a 4-3 to this horrid 3-4. Still wish that, if we have to run a 3-4 we could get someone like Wade Phillips (never to be a Head Coach for us.)

Keep both Daddy Shanny and Allen...

I would be open to hearing about a new OC...( I understand how Daddy isn't gonna fire son) But wouldn't lose my mind if we kept all 3.

How would our D have done without the injuries?? The DC had ZERO for secondary...even if healthy.

So many HORRIBLE coaches have ended up GREAT coaches...It often has to do with personnel...and timing.

I am not positive that our coaches suck...But...They are not instilling any real confidence right now.

I doubt he's going anywhere. Getting RG3 gave him some job security.

The much-maligned Kyle, if the offense plays like it has most of the season, is the best coach on the staff and will get some head coaching interviews. I prefer him to his Dad at this point. Very well-respected by the players and by folks around the league.

Whoever it is I hope the head coach is not the general manager.

This is exactly what I think. Not a big fan of coaches who control everything.

That said, I think Shanny should stay for another year and perhaps consider that he might be doing to much with mediocrity instead of few things excellently.

The coaching revolving door is tiresome. He came here with a mess and while it is still a mess am not sure it is time to again switch gears and start fresh. I would like for him to be head coach only and not GM or anything else.

I remember reading the threads here of "tracking Redskins 1", "they are at Mortons", "we got our guy for the future" with so much excitement about the next 10 years under Shanahan.

Since Gibbs #1, (1993) we have tried nobodys (Zorn), college somebodys (the "Ole ball coach),internal guys (Robiski and Pettibone) prior coaches (Marty and Norv), the legacy (Gibbs 2) and Shanahan. None have made anyone happy for long. Of them all, only Gibbs2 and Norv lasted more than 2 years. Shanny and his ego drive me nuts at time, but I just don;t know what other options we have not tried. Finish the five years and see where we are at that time, injury free, one more year of RG3.

Hail

Reids the only coach that kept his team ridiculously good for a solid 10-12 years. They are having problems the past two years, yes tahts true. But give me a break, clock management?

How much of that was Jim Johnson and the defensive players?

Since he passed away, they are now on their 3rd D coordinator and the defense and the team haven't done nearly as well.

If you go back and look, a lot of years, the defense lead that team. When you go back and look at how they won games w/ people like AJ Feely playing, it was mostly defense that lead the team.

Archived