Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IF Shanahan is let go, who do you want as the new head coach and GM next year?

NIKKI8

Screw it, Redskins fans just don't understand, bring back Vinny!!

Vinny!! Vinny!! Vinny!! Vinny!!

We will never be a solid team if we keep swapping coaches and systems every 3 years, as a matter of fact, RG3 will only be average at best if he has to learn a new system every 3 years.

Maybe try hiring the right coach for a change. That might help. Anyone who thinks after 14-27 that Shanahan is the right guy, is just trying to convince themselves. Any player or coach will tell you by 3 years, there should be some improvements. Other than RG3, we have seen very little. Again 3-6 is 3-6 anyway you slice it. Only the Panthers have a worse record than we do in the NFC. Was that in the plan for this year? Both the Fins and Colts were supposed to be much worse that the Skins. Look at the way they're playing.

I am not disagreeing (sp) with anyone but could someone tell me why Lou Spanos was such a great coach. I often see on here that people think he should be brought back as DC. I know that he was an assistant LB coach in Pittsburgh for a long time and coached the Linebackers here for 2 years. Just curoius as to why people want him as defensive coordinator.

Okay' date=' I'm biased (Oregon alum), but Chip Kelly has my vote. He'd do AMAZING things with RG3 and or offense. Find a competent DC and Special Teams coach and we'd be all set! Great write-up on Chip and what he'd bring to the NFL: [url']http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men-action/201211/how-oregon-coach-chip-kelly-can-spark-moneyball-revolution-nfl[/url]

I was just about to post something similar -- I was reading the yahoo article and thought how awesome they could be together

This team had the number 1 scoring offense almost halfway through the season without a true number 1 or 2 reciever for most of the year which couldnt happen without amazing playcalling. Also lol at all the people wanting to bring in chip kelly yet call snyder dumb in hindsight for hiring Spurrier whose track record as a college football offensive genius was second to none when hired.

Okay' date=' I'm biased (Oregon alum), but Chip Kelly has my vote. He'd do AMAZING things with RG3 and or offense. Find a competent DC and Special Teams coach and we'd be all set! Great write-up on Chip and what he'd bring to the NFL: [url']http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/men-action/201211/how-oregon-coach-chip-kelly-can-spark-moneyball-revolution-nfl[/url]

I'm sold on either that man or his philosophy.

Chip and his schemes scream NCAA, and I don't want that for the Redskins.

Shanahan isn't going anywhere, and I think we can succeed with him here, albeit with a new OC and DC. The entire coaching staff needs to be blown up and rebuilt, but it won't happen this offseason. Maybe in 2014.

Maybe try hiring the right coach for a change. That might help. Anyone who thinks after 14-27 that Shanahan is the right guy, is just trying to convince themselves. Any player or coach will tell you by 3 years, there should be some improvements. Other than RG3, we have seen very little. Again 3-6 is 3-6 anyway you slice it. Only the Panthers have a worse record than we do in the NFC. Was that in the plan for this year? Both the Fins and Colts were supposed to be much worse that the Skins. Look at the way they're playing.

There are at least 2 and maybe 3 players that would have been on the defense and aren't because of a last minute salary cap penalty. That is why there is no situation that is comparable. It has never happened before. 18 million in salary cap is equal to 1/7 of the total amount we could spend. 1/7 of our roster is 7.5 players. Then to adjust it so that it is a 2 year penalty instead of a possible 1 year penalty is ridiculous. You take those salary cap injuries and add them to the real injuries and you are looking at a team with about half of it's possible starters and no depth. There is a reason why we grasped at Tanard..we had no money to do anything else.

Shanahan isn't going anywhere, and I think we can succeed with him here, albeit with a new OC and DC. The entire coaching staff needs to be blown up and rebuilt, but it won't happen this offseason. Maybe in 2014.

I'm fine with staying patient for now...and I don't know much about CK's schemes. What I want adopted is his philosophy and use of analytics to always make decisions that optimize our chances for success. It doesn't matter to me which playbook we are using.

C'mon--don't you think that Kyle's "scheme" this year is ripped, at least in part, from RG3's days at Baylor? Having some success w/that scheme, wouldn't you say? Did you even read the article? His philosophy is more the secret to his success than his scheme. And THAT, my friend, would translate well to the NFL. It's all about playing the numbers/percentages and that's something that Chip's not afraid to do and it's paid off for him in spades.

Being realistic, I don't see a lot of hope for Shanahan, even though I think he's the best available coach. The current roster has too many holes and its a thin as a Victoria Secret model. It's not possible to fill the holes with competent starters by the time Shanny's contract is up. Assuming this is the final year for Fletcher, Hall and Moss, those are three important positions that will need to be filled next year and there is no one on the present roster to step up. Those positions will need to be filled from the draft or free agency just to stay even with where we are today. Additionally, there needs to be improvement on the OL, and other secondary and linebacker positions. So at a minimum, six new starters (2xsecondary, 1 receiver, 2xLB and at least one OL) need to be found for next year. And still that would leave no depth. Shanny and Allen can't do all that with no first round draft choice and a reduced cap space. No one could.

It simply is not possible to get that many good starters (I'm counting Moss as the starter because he is clearly the most effective receiver on the team) through free agency. Just one quality CB in free agency will cost a fortune. And please don't tell me that we'll be able to get players who are ready to start within the next two years from the middle rounds of the draft. The Skins don't draft any better in the middle rounds than anyone else - they just have a greater need for starters, so their draft choices tend to become starters. Getting more than one reliable starter from rounds 3 and down per year is exceptional. And with good drafting teams, most of the mid-round starters are groomed until their third year. Shanny needs players who can start now.

So to me, the real question for right now is whether you extend Shanny's contract or not. He's not going to make the Skins a contender in the next two years, unless RG3 can play CB and find a way to throw deep to himself. With the exception of Zorn, all of the coaches in the Snyder era have had good pedigrees. Those that have continued to coach after their Skins job have had success. Just a thought - maybe coach isn't the problem. On the other hand, if you are going to get a new coach, it's a lot better to do so when most of the positions need to be churned anyway. Either extend his contract now, or move on to someone else.

C'mon--don't you think that Kyle's "scheme" this year is ripped' date=' at least in part, from RG3's days at Baylor? Having some success w/that scheme, wouldn't you say? Did you even read the article? His philosophy is more the secret to his success than his scheme. And THAT, my friend, would translate well to the NFL. It's all about playing the numbers/percentages and that's something that Chip's not afraid to do and it's paid off for him in spades.[/quote']

1. I don't like Kyle's scheme.

2. The challenge inherent in the transition from college to the pros applies as much to coaches as it does to players. Chip would not only have to implement a new scheme and hope it works in an NFL context, but also adjust to the speed of the NFL in real time (remember, he's got to manage these games at all levels) and also relate to NFL players, which is a jump, as we all remember from the Spurrier years. These are variables I'm not convinced we should take a chance on with such a young offense, but hey, it has worked in the past.

3. I'm a bit concerned with Chip's post-season abilities. Oregon is 1-2 in bowls under his regime, though last year they may have turned a corner. Their offense has a tendency to look ordinary in January, though that likely has to do with the strength of opposition more than anything. They play like 3 really good teams a year in the Pac-12.

THIS.

Im a fan of always giving the coach time, but guys you really are kidding yourselves if you think Shanny needs more time. Year 3 and we are still the joke of the NFC. We got our QB, and now the rest of our team is all of a sudden terrible. Yes, injuries... Yes, tough schedule, its still inexcusable. I liked hiring Mike Shanahan and was happy about Kyle, but in the back of my mind I said to myself, these father/son combos of coaching NEVER work. And it looks like this isnt working either. We are 3-6 again, probably going to be 6-10, its just starting to get old. We want to have a winner, but we just never get one.

Funny part is, all of us, whether we admit it or not, knew this was going to happen. Even when RG3 was on fire, we all knew something bad was gonna happen and the Skins would come crashing back to earth. Every time us Skins fans get our hopes up even the slightest amount, we get a reality check. Last year we started 3-1 and thought maybe we had something... LOL great season that turned out to be. This year Rg3 looked like the next Steve Young, and now the past two weeks hes been less than average. When does it end? When do we get a break seriously?

I have a Redskins tattoo on my forearm, Im here for life, and Im still proud that Ive stuck with this team through thick and thin, but, I honestly feel like a little 8 year old kid crying to myself pitying myself asking God "why?" The Colts are already winning again, and yet here we are, cursed... Why? Seriously, did the indians curse us for having the name "redskins"? Im so tired of it man. I honestly need to go to a shrink, its getting that bad.

Edit/PS:

Heres a great example of what a Skins fan thinks:

In the Carolina game, when we didnt get the TD on 4th and Goal, how many of you KNEW the panthers were going to go on a 98 yard drive for a TD? Seriously, I bet its 99%, I knew it right away and said it to my friends

Also in the game when Carolina was on the otehr side of the field inside their own 10 yard line, how many of you KNEW that Newton was going to get a BIG pass off and get a huge gain tog et out of his own danger zone? 99% I bet again. How scary is it we know when a bad play or drive is coming? Maybe we are cursed.

1. I don't like Kyle's scheme.

2. The challenge inherent in the transition from college to the pros applies as much to coaches as it does to players. Chip would not only have to implement a new scheme and hope it works in an NFL context, but also adjust to the speed of the NFL in real time (remember, he's got to manage these games at all levels) and also relate to NFL players, which is a jump, as we all remember from the Spurrier years. These are variables I'm not convinced we should take a chance on with such a young offense, but hey, it has worked in the past.

3. I'm a bit concerned with Chip's post-season abilities. Oregon is 1-2 in bowls under his regime, though last year they may have turned a corner. Their offense has a tendency to look ordinary in January, though that likely has to do with the strength of opposition more than anything. They play like 3 really good teams a year in the Pac-12.

1. I don't particularly enjoy Kyle's scheme either, but you can't deny it's effectiveness. I wish our offense looked more "traditional" and we didn't have to rely on the gimmicks to work, mostly b/c they look horrible and we look like asshats when they don't work. However, of offense is currently #2 in the NFL in terms of total yards, so we must be doing SOMETHING right (although, if the last 2 games are any indication, teams may be starting to figure out our O). Regardless, light years ahead of the offensive "offense" that we've put out there the last couple of years.

2. Again, it's not Chip's "scheme" that I'm enamored with. It's his philosophy of how he calls the game of football (higher percentage of going for it on 4th down, 2-point conversions, fake punts, etc.). The data, which you can't argue with, is in his favor and that won't be lost on his transition to the NFL as long as he stays true to following the data and "going for it" when other, more traditional coaches would not. I also think Chip would have no problem adjusting to the speed of the NFL. It's kind of what he's known for.

3. 3 BCS bowl games in 3 years as HC. Yeah, I'll take that.

Kirk, I find it funny that you are touting Kelly's game management and people are trying to shoot holes in his playbook. To me, that part is irrelevant to the argument. If his game plans work in the NFL, that's great. If they don't his philosophy would still be revolutionary. The last time we hired someone who was truly innovative he took us to 4 Super Bowls and won 3 of them.

Kirk, I find it funny that you are touting Kelly's game management and people are trying to shoot holes in his playbook. To me, that part is irrelevant to the argument. If his game plans work in the NFL, that's great. If they don't his philosophy would still be revolutionary. The last time we hired someone who was truly innovative he took us to 4 Super Bowls and won 3 of them.

Glad somebody gets it! Chip's offense revolves all around speed--speed of the players (Black Mamba!) and speed of the QB to keep the tempo going in order to wear down the other team and keep the momentum going (in addition to going for it on 4th down). I don't know how that "scheme" won't translate to the NFL, which is all about speed.

He also will not stand for players who will be a detriment to the team due to off-field behavior and has no qualms about removing them from the team, even if they were the projected starting QB (see Masoli, Jeremiah) or a leading defender (see Harris, Cliff).

Chip also is all about teamwork and team chemistry and a cohesive unit. Sure he could have kept Kenjon Barner in the entire game during those blowouts and sure it would have padded his stats in order to help him win the Heisman, but Chip eschews personal accolades in the name of team chemistry. No one is bigger than the team. Of course, his back-up and 3rd string RBs still routinely pick up 100+ yards rushing, but I digress.

Funny that Belichick, commonly despised outside of New England, but also touted as a coaching genius, has blatantly stolen a page from Chip's high-octane, high tempo offense and is having great success with it in the NFL this year. Seems like his "scheme" is already working in the NFL. Couple that with a unique coaching mind (nevermind offensive philosophy) to actually coach and manage the game and implement critical decisions throughout the game, and the NFL will have a coach that could help revolutionize the game. The Redskins could be so lucky.

Hail!

Even though it wouldn't happen, I'd want Urban Meyer. I think he could do amazing things with Robert Griffin III. Meyer just wins wherever he goes, the guy made Alex Smith look like Fran Tarkenton. Plus, he's a coach who understands both offense and defense. For many years he was a defensive coordinator as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived