Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IF Shanahan is let go, who do you want as the new head coach and GM next year?

NIKKI8

I think that Mike Shanahan should have as much time as is necessary to get this thing right. I think that RG3 deserves to have the same offense for multiple years rather than having something new every season. I think that we need a different defensive coordinator, I think that Kyle Shanahan needs to cut out his cutesy playcalls, and I think that we need massive upgrades in talent in a number of areas. We have 3 WRs on pace for 500-600 yards or so. We need Garcon badly but I don't really know if Morgan, Hankerson, Robinson, etc. can really develop into reliable playmakers.

We do have good and healthy players at:

QB

RB

FB

TE

LT, C

DE

OLB

MLB

K

We have well below average players at:

WR

RG

RT

CB

FS

SS

KR

We have mediocre, injury liability, or fast aging players at:

WR

TE

LG

NT

MLB

P

So yeah our WRs are meh, our TEs are ok but the Davis injury is sad, our O-Line isn't terrible on the left side and at C, but Lichtensteiger has had a major injury and Williams is always getting banged up. At DE we're actually fairly deep and not too terrible. As a NT, I'd say Barry Cofield has been alright, but he's better suited for DE in a 3-4 or DT in 4-3. We have Kerrigan, Orakpo is now an injury liability, Fletcher is rapidly aging, Riley is alright but not as good as hoped, Hall and Wilson are bleh, Madieu is awful, Meriweather isn't even made out of glass anymore he's made out of peanut brittle, and I can't be the only one who has noticed how Sav hasn't been up to form this season.

Those are what we need to address, not who replaces our head coach. He's not a bad coach and the unknown out there isn't exactly much better, and won't do much better when you give them crap to work with.

You know ES has lost its goddamn mind when you look at all the nominations in this thread. Andy Reid, Rob Ryan, Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher, Bill Parcells, Mike Holmgren...

What in the **** is wrong with you all? Most of these guys are unavailable or unwilling to come here, most of the rest are just plain bad choices, and the few that at least make for good "what-if" scenarios are complete gambles or would bring a radically different philosophy that would require us to rebuild all over again. Andy Reid is, at best, a less accomplished and less disciplinarian version of Mike Shanahan with substantially worse playcalling and game management instincts. He also does a worse job of protecting his QBs, even with a much lower volume of designed runs.

Chip Kelly is never going to leave Oregon if he doesn't get busted like Pete Carroll did.

Mike Shanahan said that this team was a total rebuild. However, by year three I expected to see progress and not regress. I think Shanahan remains the HC until his contract is over.

Whatever area we've focused on in an offseason we've made substantial progress on and we are miles better offensively than we have been in years (two games does not a trend make in my book... teams don't appear to have figured us out yet but we have had dips in execution recently, which most teams suffer through). The defense's sudden, dramatic regression after seemingly making a good deal of progress last year is puzzling but you have to give the man time to diagnose the problem.

This is BS.

We should be focusing on staying the course and improving next year. Not bringing in yet another coaching staff and GM.....[/QUO

This!! We all knew ( or should have) that this rebuild would take time. Main objective in the offseason should be a total overhaul of our horrible secondary. If we had a half way decent secondary now we would at worst be 5-4 Imo. I'm sick and tired of the losing as much as everyone, but this team is headed in the right direction. Blowing it all up would be pointless. Give shanny his 5 years and see where we are at. Hail.

This is BS.

We should be focusing on staying the course and improving next year. Not bringing in yet another coaching staff and GM.....

X2........ The over reacting to our coaching staff is getting ridiculous!! The coaches are taking this team in the right direction, but they can only work with what they have.

You know ES has lost its goddamn mind when you look at all the nominations in this thread. Andy Reid, Rob Ryan, Jon Gruden, Bill Cowher, Bill Parcells, Mike Holmgren...

What in the **** is wrong with you all? Most of these guys are unavailable or unwilling to come here, most of the rest are just plain bad choices, and the few that at least make for good "what-if" scenarios are complete gambles or would bring a radically different philosophy that would require us to rebuild all over again. Andy Reid is, at best, a less accomplished and less disciplinarian version of Mike Shanahan with substantially worse playcalling and game management instincts. He also does a worse job of protecting his QBs, even with a much lower volume of designed runs.

Chip Kelly is never going to leave Oregon if he doesn't get busted like Pete Carroll did.

Whatever area we've focused on in an offseason we've made substantial progress on and we are miles better offensively than we have been in years (two games does not a trend make in my book... teams don't appear to have figured us out yet but we have had dips in execution recently, which most teams suffer through). The defense's sudden, dramatic regression after seemingly making a good deal of progress last year is puzzling but you have to give the man time to diagnose the problem.

The problem is Shanahan needs to be a coach and give up his gm duties. People are seeing the Colts, Minnesota, and for that matter San Francisco, last year, and Seattle this year turn their teams into winning competitive games within less than three years. In todays NFL no one is going to wait five years for this team to be turned around. The fans deserve better than this period.

Anyone who is shocked that a rebuild is taking awhile must have had their blindfolds on during the snyderratto era. This team had too many problems to address and playing musical coaches with a revolving free agent rotation is partly to blame. I am willing to give shanahan the 5years he signed up for. I always expected it to be a painful process. Im not interested in changing at all and I hope Snyder doesnt get itchy trigger fingers.

Shanny's not going anywhere until 5 years are over.

He did tell Snyder not to hire him unless he would get the full five years. So I'm guessing he will get his entire contract. I would want Allen to hire a GM (or promote Brown to the position) and work with that GM to identify the next coaching staff when Shanahan is done here.

Anyone who is shocked that a rebuild is taking awhile must have had their blindfolds on during the snyderratto era. This team had too many problems to address and playing musical coaches with a revolving free agent rotation is partly to blame. I am willing to give shanahan the 5years he signed up for. I always expected it to be a painful process. Im not interested in changing at all and I hope Snyder doesnt get itchy trigger fingers.

I don't get this. Prior to Shanahan, we had two coaches in six years, and four of those years were under the leadership of Gibbs. When Gibbs left, we transitioned into Cerrato who had been here forever. We were a model of stability during those six years.

The problem is Shanahan needs to be a coach and give up his gm duties. People are seeing the Colts, Minnesota, and for that matter San Francisco, last year, and Seattle this year turn their teams into winning competitive games within less than three years. In todays NFL no one is going to wait five years for this team to be turned around. The fans deserve better than this period.

The 49ers are a case we could never hope to match. They had years of bad coaching and high draft picks that provided them with a very strong group of core players before Harbaugh even entered the picture. We had years of mediocrity and trading away picks prior to Shanahan.

Minnesota is not a very good team. They are in the midst of falling apart and will struggle to make 8-8 even after their 5-2 start. Their defense was overrated to start the season and Ponder isn't quite there yet as a QB (he turned the ball over twice in their first four games and 9 times in their last five).

I don't know how the Colts are 5-3. I've watched a few of their games and they were not very impressive team in any of them (least of all in the Packers game they had no business winning). They have a worse offensive line, worse running game, and their QB is responsible both for more turnovers and less TDs than ours. The only difference I can see is that their defense is merely bad, not historically bad and their schedule has been significantly easier. Both teams have played and beat the Vikings... we did it in more impressive fashion.

The fans may deserve better than this (based on what I've seen of this fanbase, I'm not entirely sure about that) but you have to be very careful about what you wish for. Things can actually get much worse than this and it can happen even quicker than the quick turnaround you're asking for.

What in the **** is wrong with you all?

Yeah ppl are tripping on here.

If Shanny is gone, I am def done with the former SB coach experiments for a long long time

Why in God's name would you want Andy Reid or Ryan?

Parcells?

smh

---------- Post added November-6th-2012 at 03:55 PM ----------

He did tell Snyder not to hire him unless he would get the full five years. So I'm guessing he will get his entire contract. I would want Allen to hire a GM (or promote Brown to the position) and work with that GM to identify the next coaching staff when Shanahan is done here.

Yeah but he is under a contract that I am sure is performance based.

I don't think you can take anyone involved in big business on their word

I'm off the opinion that the only kind of coach who has any chance of succeeding here is someone with the pedigree to tell Danny to back off. Shanahan had that. Gibbs had that. Marty had that.

Zorn did not. Spurrier did not (and probably didn't want to tell anyone to back off anyway). Norv did not.

The Hot Young Coordinator is not going to be able to do that. The only people that can do that are in the Sean Payton class.

That's a problem. But I have no idea how to solve it.

Can't you have that personality at the GM level though?

Yeah ppl are tripping on here.

If Shanny is gone, I am def done with the former SB coach experiments for a long long time

Why in God's name would you want Andy Reid or Ryan?

Parcells?

smh

I'm off the opinion that the only kind of coach who has any chance of succeeding here is someone with the pedigree to tell Danny to back off. Shanahan had that. Gibbs had that. Marty had that.

Zorn did not. Spurrier did not (and probably didn't want to tell anyone to back off anyway). Norv did not.

The Hot Young Coordinator is not going to be able to do that. The only people that can do that are in the Sean Payton class.

Idk...if you could find a young coordinator like one of the Harbaughs, I'm sure they would have no problem telling him to **** off

X2........ The over reacting to our coaching staff is getting ridiculous!! The coaches are taking this team in the right direction, but they can only work with what they have.

This is true, the coaching staff can only work with what they have. But the coaching staff also brought in who they are working with. I agree with the people that say "we are tired of the revolving door" but I don't think we should keep a guy around who has coached as poorly as Shanahan has just for the sake of continuity.

This is true, the coaching staff can only work with what they have. But the coaching staff also brought in who they are working with. I agree with the people that say "we are tired of the revolving door" but I don't think we should keep a guy around who has coached as poorly as Shanahan has just for the sake of continuity.

Coached as poorly as Shanahan? If you have any reason to think we need to move on it should be related to his role in handling the personnel of the team, not his ability as a coach. If you honestly think the offensive coaching is a problem, I would kindly urge you to go find a cliff and jump off it.

It doesn't have to be a coach though. Dan should be getting a general manager that will tell him to back off. Let the no BS general manager run the show and the rest will fall in line (hopefully). Bring in a guy like Ozzie Newsome or Jerry Reese and then you will see a change in the culture.

---------- Post added November-6th-2012 at 04:14 PM ----------

Coached as poorly as Shanahan? If you have any reason to think we need to move on it should be related to his role as it pertains to the personnel aspect of the team' date=' not his ability as a coach. If you honestly think the offensive coaching is a problem, I would kindly urge you to go find a cliff and jump off it.[/quote']

Yeah, because that solid play call we ended the game with was a great call. I like 75% of the offensive play calling but stuff like putting Banks in the backfield so he can run for -2 yards isn't creative its just poor coaching. Also letting Robert Griffin get crushed running a fly route didn't seem like the best idea. When the offense sticks to the basics its great, but when they start getting too creative it usually backfires. Maybe I will jump off the same cliff the franchise did.

It's not chaos' date=' and it should not have left a burning tire fire for Shanahan to deal with. When Shanahan got where, we were two years removed from a playoff berth.[/quote']

Do you remember what our offensive line looked like in 2009?

Do you remember the state of our roster depth under Gibbs?

Did Andre Carter, Phillip Daniels, Albert Haynesworth, and Cornelius Griffin have much of a future here? Did we have anyone behind them?

What could we have done to salvage the careers of Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly?

Do you think Carlos Rogers would have had the same success had he stayed in DC? Was Landry a long-term solution at safety?

Is there a free agent QB or 2010/2011 draft pick you would rather have than Griffin?

This team was a complete and total disaster when Shanahan got hired on. Gibbs did nothing to build for the future or even build depth for his team and Cerrato was completely incompetent. We're lucky we didn't wind up challenging the 2008 Lions as one of the worst teams of all time because we were certainly headed in that direction (might I add we barely beat them that year).

Do you remember what our offensive line looked like in 2009?

Do you remember the state of our roster depth under Gibbs?

Did Andre Carter, Phillip Daniels, Albert Haynesworth, and Cornelius Griffin have much of a future here? Did we have anyone behind them?

What could we have done to salvage the careers of Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly?

Do you think Carlos Rogers would have had the same success had he stayed in DC? Was Landry a long-term solution at safety?

Is there a free agent QB or 2010/2011 draft pick you would rather have than Griffin?

This team was a complete and total disaster when Shanahan got hired on. Gibbs did nothing to build for the future or even build depth for his team and Cerrato was completely incompetent. We're lucky we didn't wind up challenging the 2008 Lions as one of the worst teams of all time because we were certainly headed in that direction (might I add we barely beat them that year).

Okay. It was the worst roster in NFL history and it will take 15 years to rebuild.

Yeah, because that solid play call we ended the game with was a great call. I like 75% of the offensive play calling but stuff like putting Banks in the backfield so he can run for -2 yards isn't creative its just poor coaching. Also letting Robert Griffin get crushed running a fly route didn't seem like the best idea. When the offense sticks to the basics its great, but when they start getting too creative it usually backfires. Maybe I will jump off the same cliff the franchise did.

You must have some serious confirmation bias because those plays have been in the minority by far this season. Regarding the play to end the Panthers game, any play they would have run had an unbelievably low chance of success. Griffin couldn't have thrown it to the end zone from that far away, so any play we chose would have required excellent blocking and running after the catch or that ridiculous lateral bull**** that never works. They chose to try and create a return-type situation for Banks, which was not a bad idea if you trust Banks (I don't) and wasn't going to be much better or worse than any other option at our disposal at the time. The people I heard griping about the play are the worst kinds of football fans because choosing that play to ***** and moan about is entirely symptomatic of someone who doesn't know enough about the game to do anything more than misplace blame.

---------- Post added November-6th-2012 at 04:42 PM ----------

Okay. It was the worst roster in NFL history and it will take 15 years to rebuild.

Yes, that is exactly the point I was trying to make. :rolleyes:

Archived