Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IF Shanahan is let go, who do you want as the new head coach and GM next year?

NIKKI8

I'd hold fire on that view until after the next two games. And just how damaging or not an effect his disgrace after the Panthers game has been on the group.

Hail.

You know I hate to agree, I am in holding pattern now. I didn't like what I saw from the team and am interested to see the level of intensity this week win or lose. The team was at home and completely needing a win but came out flat and uninspired. This at the point of the season where a team should be gelling and making advances even after set backs, then came the proverbial slip of the tongue. Well I think the entire FO ought to be in analyzing mode including looking and especially looking at the Coach and Vice President.

..... Well I think the entire FO ought to be in analyzing mode including looking and especially looking at the Coach and Vice President.

I think if we come out as flat again the next two games, following on from him very publicly stating the Carolina game was a must win, and then failing to get much of any response from his players, and then compounding that with his disgraceful comments afterward; then it's a clear sign he's lost the locker room.

And if that's the case, his position becomes untenable and I'd be all for lil' Danny stepping in and taking action after Thanksgiving.

But let's not preempt anything and hope the adverse happens and we go out and whoop Philthy and the 'Girls.

Hail.

Maybe try hiring the right coach for a change. That might help. Anyone who thinks after 14-27 that Shanahan is the right guy, is just trying to convince themselves. Any player or coach will tell you by 3 years, there should be some improvements. Other than RG3, we have seen very little. Again 3-6 is 3-6 anyway you slice it. Only the Panthers have a worse record than we do in the NFC. Was that in the plan for this year? Both the Fins and Colts were supposed to be much worse that the Skins. Look at the way they're playing.

Saw this on twitter last night. A little perspective, perhaps.

Chris Russell ‏@Russellmania980

Didn't realize until I checked, but yes - Jimmy Johnson was (14-27) with the #Cowboys in Year 3, just like Mike Shanahan is. #Redskins

I know they went 11-5 their third year, but you have to realize that Johnson had Aikman and Irvin from the jump and got Emmitt his second season.

Just saying we should ride it out, make no rash moves at HC or OC. Just replace the DC.

I think if we come out as flat again the next two games, following on from him very publicly stating the Carolina game was a must win, and then failing to get much of any response from his players, and then compounding that with his disgraceful comments afterward; then it's a clear sign he's lost the locker room.

And if that's the case, his position becomes untenable and I'd be all for lil' Danny stepping in and taking action after Thanksgiving.

But let's not preempt anything and hope the adverse happens and we go out and whoop Philthy and the 'Girls.

Hail.

I actually think you have to wait until the season is done, and I don't think Shanahan needs to leave necessarily, however considering the record and the defense, major changes in his approach would be due.

Saw this on twitter last night. A little perspective, perhaps.

Chris Russell ‏@Russellmania980

Didn't realize until I checked, but yes - Jimmy Johnson was (14-27) with the #Cowboys in Year 3, just like Mike Shanahan is. #Redskins

I know they went 11-5 their third year, but you have to realize that Johnson had Aikman and Irvin from the jump and got Emmitt his second season.

Just saying we should ride it out, make no rash moves at HC or OC. Just replace the DC.

Probably and a good point, but what I think GHH and I are saying is not dissimilar. They need to show something starting today and the rest of the year. How bad is the rot? Has he lost it totally or are these adjustments enough after some introspection?

The BIG problem I have with that, is in the judgement of the man who'll be hand-picking the new DC.

NO question Haslett needs to go. Equally NO question the HC shouldn't be ANYWHERE near coaching hires on defense.

Hail.

Yeah just admit it Mike, you don't know defense and move forward, the track record speaks for itself and this is not the AFC West either. Defense here matters to the bottom line.

I actually think you have to wait until the season is done, and I don't think Shanahan needs to leave necessarily, however considering the record and the defense, major changes in his approach would be due......

If, and it's still an 'if' as we stand, he has indeed lost the locker room, I don't see how his position is tenable in any way, shape or form.

These next two games will be REAL telling on just whether Carolina was the beginning of the end as I fear or not.

Hail

If, and it's still an 'if' as we stand, he has indeed lost the locker room, I don't see how his position is tenable in any way, shape or form.

These next two games will be REAL telling on just whether Carolina was the beginning of the end as I fear or not.

Hail

Totally agree. The games right in front of us will be telling indeed.

The BIG problem I have with that, is in the judgement of the man who'll be hand-picking the new DC.

NO question Haslett needs to go. Equally NO question the HC shouldn't be ANYWHERE near coaching hires on defense.

Hail.

This is exactly it. For sake of continuity I don't mind keeping Shanahan on board. I think Shanahan the coach still has a lot left in the tank. In fact, if Kyle does not re-sign here, I wouldn't mind a situation where Shanahan is relieved of his GM duties but stays on as HC/OC. The problem is I don't think Shanahan will give up his GM role, meaning he may pick the right DC but not necessarily give him total freedom to pick his own staff, so you end up with the in-fighting that is reportedly going on now.

But then again, if someone told me a year again that Shanahan would be running the triple option, I would never have believed it.

don't matter ... until the culture and identity of this organization changes, and in the end I think that is the owner's responsibility.

Bingo....fans Gibbs and Shanahan cant turn it around or Shotty Spurrier etc etc.....at some point you have to look at the leadership at the top

Gruden as someone else recently mentioned. Would LOVE to have him here and he's still a youngin' relatively speaking. I love his intensity and desire because it's something the players respond to and I just don't know how he doesn't have the drive to come back again. I'm surprised he's been away as long as he has. Does anyone know if he actually wishes to coach again?

Gruden as someone else recently mentioned. Would LOVE to have him here and he's still a youngin' relatively speaking. I love his intensity and desire because it's something the players respond to and I just don't know how he doesn't have the drive to come back again. I'm surprised he's been away as long as he has. Does anyone know if he actually wishes to coach again?

EXACTLY! I want a coach who gets his players pumped up and gets passionate on the sidelines! Gruden just knows so much about the game and has the passion and intensity!

EXACTLY! I want a coach who gets his players pumped up and gets passionate on the sidelines! Gruden just knows so much about the game and has the passion and intensity!

LOL, bill belichick is one of the most non emotional guys in coaching in the NFL. He's also the most successful in the past 12 years.

LOL, bill belichick is one of the most non emotional guys in coaching in the NFL. He's also the most successful in the past 12 years.

Not sure showing emotion or not showing it is a barometer for success either way, in coaching or in anything. Gruden and Belichick both clearly have talent.

Oh don't get me wrong I agree not every coach needs to have that criteria. It's a personal preference. I just love to see a coach get fired up....unless his last name is Ryan haha.

Oh don't get me wrong I agree not every coach needs to have that criteria. It's a personal preference. I just love to see a coach get fired up....unless his last name is Ryan haha.

I would like in a coach too, you kind of rise and fall with them though. The Harbaughs are both young guys who do this. And they're pretty successful. I think we're a headcase to deal with as an organization and a city at this point in time, and I really do think Shanahan is the perfect guy to be running the show at the moment. I'm giving him 1 more year until I'm not satisfied anymore.

It's crazy how people in the off-season claimed "I know this year is a waiting year, it's a reconstructing year" yet the majority of those people are the one's that haven't kept their emotions or expectations in check during the season. I feel down just like anyone else after a loss, and it's terrible - but how can you be upset with so much young talent on the field for the first time in a LONG time.

Archived