Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IF Shanahan is let go, who do you want as the new head coach and GM next year?

NIKKI8

I echo the person who said we should NOT hire someone who already has a ring and should ideally hire someone who is around or under 50 years old.

I think the HC should definitely be a coordinator in the NFL currently, or someone who is an assistant HC.

I personally am a big fan of Winston Moss from Green Bay. Young, fiery, and would most likely be willing to let a GM handle the personnel stuff. We'd definitely need to bring in an OC with a lot of experience in order to maximize the talent we have at QB.

As for GM, I definitely am all for bringing in DeCosta. The Ravens have, IMO, been the best team in the NFL at identifying impact personnel through the draft and FA and DeCosta has been a big part of it.

Of course, none of this will happen. This is pretty much the exact plan that successful teams run, so why would the Redskins want to follow suit? :facepalm:

Is Rob Ryan a crazy pick?

My rank is 4.Kyle, 3.Grimm, 2.Gruden, 1.Rob Ryan

I just think as long as they continue to have a GM and NOT Daniel Snyder making day-to-day FO decisions, all we need is a "young" exceptional, passionate coordinator for HC. But definitely a current coordinator, not a QB coach or Starbucks barista.

Rob Ryan is instant defense, with a competent OC that doesn't **** up the golden goose I don't see a down side.

I have no idea who should be GM but as long as they're competent, who cares?

Is anyone really upset with Bruce Allen? He's done everything he's responsible for which was manage the cap. Its not like he's picking these players

Yeah thats, for the most part, what Allen does. Shanahan wanted GM powers and final say on player personnell. Bruce is more of a contract negotiator.

Its unlikely Mikeys going anywhere next season. Who else is going to want to come here? Whoever it is would walk into a team with a reduced salary cap; no first round draft picks for the next two years; and having to instill a new offense, defense and players.

I could be wrong and Shanny gets fired but then we would be worse off. If we have a coach in his first year we'll definetely have a subpar year and one the following season. If were going to have two bad seasons we might as well give MS at least one more now that he has a quality quarterback.

I hope so, but that really is the kind of logic we'd hear from Snyder. That Zorn filled that quota so we're not going that route again. Zorn was not upa nd coming and even if he was, that's no reason to think he's exactly the same as all up and coming assistants.

This is what would scare me about Shanahan leaving. I could see Snyder saying that he's tried everything else, so he might as well go back to playing fantasy football himself with the team like he use to.

Snyder was a joke at the owner's meetings and I really think Snyder realize that he is not a gm and wants the fans to continue paying their hard earned money to watch quality football that Snyder and Vinny was not providing. Snyder is not a dummy and realized he was losing his fan base. At the end of the day I want a competent GM first before the team hires another coach.

---------- Post added November-6th-2012 at 03:51 AM ----------

Yeah thats, for the most part, what Allen does. Shanahan wanted GM powers and final say on player personnell. Bruce is more of a contract negotiator.

Its unlikely Mikeys going anywhere next season. Who else is going to want to come here? Whoever it is would walk into a team with a reduced salary cap; no first round draft picks for the next two years; and having to instill a new offense, defense and players.

I could be wrong and Shanny gets fired but then we would be worse off. If we have a coach in his first year we'll definetely have a subpar year and one the following season. If were going to have two bad seasons we might as well give MS at least one more now that he has a quality quarterback.

Why do people think not having a first round draft pick for two years is the end of the world?????? The Giants All Pro front four were all drafted in the later rounds except for one JPP. The Green Bay Packers starting secondary is made up of rookies right now and mind you the Packers are not giving up the most yards in the passing game right now, and the list goes on and on of teams with either quality players or all pro players on defense and offense that was not selected in the first round. It helps in the odds of picking a stud player but the Skins have 2 thru 7 with additional picks in other rounds in 2013. The team has a franchise qb that is worth more than those two first round picks finally but this team can be built in the right direction IFFFFF the right person is running the ship.

I don't know if it is just me or not but when I watch other NFL games it seems like the teams are playing there hearts out and giving it everything they have and I just don't see the same thing from the Redskins when they play except for a few players. Alfred Morris runs on every play like he is fighting for his job. If the team had 53 Alfred Morris's I think they would be 7-1. It seemed like yesterday that RGIII didn't even have the same kind of magic like he has in every other game this year. You could tell early on that the Panthers wanted this game more than the Redskins.

Is Rob Ryan a crazy pick?

My rank is 4.Kyle, 3.Grimm, 2.Gruden, 1.Rob Ryan

I just think as long as they continue to have a GM and NOT Daniel Snyder making day-to-day FO decisions, all we need is a "young" exceptional, passionate coordinator for HC. But definitely a current coordinator, not a QB coach or Starbucks barista.

Rob Ryan is instant defense, with a competent OC that doesn't **** up the golden goose I don't see a down side.

I have no idea who should be GM but as long as they're competent, who cares?

I have no problem with Rob Ryan but I also like Pete Carmichael Jr I think RG III would be a perfect fit for his offense plus I think he would be a great head coach I actually think he may go to the Eagles if Andy Reed is fired. I partly agree with Steven A. Smith that Shanny is a bit outdated in his schemes

Any young assistant looking to make his own mark as a Head Coach. Please no re-treads, this organization deserves better. Getting Payton, Cowher, Gruden, or anyone of that caliber would do nothing but repeat history.

:helmet:

But what if the assistant is just that, an assistant? I say "HELL NAH" to Cowher and Gruden. They have been away too long in my book. But Reid and Payton can coach. Payton is probably the best offensive minds in the game and Reid's time in Philly is up. Dude just needs a change of scenery.

I personally hope Shanahan stays for at least 1 more year or preferrably his whole 5, but if he goes it has to be someone who runs a similar scheme. If we do what we normally do and bring in a guy who runs a completely different scheme, we will have to go through another complete rebuild. This Oline will have to be completely replaced save Trent. Alf runs best in this scheme. In any other scheme he is average at best. We will get worse immediately and have to build around RGIII from the beginning again. I dont remember who said we should switch to 4-3 instantly giving us best LB corps in division, but that is retarded. I fully believe Haslett needs to go, and wouldnt be against Shanny getting personnel help, but I want to see if he can get this done. Our QB is a rookie. Dont immediately make him change schemes in his second year...thats just stupid. I think the Shannys are handling him well, though I want to see a concerted effort to go more towards the stretch/boot game and away from the option. If the rest of the year looks awful and the players look like they dont care...maybe then we fire him. If they play hard, but just arent good enough(as I suspect with the injuries and cap hit) lets just keep building.

I think much of this Shanahan talk is overblown based on a bad performance and taking comments too literally.

I'm in the group (however small) that thinks we need to keep some consistency when possible. Getting rid of Shanahan could set us back another 3-4 years. Our O-Line is now built for this style of offense. Our team is playing better overall than they were in the past, even if this week it looked dismal. There aren't many teams (no matter how well coached) that look 100% every week.

I haven't been happy with the defensive schemes, but how much of that should be put on the D Coord. vs the just blatant lack of talent, I'm not sure. There is only so much you can do without any sort of talent on defense.

However, to play along with the thread, if we did go firesale on our Coaching Staff, its tough to say what would work. If there was a proven way to have it work, it would've already been put in place. I agree with the OP, that Shaw from Stanford looks like a very good coach when you see how he progresses players. Finding an assistant in the NFL now to take control isn't a bad option and can work, but it can also fail like any other choice. Joe Philbin looks like a great choice so far this year, even after the crap everyone talked about him before and during Hard Knocks, but for every Philbin there are quite a few failures.

A few "up-and-comers" in the NFL/NCAA ranks I'd be interested in entertaining:

Bill O'Brien (not likely based on one year at PSU, but its pretty impressive what he's done)

Russ Grimm (despite the crapfest that is the Cardinals O Line)

Tom Clements (GB O Coord. who seems to do quite well with QB Development)

I think much of this Shanahan talk is overblown based on a bad performance and taking comments too literally.

I'm in the group (however small) that thinks we need to keep some consistency when possible. Getting rid of Shanahan could set us back another 3-4 years. Our O-Line is now built for this style of offense. Our team is playing better overall than they were in the past, even if this week it looked dismal. There aren't many teams (no matter how well coached) that look 100% every week.

I haven't been happy with the defensive schemes, but how much of that should be put on the D Coord. vs the just blatant lack of talent, I'm not sure. There is only so much you can do without any sort of talent on defense.

This was a well thought out post. ...My sentiments exactly.

I'd also add, I don't think the team is going to fall for how the media spins Shanhan's clarification, and 'quit' on Shanahan. Frankly, the entire Skins organization need to man up and see what part they can do to bring a winning tradition back to this team. And any players who quit during this tough stretch, using Shanahan's out-of context remarks as an excuse -- frankly, those are players who would always looking for a way out during crunch-time. Character is one of the areas being evaluated during this next seven game stretch.

I also think Shanahan/Allen/Snyder do have to take a h-a-r-d look at their staff, conditioning coaches, equipment managers, medical team, and 'evaluate' there.' Haslett may have hit his cieling, Slowik has not been that great at any position, and so far -- this was one of the worse seasons for Danny Smith's teams. I also think they have to spend the time evaluating how to leverage Griffin's strengh in the vertical game, even though the current remaining WR corps may not be best suited to excel under those patterns.

I think we stay the course for the full five years, and if Shanahan has to go then -- we find a successor who can build off of the system he's put in place. There are lot of teams out there (Houston comes to mind first) with coaches experienced with the play-schemes and philosophies that Shanahan has put in place..

But what if the assistant is just that, an assistant? I say "HELL NAH" to Cowher and Gruden. They have been away too long in my book. But Reid and Payton can coach. Payton is probably the best offensive minds in the game and Reid's time in Philly is up. Dude just needs a change of scenery.

Payton will re-sign with the Saints. If the Saints are unlucky enough to lose Payton, then Cowpukes have the best chance to get him in our division. Reid needs time away from the game for at least a year. Reid is burned out dealing with Philly, Vick, and their fans. He needs time to get away. Re-treads have not worked out well for this organization.

:helmet:

Archived