Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

IF Shanahan is let go, who do you want as the new head coach and GM next year?

NIKKI8

Thomas Dimitroff as GM, Bill Polian as special assistant/consultant and a young head coach who can be flexible, not the my way or the highway type of attitude that Shanny has now. I would take the money I save on hiring a top notch head coach and use it to build the best scouting department money can buy.

People slag Polian because of last year in Indy, but that was his son taking over, Bill has still got it and is the only NFL front office man who has built a contender everywhere he has been and Dimitroff has not had any bad moves since becoming the GM of Atlanta.

Do you know what thread?

I did a search for Guden Allen and came up with nothing from last week.

Twitter. Wasn't on ES (well maybe, but I spend less time here as I don't have to read everyones thoughts and focus on the ones I like).

You should join. Some great convos with many ES posters.

Mike Shanahan is the only one I want coaching next season, and Bruce Allen should be the GM. Period.

For the sake of the thread, IF it were to happen, and Mike to get fired, then Bruce should still stay, he's done a great job, plus his ties to our history. And the ONLY name we could bring in that wouldn't infuriate me for not giving Shanny one more year would be Sean Payton.

So what is the deal with the GM situation right now? Is Bruce Allen just there to negotiate salaries and get us under the cap and Shannahan has full control of which players are selected/acquired?

Yes!

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 02:52 PM ----------

GM: Morroco Brown (in house hire)

HC: Russ Grimm (OC for AZ)

Grimm has never been a coordinator.

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 02:52 PM ----------

Part of me wonders if Bruce has the ability to even fire Mike.

He doesn't. Shanahan is his boss.

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 02:57 PM ----------

Make Allen the President. Let him decide. He can even keep Shanahan if wants.

If you did that, Shanahan would quit.

Hiring the hot young coordinator is always fun. I just don't trust that person to come here and being able to resist Danny's influence. The only coaches that Danny seems to respect are ones who have a resume. He stayed out of Marty's way (until he fired him). He stayed out of Gibbs' way. He is staying out of Shanahan's way.

Do you think he would stay out of Joe Philbin's way?

Pittsburgh can bring in a guy like Mike Tomlin because Dan Rooney is not going to be having lunch with him once a week, telling him to try a halfback pass or something. I'm not sure we can do that.

Up until yesterday, I'd of been 100% shouting that with to anyone that would listen.

Now he's, to all intents and purposes's lost the players, I honestly think it's the beginning of the end of his tenure.

Hail.

You don't think he finishes his five? He has been adamant that it is not a "quick fix", but I have never seen the amount of heat pointed in his direction by fans, media and ex players alike. Tough times brotha!

Hail

You don't think he finishes his five? He has been adamant that it is not a "quick fix."

I think he's been using that as a deflection.

If you take away RGIII (who we paid an incredibly heavy price for), this is worse football team than the one he coached in 2010. Defensively, we are in a death spiral. We have no downfield passing game. And our specail teams stink.

We seem to absorbed Shanahan's running game and have a back to make it work. And he was an incredibly gifted rookie QB. That's what we got.

You don't think he finishes his five? He has been adamant that it is not a "quick fix", but I have never seen the amount of heat pointed in his direction by fans, media and ex players alike. Tough times brotha!

Hail

I did. And I fully believe Snyder's bought into giving him the full 5 years regardless.

But it's gona' take a heck of a turnaround to win back the locker room. And if he can't, I don't see how his position is tenable. Even before the scandalous message he sent out so very publicly in the presser after the game; those 3 hours or so told you all you need to know about the disconnect between players and HC/ coaches. He was killed telling anyone that would listen how much of a 'must win' game yesterday was all of the week leading upto it. And look what transpired. One of the lamest 'performances' we've seen in ages around here. (And that's saying something given the utter dross we've sat through the past two decades.). If he couldn't inspire anything from the group after being so vociferous on how crucial the game was, just what hope is their in that relationship?

The press conference disgrace just compounded that.

I hope I'm wrong in a lot of ways, but I honestly see this as the beginning of the end of the Shanahan era.

Hail.

Up until yesterday, I'd of been 100% shouting that with to anyone that would listen.

Now he's, to all intents and purposes's lost the players, I honestly think it's the beginning of the end of his tenure.

Hail.

Even more reason I think we should can Haslett in these two weeks. Up until 2 weeks ago, we had one of the most prolific offenses in the league. I think the offense is just in something of a 'slump'... but again we're still without #1 WR and #1 TE.

The defense has been lost all year if not longer, and the players have no confidence or faith in the DC. The Cruz bomb was the last straw. I think moving Has out and starting new this year gets us a good start on next season and gets some good will back amongst the defense.

Even more reason I think we should can Haslett in these two weeks. Up until 2 weeks ago, we had one of the most prolific offenses in the league. I think the offense is just in something of a 'slump'... but again we're still without #1 WR and #1 TE.

The defense has been lost all year if not longer, and the players have no confidence or faith in the DC. The Cruz bomb was the last straw. I think moving Has out and starting new this year gets us a good start on next season and gets some good will back amongst the defense.

I'm totally conflicted on this one Ryp.

On the hand, I agree wholeheartedly. Even Stevie Wonder could clearly see Haslett has to go. There's no debate there.

But on the other, do we trust Mike to upgrade the position? After all, he''s the one who handpicked Haslett to start with. And he's the one who's compounded that in the face of all rational and logic by sticking by him for 2 and half years to date. And he'll be the one with the final say on who comes in to replace Jim if a change is indeed made.

Honestly, do we truly trust Mike to make the best possible move in that instance?

Hail.

Sean Payton

No other team besides NO is getting Sean Payton. His year isn't up until April 2013. Way too late for any team besides NO to consider him.

That being said, I like Shanahan. He is doing a very good job with RG3 and if you look around the league, all franchise QB's have longevity with their coach. That being said, I do feel we need a new DC now.

For all of the Sean Payton guys on this thread...

Why would you guys want to hire him if no coach has EVER won a Super Bowl with two different teams?

---------- Post added November-5th-2012 at 02:34 PM ----------

No other team besides NO is getting Sean Payton. His year isn't up until April 2013. Way too late for any team besides NO to consider him.

That being said, I like Shanahan. He is doing a very good job with RG3 and if you look around the league, all franchise QB's have longevity with their coach. That being said, I do feel we need a new DC now.

I think Payton has a rare opportunity to make a **** ton of money right now. You see what he means to NO? He's arguably the best play caller in the game (coin toss betweeen he and McCarthy) and Jones has a lot of money and wants a winner.

The team has tried every approach: top college coach, legendary coach, regular season champion, up-and-coming assistant, Super Bowl winner...Who knows where to go if Mike doesn't work out?

I'm starting to wish they nabbed Pete Carroll years ago, which is sad.

Edit: up-and-coming assistant was kind of tongue-in-cheek

I hope so, but that really is the kind of logic we'd hear from Snyder. That Zorn filled that quota so we're not going that route again. Zorn was not upa nd coming and even if he was, that's no reason to think he's exactly the same as all up and coming assistants.

This is what would scare me about Shanahan leaving. I could see Snyder saying that he's tried everything else, so he might as well go back to playing fantasy football himself with the team like he use to.

So, this may be a crazy suggestion, but what's wrong with giving Kyle a shot? He obviously has the skills to call a pretty good offensive game. Let's face it, we've lost the past 2 games because of defense and because we can't catch, not because of bad offensive play calling. RG3 has been on target and has gotten the ball to the receievers, they just aren't making plays.

Either way, I'd be more inclined to fire Haslett as well as revamp all of special teams (besides for Forbath, I'm loving that kid).

So...you want to fire Mike Shanahan and hire his son......

Is this for a football team or a reality show?

So, this may be a crazy suggestion, but what's wrong with giving Kyle a shot? He obviously has the skills to call a pretty good offensive game. Let's face it, we've lost the past 2 games because of defense and because we can't catch, not because of bad offensive play calling. RG3 has been on target and has gotten the ball to the receievers, they just aren't making plays.

Either way, I'd be more inclined to fire Haslett as well as revamp all of special teams (besides for Forbath, I'm loving that kid).

Snyder should fire Kyle which would get Mike to quit, thus opting out of his contract.

Allen can then hire Chucky Gruden or Chip Kelly from Oregon to coach up RG lll.

Shanahan is not the guy for RG lll to grow up with in the NFL. Someone younger with creativity and fire is needed.

People want Shanny to fire Haslett when he won't even dump Danny Smith?

Archived