Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Previews of Coming Attractions: Upcoming New Movies (Thoughts and Info on Movies That Don't Have Their Own Thread Yet).

Jumbo

Chris Pratt lands lead role in Marvel's 'Guardians of the Galaxy'

http://social.entertainment.msn.com/movies/blogs/paralleluniverse-blog.aspx?feat=9f0a8997-44d2-4a85-a515-55429158f280

The "Parks and Recreation" star, who can currently be seen on the big screen as a Navy SEAL in "Zero Dark Thirty," will play Peter Quill, the child of an alien father and human mother who joins NASA and eventually makes it into space. There he encounters an alien presence known as the Master of the Sun who names him Star-Lord, leader of the cosmic police force known as the Guardians of the Galaxy.

And here's the Big News:

In the comics, the Guardians and the Avengers teamed up to battle Thanos, the galactic super-villain glimpsed at the end of last year's "The Avengers." With the Guardians also rumored to be making a cameo at the end of "Iron Man 3," the stage is being set for both 2014's "Guardians" and 2015's "The Avengers 2."

more (and pics) at link

Edited by Jumbo

• 3 weeks later...

New Iron Man 3 trailer:

I appreciate what Jon Favreau did for the "Iron Man" franchise in getting it started, but I'm glad it's in the hands of a director like Shane Black now. Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark was getting old (although the general mediocrity of Iron Man 2 didn't help progress the character any), and this film looks like it'll do a good job of getting the franchise in an interesting new direction.

Also, by all early accounts, Ben Kingsley absolutely kills it as The Mandarin.

Rumor: Christopher Nolan In Talks To Oversee 'Justice League,' Christian Bale To Return As Batman

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/rumor-christopher-nolan-in-talks-to-oversee-justice-league-christian-bale-to-return-as-batman-20130304

---------- Post added March-5th-2013 at 04:14 PM ----------

Man of Steel screening info:

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/scoop-early-screenings-of-man-of-steel-reveal-more-about-the-tone-action-and-superman-kicking-all-kinds-of-ass

Imagine a Nolan story with Snyder effects/action

It’s the best movie of the year.

There’s TONS of action with Superman kicking all kinds of ass in his suit.

The cape is CG’d most of the time so it can look awesome.

They have intentionally left out most of the the Super action in trailers to save it.

It’s not nearly as dour and serious as the trailers suggest.

The movie is complete, minus the 3D post-conversion, which is currently taking place

Edited by GibbsFactor

I always felt that the movie version of Iron Man (and not ironically, the actor too - Robert Downey Jr) were at their best when they had a straight man to play off of.

That's why the Avengers was so good.

Agreed.

The first Iron Man movie was a lot of fun, it was done well, and since it was a new character for the big screen, it was a refreshing experience. The second Iron Man was just a rehash of the first one, with a couple of bland new characters added in, but that movie was sort of sacrificed by Marvel to get the ball rolling on The Avengers.

Robert Downey Jr had sort of sleep walked through Iron Man 2, but since Joss Whedon came up with such a good script for The Avengers, and Tony Stark was actually fleshed out a little more as an actual character, forced to work with guys who were his legitimate equals, Downey Jr put on a pretty good performance.

If he's not challenged, it's easy for Downey Jr to basically play himself and spit out some snarky lines, but that's why I have hope for Iron Man 3, with Don Cheadle's role as Rhodes expanding, Ben Kingsley supposedly putting on a show as a cerebral villain (not just another machine for Iron Man to simply fight off like in the first two movies), and Shane Black taking over the screenplay and direction.

Rumor: Christopher Nolan In Talks To Oversee 'Justice League,' Christian Bale To Return As Batman

http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplaylist/rumor-christopher-nolan-in-talks-to-oversee-justice-league-christian-bale-to-return-as-batman-20130304

---------- Post added March-5th-2013 at 04:14 PM ----------

Man of Steel screening info:

http://www.joblo.com/movie-news/scoop-early-screenings-of-man-of-steel-reveal-more-about-the-tone-action-and-superman-kicking-all-kinds-of-ass

Imagine a Nolan story with Snyder effects/action

It’s the best movie of the year.

There’s TONS of action with Superman kicking all kinds of ass in his suit.

The cape is CG’d most of the time so it can look awesome.

They have intentionally left out most of the the Super action in trailers to save it.

It’s not nearly as dour and serious as the trailers suggest.

The movie is complete, minus the 3D post-conversion, which is currently taking place

I'll believe that Nolan and Bale are returning for any sort of Justice League movie when they're actually on set and shooting scenes. It would be nice, but I just don't see either of them making the commitment to a project of that scale, especially one that's been in as much turmoil as the Justice League.

Warner Bros is so obsessed with making this Justice League movie work, and I really don't understand it.

Marvel built up to The Avengers movie in response to what Nolan was doing for the Batman franchise. It took massive planning on Marvel's part to combat the success of The Dark Knight and The Dark Knight Rises.

Marvel has now established several tent poles between Iron Man, Captain America, and Thor, with another Avengers movie in sight. WB seems to have done everything right so far with this new Superman movie, but they botched the Green Lantern movie, they can't decide if Wonder Woman should be a TV show or a movie, and they haven't even tried to do anything with The Flash. For an epic crossover movie, Marvel is sprinting into its second lap and WB hasn't even gotten off the blocks yet.

If WB wants to make this superhero crossover film thing work so badly, I would suggest that they pump the brakes on the Justice League idea and instead just hope that this Superman film is a success, and then shoot for a "World's Finest" movie with Superman and Batman, and try to bring Nolan and Bale back on board for that.

Nolan's already got his hands all over the new Superman movie, so asking him to direct a Batman/Superman movie shouldn't be a huge request, and if Nolan signed on, Bale would have to seriously consider it.

The Avengers 2 could be about as big of a movie as anybody could ask for, but it still wouldn't outdraw a very carefully and well done film featuring the two biggest superhero properties around.

Speaking of Harrison Ford, I'm sure you guys have already heard about the Jackie Robinson biopic "42" coming out in April. Anyone gonna go see it?

Ford, by the way, is gonna play Dodger GM Branch Rickey.

Speaking of Harrison Ford, I'm sure you guys have already heard about the Jackie Robinson biopic "42" coming out in April. Anyone gonna go see it?

Ford, by the way, is gonna play Dodger GM Branch Rickey.

I will.

Agreed.

The first Iron Man movie was a lot of fun, it was done well, and since it was a new character for the big screen, it was a refreshing experience. The second Iron Man was just a rehash of the first one, with a couple of bland new characters added in, but that movie was sort of sacrificed by Marvel to get the ball rolling on The Avengers.

Robert Downey Jr had sort of sleep walked through Iron Man 2, but since Joss Whedon came up with such a good script for The Avengers, and Tony Stark was actually fleshed out a little more as an actual character, forced to work with guys who were his legitimate equals, Downey Jr put on a pretty good performance.

If he's not challenged, it's easy for Downey Jr to basically play himself and spit out some snarky lines, but that's why I have hope for Iron Man 3, with Don Cheadle's role as Rhodes expanding, Ben Kingsley supposedly putting on a show as a cerebral villain (not just another machine for Iron Man to simply fight off like in the first two movies), and Shane Black taking over the screenplay and direction.

I agree with what you said about Iron Man and Downey Jr. I was initially excited for IM3 but after seeing the last trailer I am kind of down about it. It seems like a lot more of the same and the spot at the end with more "bot" suits just seems played out at this point. I am looking forward to Kingsley though.

If WB wants to make this superhero crossover film thing work so badly, I would suggest that they pump the brakes on the Justice League idea and instead just hope that this Superman film is a success, and then shoot for a "World's Finest" movie with Superman and Batman, and try to bring Nolan and Bale back on board for that.

Nolan's already got his hands all over the new Superman movie, so asking him to direct a Batman/Superman movie shouldn't be a huge request, and if Nolan signed on, Bale would have to seriously consider it.

The Avengers 2 could be about as big of a movie as anybody could ask for, but it still wouldn't outdraw a very carefully and well done film featuring the two biggest superhero properties around.

I have always thought this is the way to go. When those two eventually share a movie, nobody else really matters. That should be their goal, creating a good Superman/Batman crossover because that alone would rival the Avengers. I also hope Bale doesn't return and it isn't set in the same universe as TDK trilogy. It just wouldn't fit.

I can't wait for Man of Steel though because I hope we finally have a good Superman movie on our hands.

---------- Post added March-7th-2013 at 10:37 PM ----------

Hot off the press, just published today... The Hangover Part III

I can't believe they are making a third one. Geez at least it looks like it might actually have a new script this time around.

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
If you guys get a chance to see Silver Linings Playbook, I recommend it.

Saw it last month, really enjoyed it. I think it came out last week.

I feel Jennifer Lawrence will get an oscar nomination, at least.

This thing was by far the best movie I've seen within the past 5 years.

Amazing

She is all over the preview for Part III and appears to now have her own suit.

I am not pleased with this turn of events.

O rly.

She's pretty much a non-factor for me. I think she's attractive but wouldn't miss her if she was replaced by someone else. On the flip side, her presence doesn't bother me a whole lot, either.

What do you find irritating about her?

Will Smith's newest movie (and yet another vehicle for building his son's career) is getting negative chatter...while the guy many of us like to hate but keeps making entertaining movies---Tom Cruise---looks like he has impressed early viewers with his newest sci-fi effort.