Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Previews of Coming Attractions: Upcoming New Movies (Thoughts and Info on Movies That Don't Have Their Own Thread Yet).

Jumbo

Possibly the next "Wreck It Ralph" in terms of heavy nostalgia mixed with clever animated comedy...pretty awesome cast and solid production background too (from the guys responsible for "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs" and the "21 Jump Street" movie):

• 3 weeks later...

Oooo weeee...that is a very slick poster.

I'll admit, when Joe Johnston signed on as the director for the first Captain America film, I became really skeptical.  But that turned out to be a very fun, pretty compelling action movie.

So I was a bit disappointed to hear that he wasn't coming back for the sequel, and I'm a little wary of this movie being more of a spy/thriller type of film, rather than another straight-ahead action/adventure movie.

The director is also an odd choice - Anthony Russo, who's credits are largely producing and directing various primetime sitcoms over the last few years.  But we'll see I suppose.

The Wolf of Wall Street looks sick.

Indeed.

I liked someone's comment right after that trailer first premiered - what the hell kind of music were we using as the soundtracks for films about people being disgustingly rich before Jay-Z and Kanye West came along?

• Like 1

I'm on the fence about Pacific Rim this weekend. I mean, it looks like everything I want in a movie..but I wonder if some of the so/so early reviews are tempering my excitement.

Anyone else going to see it?

It's currently tracking 76% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is pretty solid, especially for a summer blockbuster type of film.

I'll go check it out - I always enjoy Guillermo del Toro's work, and this is his first big budget major movie, so it's kind of a "make or break" situation for him.  

It's also the first chance for my boy Charlie Hunnam from Sons of Anarchy to step up into Hollywood "leading-man" territory, so I feel compelled to support him as well.

And come on - it's giant mechs battling even larger monsters, with Charlie Day, Idris Elba, and Ron Perlman also in the cast.  If I was just shooting off my own ideas for fun sounding movies that I'd personally like to see, this is pretty much the recipe I think I'd come up with.

Speaking of ridiculous recipes for movies that immediately go on my "Must Watch" list, the first trailer for "The Counselor" came out a couple of weeks ago, and it looks pretty, pretty, pretty good.

- Screenplay by Cormac McCarthy.

- Directed by Ridley Scott.

- And starring Brad Pitt, Michael Fassbender (who's always awesome), Javier Bardem (who is also always awesome), Penelope Cruz, and Cameron Diaz (who I don't think has looked this hot since maybe the 90's, like in The Mask or something).

If that doesn't end up being one of the best movies of the year, it'll be a crime.

I'm on the fence about Pacific Rim this weekend. I mean, it looks like everything I want in a movie..but I wonder if some of the so/so early reviews are tempering my excitement.

Anyone else going to see it?

It's currently tracking 76% on Rotten Tomatoes, which is pretty solid, especially for a summer blockbuster type of film.

I'll go check it out - I always enjoy Guillermo del Toro's work, and this is his first big budget major movie, so it's kind of a "make or break" situation for him.  

It's also the first chance for my boy Charlie Hunnam from Sons of Anarchy to step up into Hollywood "leading-man" territory, so I feel compelled to support him as well.

And come on - it's giant mechs battling even larger monsters, with Charlie Day, Idris Elba, and Ron Perlman also in the cast.  If I was just shooting off my own ideas for fun sounding movies that I'd personally like to see, this is pretty much the recipe I think I'd come up with.

I wonder if Hunnam will speak in his original accent, and if he does, how many people will think he's poorly faking an English accent?

:P

He's from Newcastle and his actual accent is pretty thick. 

Edited by The Evil Genius

I'm a huge Hunnam fan so I am excited for Pacific Rim too. I'm sure the dialogue and plot will merely be serviceable enough to setup the huge action scenes and that's fine. This looks like one of those movies you can just get lost in in the beautiful action and get taken back to that childhood feeling of watching movies, even if it is over the top and ridiculous. 

Count me in. 

BTW - Hunnam was on Conan O'brien last night - his interview (plus the one before it with Kevin Bacon) were ridiculously funny. 

edit.one more poster - this time for Spike Lee's remake of Oldboy..and the first good image of Jamie Foxx as Electro...

oldboy-remake-poster.jpg

EWElectro.jpg

Edited by The Evil Genius

Welp, it finally happened.  As South Korean thrillers have becoming more and more mainstream here in the states, people started to acknowledge the EPIC that is Oldboy, after its been out for over 10 years.  A few years ago I heard it was gonna be will Smith and Steven Spielberg.  Well, turns out it'll be with Josh Brolin (aka Brand) and Sam Jackson, and Spike Lee. Josh Brolin is one hell of an actor, but he's really going to have to kill it if he wants to match Choi Min-Sik's performance in the original Oldboy.

Edit:  evil genius beat me to it. 

Funny too, because from the trailer, the American remake looks EXACTLY like the original, save what appears to be some kind of 9/11 angle.  I wonder if Josh Brolin is going to eat a live octopus ;)

American Remake Trailer:

Original Oldboy live octopus eating scene:

Edited by Chew

http://movies.yahoo.com/photos/2013-comic-con-reveals-1373492694-slideshow/comic-con-2013-reveals-photo-1374010452450.html

Again, with the Cruise!   :P

cruisemovie_zps552ae88b.jpg

I plan on reading these books soon.

darktowermovie_zpsa744192e.jpg

I really liked the '98 release with Broderick and Reno. And big ole effin monsters keep getting bigger and better. I thought Cloverfield set the "new bar" after the '98 Godzilla had claimed it, and now Pacific Rim is one who has really taken that same general "alien look" in their monsters and refined it. Maybe this newest G movie will try to regain the standard for GIANT ****ING MONSTER.  :lol:

godzilla_zps455dd586.jpg

and a newer link, below, on the 2014 Conan movie (with Arnie)

conanmovie_zps7501e66c.jpg

http://www.craveonline.com/film/articles/198697-arnold-schwarzenegger-will-be-back-in-legend-of-conan

Deadline reports that the new film, to be produced by Paradox Entertainment CEO Fredrik Malmberg and Fast Five screenwriter Chris Morgan (who came up with the story and my write the screenplay, schedule permitting), will finally show the events surrounding the lost shot of the original Conan the Barbarian, which featured an aged, bearded Conan sitting on a throne and wearing, according to narrator Mako, "the jeweled crown of Aquilonia atop a troubled brow." The second film in the franchise, Conan the Destroyer, continued the tale of young Conan, presumably because Schwarzenegger was still young and why waste money on a movie that couldn't yield more sequels if it's successful. In the years that followed, particularly as Schwarzenegger aged into the part, fans clamored for what for a long time was referred to as "King Conan."

When Schwarzenegger took office in California, and particularly when the ill-fated (but not terribly awful) Conan the Barbarian reboot premiered last year, it seemed unlikely that Schwarzenegger would ever return to the iconic role, but as of today, it's finally happening. And if you really despised the Conan the Barbarian remake, or even the underrated Conan the Destroyer, you're in luck, because according to the producers, those films never happened, kind of like how Superman III andSuperman IV: The Quest for Peace were intentionally retconned by Bryan Singer's Superman Returns in 2006.

Quoth the Malmberg: "After the original seminal movie, all that came after looked silly to me [...] This movie picks up Conan where Arnold is now in his life, and we will be able to use the fact that he has aged in this story. I love the property of Conan so much that I wouldn’t touch it unless we came up with something worthy. We think this is a worthy successor to the original film. Think of this as Conan's Unforgiven."

When discussing whether The Legend of Conan wil be R-rated, like the original film they admire so deeply, he was non-commital but spoke thusly: "Will that level of violence be there? Absolutely, but only if it serves a character who lives by that barbarian law of the wild, who is capable of extreme violence and rage, but who has created his own code and operates from within it. By the end of that film, Conan became a certain character, and this film picks him up there, as he faces different challenges that include dealing with age."

• Like 1

"12 Years a Slave" released its debut trailer, and while it looks like it'll be at least a decent movie, it also reeks of being 100% "Oscar-bait" through and through...:

Meanwhile, Christian Bale has an upcoming movie called "Out of the Furnace," which also stars Willem Dafoe, Casey Affleck, Woody Harrelson, Zoe Saldana, and Forest Whitaker, and it looks pretty great:

Trailer for the new movie from Alfonso Cuaron, "Gravity", looks awesomely terrifying.  I am a HUGE fan of his last movie, Children of Men.  Love his style for shooting action scenes like this.  This trailer is a 2 minute single shot. 

Edited by Bliz