Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

USA Today: Joe Gibbs Delivers Pre-Game Speech to the Dallas Cowboys

RonArtest15

Joe Gibbs explains his ‘pep talk’ in Dallas

When rumors circulated that Joe Gibbs had given the Dallas Cowboys a pregame pep talk this past weekend, it drew the ire of the most passionate Redskins fans. But the rumors had been exaggerated, and what was storied as a pep talk was actually a religious testimony, and Gibbs went on ESPN 980′s Inside the Locker Room to clear the air.

“I want to explain,” Gibbs started. “It was a chapel service, and Jonathan Evans and Tony Evans – Tony wrote one of the chapters in my book – and he was on about playing life the way God wants you to play life. I was there, it was a chapel service, and the guys invited me to the chapel and I gave my testimony.

“I talked about the Lord,” he continued. “I did not talk anything about pep talks or football. So I just wanted to clarify that because I am getting a few emails and stuff in here. I want all the Redskins fans to know, hey, look, I’m Redskins all the way and all I was doing was a chapel service.”

Then, Doc Walker jumped in to back Gibbs up.

“If you had talked to them about a pep talk, they’re not playing the Redskins,” Walker said. “At this point you do a lot of motivational speaking, you do different things. I don’t see anything wrong with it. I would tell those people who are complaining to get a life. This is what you do.”

Gibbs disagreed. “I would see something wrong with that ‘cause I don’t want to do that,” he said. “I’m a Redskin.”

So there you have it. Easy explanation, no one sold out, and Gibbs got out of this without having to trash the Cowboys to save face.

Walker, however, went for the jugular.

“For you to go down and deal with that group of sinners, and try to spread the Lord to them, I expect you to do that,” Walker said of the Cowboys. “I mean, I’d do the same thing, Coach. I’ve got some of them, I’m around. I love them to death but they need help. They need help, Joe.

“You spread the word, even if you have to go into the cesspool of life.”

Man, do these guys know their audience, or what?

Yeah, this is why I haven't been too fond of Joe as of late. Era II was fun, but it really came off as a cash grab to me. This "chapel service" comes off as the same deal.

You do realize he owns the 3rd or 4th most valuable team in NASCAR, right? He's not exactly hard up for cash.

You do realize he owns the 3rd or 4th most valuable team in NASCAR, right? He's not exactly hard up for cash.

What's NASCAR? :P

@Taylor703, it's was rumored (I don't put much stock into to it, though) that maybe Gibbs Racing wasn't doing all that well financially back before he decided to come back. Like I said i don't put much stock into it. To be honest, that comment came more from the bitterness of how bad that second era went. Well that and how you couldn't get a straight answer out of him during that time in the pressers.

A coach that doesn't answer questions "straight" in pressers...never heard of that before.

(par for the course)

Shanny gives you answers...just doesn't tell you everything. Gibbs would answer a question about talking about how hard someone fought their guts out and how he really felt for them.

On the other hand, Rex up in New York gives you straight answers...they are just bad ones. lol

That just shows what a class guy the coach is...another reason is a wonderful human being as well as a great coach and motivator. Sure I hate the Cowboys but the coach is a religious man and will not deny anyone who asks for his help even Jerrah and the cowpukes

Good on you coach I still love ya

GREAT response! I couldn't agree more - thanks for going against the grain so I didn't have to do it alone :)

People dont pay attention, it even said that in the original post. But the mass feel they they should post without reading the all the details first. I hope all the people that posted crap about Coach like the fact that may have been quoted in the Washington Post and blew things out of proportion. Which myself and many others on here tried to point out yesterday that it was for a chapel/church session, which isn't even mandatory. Hell, Id like to know the actual turnout at a non-mandatory church session the Cowboys held.

All I can say is, the majority of you acted like jerks to Coach Gibbs and anyone on here that defended him and I hope you're happy. You made the entire board look like a bunch of douche bags. *golf clap*

Get of your high horse. My post history speaks for itself ive posted many great things about oach gibbs over the years, so im not allowed to disapprove of something he did and share those thoughts with other fans like myself? Calling some of us Douche Bags when your name is don't taze me bro. Sorry that it rubbed me the wrong way after a heated division loss to see Coach Gibbs doing anything nice for Cowboy players. There are Billions of other souls that need saving, choose them. Think i can do with not reading anymore of your contributions to this site.... bro. Have a good one of best of luck to you.

long story

As a child, I idiolized the Hulkster. However as I got older I latched onto Flair.

Flair is a jerk. I mean, in real life. He lives somewhere in the Charlotte area or is here alot for some reason and has had numerous problems with the law. He thinks he can get away with anything because of his name.

This is another case of fans freaking out when they realize that players/coaches have lives outside of sports and don't share the same blind homerism as them.

Were you guys shocked to learn that Hogan and Andre the Giant were friends too? lol

Wrestling is fake, pro football is not.

But FWIW, this does NOT bother me at all that he talked religion to them and I'm not a religious man at all.

What does it matter? Gibbs is nothing but class and I hope that the players were able to take something away with them. A lot of the young mean need to see/hear more from people like him (even if he did come from an arch rival). I would like to think that ex-Skins players and current fans would like to have listened to Landry at one point in their lives.

Dear Coach,

Many of us relish your time you spent with us as our head coach. The majority of us are behind you. To spread the word in hostile territory is a testement of your faith and good will. I, for one, hope to one day be firmly planted on that rock to be able to do the same. I would like to apologize for the slight overreactions present on this board. Our fanbase is a great one, as I'm sure you know, and fiery to say the least. You are still loved and admired.

Regards,

The Non-freak-out-type Redskins Fan

PS Boo Boo on you Washington Post for draggin ES through the mud.

What does it matter? Gibbs is nothing but class and I hope that the players were able to take something away with them. A lot of the young mean need to see/hear more from people like him (even if he did come from an arch rival). I would like to think that ex-Skins players and current fans would like to have listened to Landry at one point in their lives.

People don't pay attention. Landry was a man of faith himself. This is a non issue to me and even after seeing the post of Gibbs explaination on the previous page, it's embarrassing that some of our fans are still posting displeasures of this. I'm a person who has "zero" religion in their life and even this didn't bother me. Gibbs says he's still a "Redskin" and that's good enough for me.

Archived