Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Southeast Division Champions Caps Vs. Rangers

ixcuincle

We upset the #2 seeded Bruins in the 1st round. We took the #1 seeded Rangers to game 7 in the second round. Seriously, a few bounces the other way we win the series 4-2 or 4-3 (Ovie hitting the post in OT in game 3, Holtby covers the rebound on game tieing goal in game 5). Point is, we didn't "choke" last year. We got beat by the #1 seed in the second round, in 7 games. Dramatic much?

I don't care how they lost it. They lost 'again." Different style, different year, same result

Listen, if I really didn't care about this team, I wouldn't be posting in here (like I don't post in the Wizards thread anymore, because I just don't care) , I would pick another team to root for and I wouldn't be wasting my time. The fact the we're 2 games in and I'm pissed already should show that I care about the fortunes of the team I've been loyal to for over 30 years. Are my posts too dramatic. Probably, but I'm passionate about my teams. My hands are tied as to what can be done to get this team over the hump and past the 2nd round. I'm out of answers and now I'm resorting to being pissed off at them. I'm not sure what to do anymore. And I have the game pre-recorded for tonight on 642 on DTV, because I won't be home until after 7 (going to the gym).

Well I don't live in the area so buy as many tickets as you like. If you like playoff losses year after year, then that's your choice. I would hope my team would strive for better and wouldn't be happy until they brought home the cup. Again, it's like Redskin fans waving a banner for a wild card loss. Redskin fans used to have higher standards and so should Capitals fans.

Don't worry, we go through this every year. The real season doesn't begin until January anyway.

Oh wait.

Well I don't live in the area so buy as many tickets as you like. If you like playoff losses year after year, then that's your choice. I would hope my team would strive for better and wouldn't be happy until they brought home the cup. Again, it's like Redskin fans waving a banner for a wild card loss. Redskin fans used to have higher standards and so should Capitals fans.

What do your own high expectations for championships from the teams you root for actually get you?

Jesus man. Chill the **** out. The Caps have been to a STF, in 1998. They have been in the ECF twice. They have made the playoffs 24 times in the last 30 years (24 times in 38 seasons overall). Think about that for a second. How many teams can claim that? There have been 16 winners of the Stanley Cup since the Caps joined the league. So just over half of the league has won a Stanley Cup since 1974. That means half the league hasn't. Not every team wins a Cup. You have to accept that. We ran into the Islanders dynasty in the 80's, and the Pens in the 90's. We mad a Cup final, and ran into a buzzsaw that was the Detroit. NO ONE from the EC was going to beat them in 1998. Quit ****ing because we haven't won a Cup and enjoy the fact that your team is competent and makes the playoffs 80% of the time (after making it the first time).

---------- Post added January-24th-2013 at 12:55 PM ----------

I don't care how they lost it. They lost 'again." Different style, different year, same result

Listen, if I really didn't care about this team, I wouldn't be posting in here (like I don't post in the Wizards thread anymore, because I just don't care) , I would pick another team to root for and I wouldn't be wasting my time. The fact the we're 2 games in and I'm pissed already should show that I care about the fortunes of the team I've been loyal to for over 30 years. Are my posts too dramatic. Probably, but I'm passionate about my teams. My hands are tied as to what can be done to get this team over the hump and past the 2nd round. I'm out of answers and now I'm resorting to being pissed off at them. I'm not sure what to do anymore. And I have the game pre-recorded for tonight on 642 on DTV, because I won't be home until after 7 (going to the gym).

Actually, it makes you seem like a whiner. You sound like Jim Harbaugh looked after the officials upheld the call on the field last Sunday.

I'm not one to be overly dramatic about the Caps but I do find it funny that we've gone from "this is a generational team and we'll compete for the Cup for the next decade!" to "only half of the teams in the league have won Cups since the Caps joined so stop hating on the Caps".

I'm not going to give a bunch of credit to beating the Bruins and going to Game 7 against NYR last year, either. Hunter's style basically dictated that any game where the goalie was somewhat competent would be a 50/50 tossup with that ultra defensive no-risk style. I'm not saying the results we are seeing right now are indicative of how this team will play for the rest of the season but I do feel like this is an incredibly flawed roster in many areas. I thought that before the season started and I haven't seen any indications that it's not the case. I'd love to be wrong though.

I understand the case some are making but I'm so tired of being the oldest team in the NHL to have never won a cup. I'm tired of being the bridesmaid every year. More importantly, I'm so ****ing tired from seeing undisciplined underwhelming efforts from this current group, year after year, regardless of scheme or coach. To me you can say whatever the hell you want about new scheme, lockout, rookie coach, takes time, blah blah blah...I just don't see it. What I do see is another year of the same group that's proven time and time again, particularly the supposed leaders and stars, that they don't have the fight, heart, dedication and pride in their craft that championship players and teams do. Maybe Oatsy will change that but I've heard that before....more than once. I'll continue to watch and route for them, obviously (if I didn't abandon the Redskins I'm not going anywhere on the Caps, lol) but my expectations for this season and this group in general have pretty much been indefinitely shelved.

I'm not one to be overly dramatic about the Caps but I do find it funny that we've gone from "this is a generational team and we'll compete for the Cup for the next decade!" to "only half of the teams in the league have won Cups since the Caps joined so stop hating on the Caps".
I never said to be "content" with reaching 1 SCF. But some fans act like we are entitled to win one as fans. Some GREAT teams have never won the Cup. The St Louis Blues were a VERY good team in the late 60's (3 consecutive SCF appearances), and in the 80's. They have never won a Cup. The Winnipeg Jets (original and new) have never made a SCF. The San Jose Sharks have never made a SCF. The Vancouver Canucks have never won a SC. The Buffalo Sabres have never won a SC. The Toronto Maple Leafs haven't won a SC since 1967 (before Caps were founded). We compete each year to win a SC. We make the playoffs almost every year. Don't be "content" with that, be happy we have a chance...
I'm not going to give a bunch of credit to beating the Bruins and going to Game 7 against NYR last year, either. Hunter's style basically dictated that any game where the goalie was somewhat competent would be a 50/50 tossup with that ultra defensive no-risk style. I'm not saying the results we are seeing right now are indicative of how this team will play for the rest of the season but I do feel like this is an incredibly flawed roster in many areas. I thought that before the season started and I haven't seen any indications that it's not the case. I'd love to be wrong though.
And here it is. We ***** and moan about choking against the Canadiens. The Caps transition to a defensive style, and we "got lucky" to win in round 1 and almost win in round 2 (that is what 50/50 indicates, a coin toss). We tried high flying, we tried playing close to the vest. Now we are trying a hybrid of the two. We lost 2 games to start the year. PANIC. Scrap the system, The roster sucks. Our 27 year old captain is old. No players worth a damn.

This team has one thing going for it: schizophrenic fans.

---------- Post added January-24th-2013 at 02:40 PM ----------

I understand the case some are making but I'm so tired of being the oldest team in the NHL to have never won a cup. I'm tired of being the bridesmaid every year. More importantly, I'm so ****ing tired from seeing undisciplined underwhelming efforts from this current group, year after year, regardless of scheme or coach. To me you can say whatever the hell you want about new scheme, lockout, rookie coach, takes time, blah blah blah...I just don't see it. What I do see is another year of the same group that's proven time and time again, particularly the supposed leaders and stars, that they don't have the fight, heart, dedication and pride in their craft that championship players and teams do. Maybe Oatsy will change that but I've heard that before....more than once. I'll continue to watch and route for them, obviously (if I didn't abandon the Redskins I'm not going anywhere on the Caps, lol) but my expectations for this season and this group in general have pretty much been indefinitely shelved.
We are not the oldest team in the NHL to have not won the cup: Vancouver (1970), St Louis (1967).

Are you being serious Pope?

You don't see a happy medium between the 2009-10 high flying Caps and last years "play defense and hope you can score 2 goals"? You don't think other teams in the league have much more balanced approaches than that?

Besides, I'm not even sure who you are referring to. I would have been fine giving the 09-10 another shot if the productivity of certain players *cough* Ovechkin *cough* hadn't completely fallen off a cliff. I always considered that Montreal series to be mostly a fluke.

Whoa. Tix on Stubhub for 5 bucks. Lower Level center for 60.

---------- Post added January-24th-2013 at 07:02 PM ----------

And from the Caps reporters and fans I follow on Twitter, it sounds like the new ticketing & security system at Verizon Center is a complete disaster. No one is in their seats yet. Good job, Ted. Way to piss off your already pissed off fans.

Ted Leonsis has had quite a fall from grace in last few years....

His face now boils my blood

---------- Post added January-24th-2013 at 07:08 PM ----------

it'll be funny to read this thread after we win tonight

---------- Post added January-24th-2013 at 07:09 PM ----------

yeah, you ***** to the media about playing time then trip a guy within the first minute. way to go

Ted Leonsis has had quite a fall from grace in last few years....

His face now boils my blood

---------- Post added January-24th-2013 at 07:08 PM ----------

it'll be funny to read this thread after we win tonight

---------- Post added January-24th-2013 at 07:09 PM ----------

yeah, you ***** to the media about playing time then trip a guy within the first minute. way to go

As a fan, I like what Leonsis has done building this franchise. As a STH, I want him to suffer a horrible fate. He basically held all of our money in escrow and used it as leverage against the players.

Brouwer and Ovechkin weren't content with a fairly well played first period. Better take some embarrassingly bad penalties.

---------- Post added January-24th-2013 at 08:08 PM ----------

Make that 3 idiotic penalties and Montreal capitalizes of course.

Typical. Lack of focus to start the 2nd, 3 penalties and now down 0-2. This team needs gutting and I'm sure people don't want to see me poking my head in to point out the obvious flaws of the capitals so I'll stay away now. Just my way of detaching so I'm not fooled into thinking this team will do anything significant this year, lesson finally learned after last year. Hope they turn the season around, but honestly what for another 1st or 2nd round loss?

Why the hell isn't Backstrom taking most of the face offs this year? I thought he was pretty damn good at them last season??

And why do we keep taking horrible penalties? sheesh

On a bright note, if I want to goto a game this year tickets will be cheap and readily available at this rate

Archived