Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Southeast Division Champions Caps Vs. Rangers

ixcuincle

This team ain't winning the SC. I been watching the Caps for 20 yrs. We know how this will go. Make excuses about the scheme being new, new coach, etc blah blah blah. There is no excuse for effort. One person cared last night. I'm beginning to wonder if the players here really even care anymore. Maybe they been through this whole "we'll never win the big one" thing so may times they've just lost their edge.

This team ain't winning the SC. I been watching the Caps for 20 yrs. We know how this will go. Make excuses about the scheme being new, new coach, etc blah blah blah. There is no excuse for effort. One person cared last night. I'm beginning to wonder if the players here really even care anymore. Maybe they been through this whole "we'll never win the big one" thing so may times they've just lost their edge.

This. I said this after game one and got chastised. I'm always the die hard homer that never says it's over until it's over. Yeah sure we might somehow win our division but this team will not win the cup. There is no way to practice heart and we have seen that our guys dont have it when it counts. It's that simple. Thats not something that just magically appears. Why do you think we keep having coaching and scheme changes. Look at the Redskins, we cleaned house to get rid of the lack of heart on our team. No Heart. No Focus. No Championship.

Can't deny that we sucked last two games but of course, there is still a ways to go

I don't get why ppl get mad when ppl go crazy because I feel like hockey is the one sport that most fans don't truly understand (me included)

It's a different animal, who knows what will happen next week or next month?

Because this isn't about the scheme. This is about heart and effort. If it was simply we weren't executed thats one thing. If we were giving up lousy turnovers, taking bad shots,etc thats something that can be fixed. You can't fix heart. The best team will not always win the stanley cup. Sometimes its the team that puts in the time and effort and when things get tough they give everything. I don't see that. I see a team that couldn't even get itself excited for a home opener. This was after getting owned the first game no less. If you don't have heart you can't win the Cup. This team needs to look in the mirror and figure it out what kind of team it is. Maybe its because Ovi can't inject excitement into his team anymore but something has to change.

Lockout, new coach, no training camp. It's way too early to jump to conclusions. The fact that We had Fleischmann and Semin as our auxiliary scorers and now we have Wojtek Wolski on our second line is scary though. I liken McPhee to the AJ smith of the NHL.

On a side note. 4-5 years ago, caps games were full of raucous fans, clad in red, drunkenly exuberant.Hockey fans. Last year and last night, you see yuppies in suits entertaining clients on business, beating traffic in the third period. In "Building America's Hockey Capital" Ted, has neutered the fan base, IMO.

On a side note. 4-5 years ago, caps games were full of raucous fans, clad in red, drunkenly exuberant.Hockey fans. Last year and last night, you see yuppies in suits entertaining clients on business, beating traffic in the third period. In "Building America's Hockey Capital" Ted, has neutered the fan base, IMO.

That happens any time a team succeeds and the games become must-see events. People hopped on the Caps' bandwagon after a couple good years. If the Wizards had back-to-back playoff seasons, you'd see a similar thing.

Because this isn't about the scheme. This is about heart and effort. If it was simply we weren't executed thats one thing. If we were giving up lousy turnovers, taking bad shots,etc thats something that can be fixed. You can't fix heart. The best team will not always win the stanley cup. Sometimes its the team that puts in the time and effort and when things get tough they give everything. I don't see that. I see a team that couldn't even get itself excited for a home opener. This was after getting owned the first game no less. If you don't have heart you can't win the Cup. This team needs to look in the mirror and figure it out what kind of team it is. Maybe its because Ovi can't inject excitement into his team anymore but something has to change.
Come on, man. The Caps blocked how many shots in the 2 playoff series last year? They did how many "little things" the board was SCREAMING for them to do after the Montreal series? These guys are playing slow because they have to think. A whole new offensive system and defensive system. Our 3 best players through 2 games have been Joel War, Jay Beagle and Matt Hendricks. Why? Because they have all played in a similar system before. Carlson, Alzner, and Green haven't ever played in a defensive system like this. Poti has been off for 2 years (and he sucks), Hamrlik is old. The PP looks good for 15 seconds at a time, before someone freexes. The P is literally a step slow, because they are thinking. Holtby looks off, I'll give you that. You have to give this team a couple weeks to learn the system. We need to hang around .500 through 20 games. Relax. 2 games doesn't a season make.

Come on, man. The Caps blocked how many shots in the 2 playoff series last year? They did how many "little things" the board was SCREAMING for them to do after the Montreal series? These guys are playing slow because they have to think. A whole new offensive system and defensive system. Our 3 best players through 2 games have been Joel War, Jay Beagle and Matt Hendricks. Why? Because they have all played in a similar system before. Carlson, Alzner, and Green haven't ever played in a defensive system like this. Poti has been off for 2 years (and he sucks), Hamrlik is old. The PP looks good for 15 seconds at a time, before someone freexes. The P is literally a step slow, because they are thinking. Holtby looks off, I'll give you that. You have to give this team a couple weeks to learn the system. We need to hang around .500 through 20 games. Relax. 2 games doesn't a season make.

I don't think it takes a new defensive scheme from our players to figure out when a puck is just sliding in our zone and wide open ice we should get to the puck instead of casually skating along thus letting a Jets player fly by grab the puck and pass to his teammate for a wide open net goal. That is just lazy.

Mathematically, this is the equivalent of throwing in the towel on the Redskins' 2013 season if they are trailing sometime in the third quarter of their opener next year. Seems a bit premature to me.

Have you ever checked on this board during games? It's the same thing. Games and seasons are lost just a few plays in to some people.

Have you ever checked on this board during games? It's the same thing. Games and seasons are lost just a few plays in to some people.

I have. And we've all realize how ridiculous and reactionary those opinions are. Don't get me wrong, I love the Redskins and Orioles and spent many hours this past year pacing and believing that each moment would define their season. But, whenever those moments were over (successful or not), I was able to come back down and realize that it's a long season.

The only thing the Caps are guaranteed of at this point in time is having at least 2 losses. It's not panic time yet.

I don't think it takes a new defensive scheme from our players to figure out when a puck is just sliding in our zone and wide open ice we should get to the puck instead of casually skating along thus letting a Jets player fly by grab the puck and pass to his teammate for a wide open net goal. That is just lazy.

New schemes make for hesitations. Should I push for the puck? Who's filling behind me? Who's taking the man in the corner? Where's my breakout? Those hesitations seem to always look like laziness to the person who doesn't really know what's going on because they player is always a step slow. They know where they should be, but it's not yet instinctual. It's not going to be fixed in the next game, but they'll probably be a bit better. I'm hoping they find their grove by the 10th game and have squeeked out a few wins by then. I'd be fine with a 4-6 or 3-7 if they start playing without hesitation by the end of it.

And hey, look back at the last two Cup champs. Two years ago the city of Boston was calling for Claude Julian's head at the all-star break. They were in the 10th seed at mid season. The Kings we in the 10th seed as late as April last year. APRIL! The Caps have tons of time, even in this shortened season. The first 1/4 of the season will be about learning the system, they won't be good. But hey, I'd rather have them learn a new system with virtually no training camp than to have no hockey at all.

New schemes make for hesitations. Should I push for the puck? Who's filling behind me? Who's taking the man in the corner? Where's my breakout? Those hesitations seem to always look like laziness to the person who doesn't really know what's going on because they player is always a step slow. They know where they should be, but it's not yet instinctual. It's not going to be fixed in the next game, but they'll probably be a bit better. I'm hoping they find their grove by the 10th game and have squeeked out a few wins by then. I'd be fine with a 4-6 or 3-7 if they start playing without hesitation by the end of it.

And hey, look back at the last two Cup champs. Two years ago the city of Boston was calling for Claude Julian's head at the all-star break. They were in the 10th seed at mid season. The Kings we in the 10th seed as late as April last year. APRIL! The Caps have tons of time, even in this shortened season. The first 1/4 of the season will be about learning the system, they won't be good. But hey, I'd rather have them learn a new system with virtually no training camp than to have no hockey at all.

We are not the Kings or Bruins. We're the Caps. The team underachieves every year. Every year we get our hopes up of finally getting the SC. Then we crash back to reality first or second round of playoffs. Maybe we'll break through year and actually do it but I don't see it. You forget that Kings got hot at the right time. Boston's goalkeeping was incredible. Caps don't get that. We don't get hot during the playoffs. We get cold. Holtby looked good(and dang near amazing) last playoffs but that might just be a flash in the pan for all we know. In my opinion our window closed. Our best shot was when Ovi was in his prime. Everyone believed we could finally do it. We didn't. That's where we stand.

Trust me I'd love nothing more than to have a Stanley Cup parade in DC. I get so sick of my Avalache, Hurricane,etc friends rubbing their Stanley Cups in my face. I just don't see it happening.

We are not the Kings or Bruins. We're the Caps. The team underachieves every year. Every year we get our hopes up of finally getting the SC. Then we crash back to reality first or second round of playoffs. Maybe we'll break through year and actually do it but I don't see it. You forget that Kings got hot at the right time. Boston's goalkeeping was incredible. Caps don't get that. We don't get hot during the playoffs. We get cold. Holtby looked good(and dang near amazing) last playoffs but that might just be a flash in the pan for all we know. In my opinion our window closed. Our best shot was when Ovi was in his prime. Everyone believed we could finally do it. We didn't. That's where we stand.

Trust me I'd love nothing more than to have a Stanley Cup parade in DC. I get so sick of my Avalache, Hurricane,etc friends rubbing their Stanley Cups in my face. I just don't see it happening.

Ovi is in his prime. Right now. He is 27.

And for pete's sake, the Caps haven't won a cup in the last 4 years, but I would hardly say they have disappointed. There are some really storied NHL franchises that have never won a cup. Granted, the Montreals, Detroits, Chicagos, Bostons, New Yorks, Edmontons of the NHL have multiple banners. But how many of those were won when their were 8 teams and the only round of the playoffs were the cup finals? The Flyers, a storied franchise in NHL history, haven't won a cup since the Caps inaugural season!

We are not the Kings or Bruins. We're the Caps. The team underachieves every year. Every year we get our hopes up of finally getting the SC. Then we crash back to reality first or second round of playoffs. Maybe we'll break through year and actually do it but I don't see it.

You have to realize that description perfectly fit the Kings and the Bruins before they won cups.

I completely disagree with the idea that the window is closed. We have a defensive pairing that has played the shut down role in the playoffs at 23 and 22. Look at our forwards, 5 of our top 6 are 27 or under. Players often hit their statistical peaks around 24 or 25, but the all around peak ofter happens later when they become more well rounded. Our goalies are 23 and 24 and have already showed significant promise, not to mention I think Grubauer is a hell of a prospect too. Don't forget that Kuznetsov is arguably the best player not in the NHL right now and Forsberg/Wilson are without at doubt top 6 players down the line. When those prospects make their appearance in a year or two we could have an overabundance of young talent on the roster.

Caps have very little talent on defense. Pleanty of games where they are going to give up four or more goals. We need to get use to it.

As far as the yuppies taking over, Ted raised season ticket prices 50% over the three seasons I owned them so I gave them up. Some yupie has my seats now. At the rate the Caps are going, seats will get pretty cheap on stub hub anyway.

Ovi is in his prime. Right now. He is 27.

And for pete's sake, the Caps haven't won a cup in the last 4 years, but I would hardly say they have disappointed. There are some really storied NHL franchises that have never won a cup. Granted, the Montreals, Detroits, Chicagos, Bostons, New Yorks, Edmontons of the NHL have multiple banners. But how many of those were won when their were 8 teams and the only round of the playoffs were the cup finals? The Flyers, a storied franchise in NHL history, haven't won a cup since the Caps inaugural season!

Ovi is in his prime? No sir. Ovi in his prime could things we couldn't imagine a player could do with a stick and a puck. Ovi is good no doubt but he is past his prime unless something changes and that shows otherwise.

Who cares what other teams have done? We are not them. We are the Capitals. It is a simple fact no matter what team we brought to the dance they always go out early unless you mention our good ole sweep we received from the Red Wings. We should be happy we constantly go to the playoffs with no good results even thought we're usually a top seed? That's like being a Colts of the NHL or the Patriots(but at least they got a couple Super Bowls). How the hell a Caps fan could be satisfied with going to the playoffs and losing early every year is beyond me. Maybe my expectations are too high or I demand more of my teams but I sure as hell expect my Caps team that has gone to the playoffs every year since 2007 to do a little more.

What really bothers me about some in here is, if you question the team, you are being overly dramatic about it. Yet, year after year, we keep hearing how this team is in their prime, this team is different, this team will make a push for a cup, but year after year we get the same results. The Caps are like the Redskins from 1995-2011. They keep fooling us into thinking they will bring home a title, yet year after year theydisappoint us. Tired of being patient. Tired of waiting for them to figure out new offenses, defenses, yadda, yadda, yadda. Other teams seem to figure it out. Why can't we?

I'm with Richmondredskins. I don't care what other teams have done or do. To be happy with what has transpired over the last 5 years is like accepting the Redskins wild card/divisional playoff losses in 99, 05 and 07 as some kind of high ground. There was a time in DC when the Redskins getting knocked out in the playoffs was seen as a horrible thing and only conference or superbowl titles mattered. So far, the benchmark for the Caps is 5 consecutive playoff losses, half a dozen stupid SE division champ banners (whoopie- we win the worst division in hockey every year) and an ignorant Presidents Trophy with a big choke sign attached to the bottom of it. Is this what you guys love?

Sorry, Stanley Cup or bust and this team will never win it with the cast they have assembled. Tired of the excuses. If they are in their prime NOW, win it NOW. Tired of the excuses. And does dumbass wearing #8 even have a point right now? 13 million to put up goose-eggs. Wonderful.

Sorry, Stanley Cup or bust and this team will never win it with the cast they have assembled. Tired of the excuses. If they are in their prime NOW, win it NOW. Tired of the excuses. And does dumbass wearing #8 even have a point right now? 13 million to put up goose-eggs. Wonderful.

Feel free to stop watching and going to games. That leaves more tickets available to the rest of us who actually enjoy watching hockey and won't only be happy if our team wins a title.

What really bothers me about some in here is, if you question the team, you are being overly dramatic about it. Yet, year after year, we keep hearing how this team is in their prime, this team is different, this team will make a push for a cup, but year after year we get the same results. The Caps are like the Redskins from 1995-2011. They keep fooling us into thinking they will bring home a title, yet year after year theydisappoint us. Tired of being patient. Tired of waiting for them to figure out new offenses, defenses, yadda, yadda, yadda. Other teams seem to figure it out. Why can't we?

I'm with Richmondredskins. I don't care what other teams have done or do. To be happy with what has transpired over the last 5 years is like accepting the Redskins wild card/divisional playoff losses in 99, 05 and 07 as some kind of high ground. There was a time in DC when the Redskins getting knocked out in the playoffs was seen as a horrible thing and only conference or superbowl titles mattered. So far, the benchmark for the Caps is 5 consecutive playoff losses, half a dozen stupid SE division champ banners (whoopie- we win the worst division in hockey every year) and an ignorant Presidents Trophy with a big choke sign attached to the bottom of it. Is this what you guys love?

Absolutely agree with this. You do not pay a man $13 million to do nothing. I don't care about different schemes and different lines and what not. It comes down to playing the damn game and our stars are just not getting it done. And this BS about 6 days to prepare...half this damn team has been playing in different leagues overseas the past few months. They look out of shape and lack luster.

I am glad they are benching Holtby, maybe a fresh goalie with make a difference. I will eat crow if they change it around tonight, but I highly doubt they will.

To note I will continue to support the team and watch the games as long as I see heart from some players, but damn they need to change and quick.

Still, it’s interesting to see which teams were most pressed to make these types of amends — the Senators, Penguins, Canadiens and Canucks ranked surprisingly high — and which teams — Dallas, Washington — basically opened the doors with a smirk that said, “We knew you’d come crawling back.”

http://nhl.si.com/2013/01/23/carolina-hurricanes-top-nhl-fan-discounts-survey/

Seriously considering making this my last season as a Caps STH. If Ted hikes prices again after this season then I almost definitely will be out.

Feel free to stop watching and going to games. That leaves more tickets available to the rest of us who actually enjoy watching hockey and won't only be happy if our team wins a title.

Well I don't live in the area so buy as many tickets as you like. If you like playoff losses year after year, then that's your choice. I would hope my team would strive for better and wouldn't be happy until they brought home the cup. Again, it's like Redskin fans waving a banner for a wild card loss. Redskin fans used to have higher standards and so should Capitals fans.

We upset the #2 seeded Bruins in the 1st round. We took the #1 seeded Rangers to game 7 in the second round. Seriously, a few bounces the other way we win the series 4-2 or 4-3 (Ovie hitting the post in OT in game 3, Holtby covers the rebound on game tieing goal in game 5). Point is, we didn't "choke" last year. We got beat by the #1 seed in the second round, in 7 games. Dramatic much?

Archived