Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Southeast Division Champions Caps Vs. Rangers

ixcuincle

Yeah I'm thinking this easily relegates Laich to LW.  Whether that's on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd line depends on MoJo.

Right now I'd go:

Erat - Nicky - Ovi

Brouwer - Grabo - Laich

That's my top 6.

That changes situationally and as Wilson develops I think he would do work on the 2nd line and in Brouwer's spot on the PP as the trash man, and of course if Traktor doesn't make the playoffs and we get Kuzya in March... well I might just tickle a pickle.

If Grabo is indeed signed to a 1 year $3 mil contract, that certainly shores up the 2C position. Problem is, though, that doesn't leave all that much room for Johansson and a 23rd man on the roster. If we managed to get Mackan to sign for for $2 mil, that only leaves around $670,000, which isn't enough to bring up really any of our NHL-ready prospects. Latta, Orlov, and Wilson are all too expensive to fit.

Now I'm not necessarily advocating this move, but maybe we'll wind up needing to trade Johansson. If this is the case, maybe we could get a LHD out of it. Perhaps in a deal that packages Erskine to free up some more cap space (and help pry a decent LHD from somebody by providing some form of replacement) that might allow us to wiggle in Kuznetsov when his KHL season is over.

Yeah I'm thinking this easily relegates Laich to LW.  Whether that's on the 1st, 2nd or 3rd line depends on MoJo.

Right now I'd go:

Erat - Nicky - Ovi

Brouwer - Grabo - Laich

That's my top 6.

That changes situationally and as Wilson develops I think he would do work on the 2nd line and in Brouwer's spot on the PP as the trash man, and of course if Traktor doesn't make the playoffs and we get Kuzya in March... well I might just tickle a pickle.

No reason for Wilson to be in the lineup.  Let the kid develop in the AHL.

I've read reports that Mojo has been on the block for a while now.

He's got to be worth some type of D-depth

Back in our "getting carried away days" McPhee called him a "young Nick Backstrom".

I think Nickey was pretty young himself, at the time, lol.

Oye...

No reason for Wilson to be in the lineup.  Let the kid develop in the AHL.

I'd have him up, he's a powerful kid with the right attitude who can be successful in the NHL.  I don't think we'll hinder his development at all if he's up with the big club this season.

I'd have him up, he's a powerful kid with the right attitude who can be successful in the NHL.  I don't think we'll hinder his development at all if he's up with the big club this season.

I think we could hurt his development if we bring him up, but relegate him to a 3rd/4th line role, which would be likely at this point.  He needs to work  on his offensive game and if he was in Washington he'd get fewer minutes with more defensive zone starts.  I'm not sure his game has developed enough to fill a top 6 role right now.

I think we could hurt his development if we bring him up, but relegate him to a 3rd/4th line role, which would be likely at this point.  He needs to work  on his offensive game and if he was in Washington he'd get fewer minutes with more defensive zone starts.  I'm not sure his game has developed enough to fill a top 6 role right now.

That makes sense.

I guess I'd rather him work on that then cycling the puck every shift. 

That makes sense.

I guess I'd rather him work on that then cycling the puck every shift. 

And if he stays in Plymouth he gets valuable experience being the guy that needs to provide the offense.  Last year Vincent Trocheck was that guy for the Whalers, he was a stud, and he'll probably make the Panthers out of camp this year.  Being the guy that the other team is targeting to shut down will be good for him.  

And if he really excels, he could certainly be a mid season call up if injuries leave a top 6 hole at RW.

And if he stays in Plymouth he gets valuable experience being the guy that needs to provide the offense.  Last year Vincent Trocheck was that guy for the Whalers, he was a stud, and he'll probably make the Panthers out of camp this year.  Being the guy that the other team is targeting to shut down will be good for him.  

And if he really excels, he could certainly be a mid season call up if injuries leave a top 6 hole at RW.

That would make for an interesting discussion come time to assemble playoff roster (if we can get in). 

I'm keeping one eye on the KHL, I'll have to have another on the that development.

What you think about Latta playing on the 4th line?

Here's the thing about Mojo... I know he has the speed and determination to compete in the newly aligned division... but does he have the size?  Furthermore, does he have the ability to survive a whole season against guys bigger than him?  I mean let's face it, the dude is gonna go through a lot more pain than he did in the old division.  Hell everyone is.

I just think mojo could have a better career in a different division.

That would make for an interesting discussion come time to assemble playoff roster (if we can get in). 

I'm keeping one eye on the KHL, I'll have to have another on the that development.

What you think about Latta playing on the 4th line?

I'm totally cool with Latta coming up.  It's very unlikely that he becomes a top 6 forward, he can hopefully be a Matt Hendricks-esque bottom 6 guy.  Getting some time in the NHL defending some highly skilled guys would probably be good for him.

Here's the thing about Mojo... I know he has the speed and determination to compete in the newly aligned division... but does he have the size?  Furthermore, does he have the ability to survive a whole season against guys bigger than him?  I mean let's face it, the dude is gonna go through a lot more pain than he did in the old division.  Hell everyone is.

I just think mojo could have a better career in a different division.

My biggest thing with MoJo is he never finishes down by the crease.  Countless times he got loose last year and Backstrom or Ovi would give him a DIME and he would either miss it completely or he would hit it right to the goalie with an open net.

I'm totally cool with Latta coming up.  It's very unlikely that he becomes a top 6 forward, he can hopefully be a Matt Hendricks-esque bottom 6 guy.  Getting some time in the NHL defending some highly skilled guys would probably be good for him.

His ceiling is as a 3rd line Center.  But we won't get started on that trade again :)

I think we let Hendricks go because we had Latta ready to come up.

My biggest thing with MoJo is he never finishes down by the crease.  Countless times he got loose last year and Backstrom or Ovi would give him a DIME and he would either miss it completely or he would hit it right to the goalie with an open net.

He's only 22, though. He's got a lot of development ahead of himself, and after he properly recovered from his concussion last season, he helped that top-line to click. Sure, he left a few goals on his stick, but he'll get better with time. The only reason I'm considering trading him is the question of whether or not we can afford him. We've got somewhere around $2.67 million in cap space, with two roster spots open. If he signs for $2 million, that only leaves us $670k to fill out the 23-man roster, which amounts to recalling somebody who's not ready, or dumpster-diving to find a league-minimum guy to sign so that he can sit in the press box.

He's only 22, though. He's got a lot of development ahead of himself, and after he properly recovered from his concussion last season, he helped that top-line to click. Sure, he left a few goals on his stick, but he'll get better with time. The only reason I'm considering trading him is the question of whether or not we can afford him. We've got somewhere around $2.67 million in cap space, with two roster spots open. If he signs for $2 million, that only leaves us $670k to fill out the 23-man roster, which amounts to recalling somebody who's not ready, or dumpster-diving to find a league-minimum guy to sign so that he can sit in the press box.

Agreed.  Not to mention, what happens if Wilson REALLY impresses during training camp?  Or if Kuznetsov is actually ready to make the jump after the olympics?  We'd have to count on having a few players on LTIR in order to get the young guys on to the roster.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived