Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Southeast Division Champions Caps Vs. Rangers

ixcuincle

For the weirdos that want Antropov

"Don't think he's been an effective 2C for years, if he ever was. @FPLongo: Antropov could be an effective 2C for the Caps"

Mike Vogel

Oh don't worry, I'm sure Brooksie or Matty P will lock it down.  Championship style. #TSN

Guys, nothing is going to happen unless we force it to.

Ted is not going to fire GMGM.  We need to organize, like, Eagles and Giants prime time game organize.  Color coordinated clothing (black out or white out at home) and bring signs that say "Fire McPhee".  Then when Ted inevitably sends his boys to confiscate the signs, we call Steinberg.

I'm not over reacting here, this has been going on for years.  McPhee gets no respect from anyone in the league.  People who say he does are just idiots.  All of the trades have been horrible one year or one month rentals, the picks are 50/50 at the very best.  It's just embarrassing.

Players aren't coming here because of McPhee.  Oatsie can only do so much.  That should speak volumes.

Is it wrong to say the GM's press conference made me want to kick puppies?

Well, when you have $8mil in cap space (presumably 4-5 after resigning Alz and MoJo) and now one wants to take that other 4-5 mil off of your hands to play... it's a deeper problem.

GMs and Agents don't respect McPhee.  It's that simple.  One year rentals aren't popular with players.  And while I give a **** what Tamara Ribeiro has to say, she's a great example of why players won't sign here.  And the root of that evil is McPhee because he has no vision.

And at that press conference he said Brooksie is going to play 2C?  Are you ****ing kidding me smalls?

Guys this has to stop this year.  We've got to do something as a fanbase because we're wasting Ovechkin's prime with this guy.

I disagree about a lack of respect for the GM by other players and agents. I think the biggest problem now is right at the top of the organization in Ted. My opinion of him has really changed a lot but when you have two franchises that are owned by the same person in a big market and neither franchise is ever able to lure free agents here, that's a sign of bad ownership.

It's what we are talking about in the Wiz thread as well. The Wizards don't sign good free agents either. There is one common denominator.

I disagree about a lack of respect for the GM by other players and agents. I think the biggest problem now is right at the top of the organization in Ted. My opinion of him has really changed a lot but when you have two franchises that are owned by the same person in a big market and neither franchise is ever able to lure free agents here, that's a sign of bad ownership.

It's what we are talking about in the Wiz thread as well. The Wizards don't sign good free agents either. There is one common denominator.

Obviously it's Teddy, Hersh... but one hand washes the other.

You have two incompentent GM's who no one respects... by default it's Ted because he hired them and has refused to fire them.

But I'm not backing off on the lack of respect for McPhee.  The Forsberg trade confirmed that one for me.

And check out all of the Wojcek Wolski's we're signing this offseason... sweet sassy mollasy bro.

Obviously it's Teddy, Hersh... but one hand washes the other.

You have two incompentent GM's who no one respects... by default it's Ted because he hired them and has refused to fire them.

But I'm not backing off on the lack of respect for McPhee.  The Forsberg trade confirmed that one for me.

And check out all of the Wojcek Wolski's we're signing this offseason... sweet sassy mollasy bro.

I hear ya on all the signings. The part that bothered me the most about the press conference was when GMGM was talking about not making changes and said "Chicago and Boston didn't make any changes last off season and they made the finals."

I don't think I need to explain how bad it sounds comparing the Caps to either of those teams.

Ha! Liach at 2C. I called that one weeks ago.

What a joke! (No disrespect toward Liach intended)

Yeah that was pretty easy to see.

My one question to George McPhee would've been "If Laich is a servicable 2C then why did we trade Eakin and a 2d for Ribeiro?" 

I mean, if the Redskins pulled this type of **** these reporters would be all over them.  We've seen it. 

This is basically Grossman and Beck....

Again, no disrespect to Brooksie, but he's not a 2C.

McPhee on 980 yesterday curtesoy of our boys at RMNB.   http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/2013/07/10/george-mcphee-evgeny-kuznetsovs-khl-contract-worth-10-million-most-of-the-money-is-under-the-table/

What will it take to get over the hump in the playoffs?

Just gotta make [the team] better. In order to win, you gotta be good. You gotta get great goaltending.  You need a little bit of luck.  You have to have a room full of character people who want to compete.  Everybody talks about wanting to win a championship, but paying the price to do it is a whole different matter.   I think we’ve done a real good job at putting good teams on the ice, but I’ve gotta put even better teams on the ice to win a cup.  That’s what it comes down to.

How do you get there?

Well I like what we have in our organization.  We have some young guys coming along.  We’ve got other guys that could fill the roles we need to fill.  I look at Chicago and they just won the cup.  I was amazed at how they did it.  They basically played a speed game.  What I’ve been trying to get closer to — we’ve always been a good sized team — I want even more speed than we’ve had.  Chicago was a team that I didn’t think was a big team. I didn’t think they were a tough team.  In terms of actual speed, they had good speed but they did things quick too.  They executed quick.  We’ve got some people here that have speed — if we put them in different positions — I think they’ll show up even more and help our club even more.  So that’s what we’re trying to get to

On Laich being the second-line center next year. 

I like the second-line right now.  Right now it’s Erat, Laich, and Brouwer.  You’ve got speed. You’ve got some grit.  You’ve got size.  You’ve got experience.  All three guys are real experienced players who play both ends of the rink real well. Can generate some offense and can be good defensively.  I really think Brooks Laich can be a real good center in this league.  He’s a natural center. He played center his whole life til he got to this level.  He’s played some center for us, we put him on the wing for several years, but he played center for us in the playoffs two years ago and I really liked it. He brought speed. He brought size. He was really good in his own end.  Brought some offense.

There are a handful of teams that maybe have a better second-line center than Brooks, but not that many.  He’s got the character to be able to do it.  He’s good on faceoffs, defensively responsible.  It’s something we’ve been talking about for a few years and the time has come to do it.

Are we sure Kuznetsov is going to be over next year and could he be a solution at the center position down the road?

We’re pretty confident he’ll be here next year.  There’s a chance we could see him this season, but he’s under contract now.  Maybe when his season ends in Russia (their season ends a lot earlier) we could see him.  He’s a very talented player. I thought it was a heck of a pick by our group.  He certainly could be a guy that plays second-line center but he can also play the wing. He’s a skill guy that would play in your top six.  You can never have enough of those.  I’ve never had a problem of having too many good players.  Hopefully we’ll see him sooner than later, but it won’t be in the early part of our season.

You seem so calm about it.

I thought he was ready to play in our league a year ago.  When we drafted him and we talked to him and he said, “I think I need two more years of development in Russia and I’d really like to stay two more years.”  I said, “if that’s what you want to do, I understand.”  He might have been ready sooner than that, but if you feel like you need it, that’s okay.

So he did that and he looked like he was ready [to come over] and then he got an offer for two more years to play in his hometown. It was a HUGE sum of money for a kid that young.  He’s 20-years-old, they gave him ten million dollars to play for two more seasons.  It’s a 13% tax rate over there and even with that, most of the money is under the table.  It’s probably no tax.  He’s playing in his hometown. He grew up there. He’s the face of the league over there so I understand how that works.

But he has said and the guy that’s running his team has said he’s coming over when his contract is up.  The player has said, “I wanna play in the NHL and as soon as it’s up, I’m coming.”  And the Director of his team said, “he’s fulfilled his obligations over here and when it’s up, he’s coming. We’re not going to try and sign him again or hold him back.”  So I don’t want to hype the kid too much, then it’s harder when he gets here, but I think he’s a real good player and when he gets here we’ll see what he can do for us.

Is Michael Latta someone who could make the team this year?

Yeah and this is a big year for him and for us.  I think he’s going to play for us at some point. I’d like to see it be this year, but he’s a real tough kid.  I think he was third in the American League in penalty minutes. That’s a tough league and he plays the game hard, honest, and he’s not much fun to play against.  You like having those kinds of guys in your line-up.  He has a few things he needs to work on. Hopefully, he’s worked on them enough that it works and he can play of us this year.

Where do you see Mathieu Perreault fitting in this year?

We expect continued growth from him. He’s getting better year after year like a Johansson gets better. A lot of these young guys are getting better. So they’re all in the mix and it’ll be up to Adam to see where he plays him and so on. They’re still young guys that keep getting better and we feel they can keep getting better. I don’t think players are physically or mentally mature until they’re 27, 28, 29 at least in our sport. So there’s still a ways to go for those players. We’re still a fairly young team.

A couple of things here:

Q: How do we get over the hump George?

A:  We have to make the team better

Q: How do we make the team better?

A:  I like what we have here.

^^^***This is **** slap worthy***

I also take issue with him saying Brooksie is one of the best 2Cs in the NHL.  If he is, why did we trade Cody Eakin and a 2d to get Ribeiro?

And he did a really good job of making Kuzya feel welcome.  What a ****ing idiot.

I bash GMGM now so I'll say that the Alzner deal is pretty good. Only $2.8 million per year.

But I do agree, Hersh... that was a steal for Alzner.  Lot's of open cap space... presumably for Kuzya later in the season?

I think the Cap space is going to be used on Grabo and HOPEFULLY another defenseman. 

Grabovsky and Murray... ?

I would die in place.  They better get it done in time for NHL 2014 to have the roster updates.  Time is running out.

From RMNB:

• The Washington Capitals have a lot of money left to spend and no buyouts weighing them down.

&

il Greenberg

@ngreenberg

Ding #Caps GMGM all you want, but spending a little more than $11mil on two top pair dmen and two goalies is good cap management.

Link

There is a lot of good stuff in that link....

I
blow hot and cold with this caps team.  Sometimes I get really pissed
at our lack of activity during the FA period, and other times (like
after reading the RMNB article), I'm like "OK...maybe we do have some
sort of a plan."

Yeah Olaund is great and that blog is fantastic.

We will need about a mil in case Traktor doesn't make the playoffs and Kuzya comes over in March (however unlikely that may be).

But if we can land Grabovsky and Murray I'll be emphatic. 

Anyone going to Kettler on Saturday for Fan Day? 

Holy crap, Kovalchuk just retired!  

Our division just got a bit easier.  On the other hand, this is not what we want to hear as a team with a Russian superstar and another young Russian player who still hasn't even left the KHL.

Heard Oatsie talking about this today.  He said he had no clue what could've driven him home other than he's from there and has a wife and kids, etc.

Interesting.  But agreed.  Not a fan of a Ruskie "retiring" from the NHL and then signing with a KHL team within 24 hours.

I don't get how he said he's always wanted more speed? I thought after the loss a couple of years ago the team tried to add more grinders.

Not sure he know his ass from his elbows.  I don't like 80% plus of his personnel moves, but I don't like 99% plus of what comes out of his mouth.

That's why I posted the transcript on the previous page, bro... dude talks straight out of his butt.

If the Caps stink it up this year, I don't think Ovechkin is gonna ride it out. He's had enough, and will probably pull a Kovalchuck.

Nor should he ride it out.  If the GM doesn't keep his end of the bargain to give him help then he should leave.  Ovi has carried things long enough and he is still carrying things in 2013.  Enough is enough.  Give the guy some help.

Oh please, Ovi isn't going to retire anytime soon. He wants a Cup and wants to be considered one of the all-time greats. He knows that doesn't happen if he goes back to Russia.

Thank you, Hersh.

Let's not over react like a bunch of drama queens here fellas.

We'll know more about what's up with Ilya's decision soon enough.

Archived