Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Southeast Division Champions Caps Vs. Rangers

ixcuincle

That article is crap. We just signed Neuvy to a 2 year deal. He can't be a compliance buy out. Mike Green is not a UFA. We have 2 UFA, Matt Hendricks and Mike Ribeiro. MoJo is a RFA. Alzner is a RFA.

We have $5.68M in cap space, which would jump to $8.43M if we amnesty Shultz. We need to re-sign Alzner, let MoJo and Hendricks walk, and decide if we want Ribeiro or someone else at 2C.

With the space we have with no amnesty, we can re-sign Alzner easily and have a little left for 2C. With an amnesty we can re-sign Alzner and have about $4.5M left for a 2C.

GMGM is an awful GM. I think everyone on this board agrees.

That does not excuse Ovechkin's issues. He can be a lazy player, especially in the defensive zone. He doesn't go into the tough spots in the offensive zone. His board work is sub-par. For an offensive juggernaut, he lacks the offensive play that keeps the play alive in the zone.

He was once a player that others wanted to come here and play with. As somebody who plays the game, I would be frustrated as hell playing along side of Ovechkin. I hate floaters. I hate players who just follow along looking for their time to shine. If you aren't giving it your all, all the time, I'm upset. That is no way to play hockey. That is no way to win championships.

Ask Pavel Datsyuk, a Russian who plays the game the right way.

Pavel Datsyuk? Why is that guy overrated by so many. He's a great piece for sure, but is he really top tier?

Ovi has been playing since 05-06. He has 371 regular season goals.

Datasyuk, granted a great two way forward, has been playing since the 01-02 season. He has 255 goals. He's nowhere near Ovechkin tier. Considering the era he plays in, I am of the opinion that Ovechkin is the second best goal scorer of all time.

Nobody surpasses the Great One.

Penguins fans can get that Mario **** out of here. There's Gretzky, then everyone else.

Yeah, Datsyuk is a great two way player. He's won a bunch of trophies on that alone. He also has multiple championships. He's made the playoffs numerous times. He plays a position that is incredibly more difficult than wing (IMO, center is the hardest position in the sport). I'll take Datayuk over Backstrom 10 days out of 10. He is the total package.

I don't expect Datayuk to be the prolific goal scorer that Oveckin is. I do expect Ovechkin to have some sort of responsibility when he doesn't have the puck though... And that is not "let me get open to score".

Don't get me wrong though, I love Ovechkin. I think he's great. This team and GMGM own him nothing though. He's had his share of lapses and they are well documented. If he is to be great, he has to live up to it.

Also, there is nobody second to Lemieux. Gretzky is #1, Limeux #2... end of story. Not even close. You can try and fit Hull or Jagr in there somewhere but it just isn't even on that level.

1. Datsyuk plays for the best organization in the NHL.  If Ovechkin was drafted to Detroit, he'd likely have a Cup right now.

2. Ovechkin has won 3 MVPs and 3 Pearson's.  That is in a category with only Gretzky and Lemieux who have done that.

3. Bobby Orr > Mario Lemieux and an argument could be made for Gordie Howe also.  But Orr has a case to be #1 though I disagree and think it's Gretzky.  Jagr is top 15.

21. Andre Burakowsky -- LW – Malmo (Allsvenskan) – 6-1, 176 - PR: 20

Malmo.jpg

Burakowsky certainly has the skill level and speed to be a top-10

pick, but he hasn’t quite put everything together yet. Spending the

majority of the season in the pros with Malmo was a good step for him.

If he can get more assertive on the ice and bulk up a bit, he could be a

steal here.

Position: Left Wing 

Shoots: Left

Height: 6' 1"   

Weight: 176 

Born: February 9, 1995

Born in: Klagenfurt, AUT Drafted:

2013: WSH (1st Round / 23rd Overall) 

•    His father, Robert, was selected 217th overall in 1985 by the Rangers and played 23 games for Ottawa in 1993-94.

I liked Madison Bowey, had him a little lower, though.  I'm okay with the 3rd pick but I think trading half of our draft to move up was stupid.  It's amazing how disrespected McPhee is. 

You can see it plain as day the last several years.  It was also embarrassing how every time we picked a player the draft commentators were basically like, "Yeah, everyone had this kid rated about 10-20 spots lower".  It's embarrassing.

And don't even get me started on the first kid.  4 goals and 11 points in 43 games?  Sounds like Jason Chimera's statline... only it was in the Swedish teir two league.  Get the **** out of here Mcphee.

If he doesn't sign Lecavalier it's going to be another looooong year.  ****...

Are there any defensemen of note in FA? 

And by "defenseman," I mean Goon.

I'm with signing Douglas Murray if we can.  He's not a goon but he can throw down if need be and he's very strong... probably one of the strongest players in the league.  But we'll have Volpatti and Oleksi to throw down if the need arises.  I think Erskine is still a good defensemen and can fight, but I think the last couple of years you've seen him phased out little by little by design.  He's got more head injuries than we'd all like to admit right now, unfortunately.

http://www.monumentalnetwork.com/videos/capitals-report-draft-edition-george-mcphee-press-conference-6-30-13/index.jsp

McPhee's presser from yesterday.  A couple of interesting things:

"Oatesie was the only one who talked to Lecavalier on Saturday" "They have a relationship, so he wanted to talk to be the one to talk to him.  I did not talk to him" --- I think that's big and also very telling on numerous levels

"Right now we haven't identified anyone for compliance buyouts"  Probably still trying to get someone interested in Schultz

"I won't talk about Ribeiro talks"

MCPhee won't buy anyone out. He doesn't want to admit that he made a mistake. He won't be able to trade Schultz either, cause Schultz sucks and all.

I think we'll be stuck with Perrault or Liach at 2C next season.

Imagine this powerhouse second line: Erat, Liach, Fehr.

CHAMPIONSHIP!

Vinny has met with just about everyone:

Calgary

Detroit

Dallas

Philly

Boston

Toronto

Washington

Montreal

Anaheim

Florida

St. Louis

San Jose

http://www.cbssports.com/nhl/blog/eye-on-hockey/22596573/everybody-wants-vincent-lecavalier

We are so ****ed. 

MCPhee won't buy anyone out. He doesn't want to admit that he made a mistake. He won't be able to trade Schultz either, cause Schultz sucks and all.

I think we'll be stuck with Perrault or Liach at 2C next season.

Imagine this powerhouse second line: Erat, Liach, Fehr.

CHAMPIONSHIP!

This just confirms my theory that he has been forcing Schultz down Gabby, Dale, and Oatsie's throats since he brought him up.

I'm so tired of this poo butt mother ****er... it's so easy to see what the problem is.  What the **** Ted?  How is this acceptable?  We're close to 20 years with this **** head and it's not gotten any better.  He got lucky with Ovi and Nicky and that's ****ing it. 

God it's so frustrating.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capitals-insider/wp/2013/07/01/vincent-lecavalier-fits-into-our-puzzle-adam-oates-says/

If you are an optimist, the link above is Oatsie talking about how Vinny "fits our puzzle"

Hope Oates carries some weight with Vinny, but I doubt it.  Who would have thought we wanted a Vinny back in DC?

Glad Schultz is gone.  Cap relief will help.

I thought Pittsburgh wasn't going to be able to re-sign their guys?  So far they've only had to trade one player and have re-signed like 3 or 4.

Hope Oates carries some weight with Vinny, but I doubt it.  Who would have thought we wanted a Vinny back in DC?

Glad Schultz is gone.  Cap relief will help.

I thought Pittsburgh wasn't going to be able to re-sign their guys?  So far they've only had to trade one player and have re-signed like 3 or 4.

That's what happens when you have a good situation and good team.  They like to stay together for the greater good.

Well played, PJ.

I'm not holding out too much hope, but I just pray that he was able to show him the PP and highlights of Brouwer and Kuznetsov.  Hopefully that made him a little more excited to be here.  He would be a huge help and I think he's an upgrade over Ribeiro... both as a player and as a team mate.

That's what happens when you have a good situation and good team.  They like to stay together for the greater good.

I wonder how much truth there was to Lemuix wanting to give Bylsma the axe?  I'm assuming the Letang deal went through then?

Archived