Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2013 Southeast Division Champions Caps Vs. Rangers

ixcuincle

I feel like I'm a junior Cubs fan.  Haven't been able to celebrate a championship for one of my teams in quite a while and I guess it's getting to me.  Redskins- 21 years, Orioles- 30 years, Wizards- 35 years and Capitals- never.  My only celebration was the Terps 2002 basketball and that was 10 years ago.  Sorry if I'm a little "on edge" about silly little awards as I'd love to be going through what Boston has been going through in the last 12 years (3 of 5 SB wins, 1 SC, 1 NBA title in 2 tries and 2 WS wins).  I just don't get excited over Hart trophies anymore.  Congratulations Ovechkin.  Well deserved, but whatever.  Do I feel that I'm entitled to a championship?  Of course not, I'm only a fan.  But my loyalty for almost 40 years with all my teams gives me a pass on being able to not be satisfied with certain things and a right to criticize.  I didn't just start being a fan of these teams 2 years ago. That part I am entitled to do.

Yes, they too put division banners and president's trophy banners in their rafters along side their 11 "Stanley Cup Champs" banners.

So the standard is "it's OK to put up fluff banners if we have a SC Champions banner"? Really? What about the Flyers? The Sabres? Sharks? Rangers? Most teams in the NHL have division and Presidents Trophy banners. Why? Because winning your division, regardless of what anyone thinks of the division, is an accomplishment.

I feel like I'm a junior Cubs fan.  Haven't been able to celebrate a championship for one of my teams in quite a while and I guess it's getting to me.  Redskins- 21 years, Orioles- 30 years, Wizards- 35 years and Capitals- never.  My only celebration was the Terps 2002 basketball and that was 10 years ago.  Sorry if I'm a little "on edge" about silly little awards as I'd love to be going through what Boston has been going through in the last 12 years (3 of 5 SB wins, 1 SC, 1 NBA title in 2 tries and 2 WS wins).  I just don't get excited over Hart trophies anymore.  Congratulations Ovechkin.  Well deserved, but whatever.  Do I feel that I'm entitled to a championship?  Of course not, I'm only a fan.  But my loyalty for almost 40 years with all my teams gives me a pass on being able to not be satisfied with certain things and a right to criticize.  I didn't just start being a fan of these teams 2 years ago. That part I am entitled to do.

Boston was the dregs of sports town in the 80s and 90s. Bruins hadn't won a cup in 30+ years. Patriots had never won a SB. Red Sox hadn't won since 1918. Celts were done after 1986 until 2008. DC is on the rise. The Wiz can make a jump with the right pick at #3. The O's are in the AL East race. The Skins are defending NFC East champs with the face of the league behind center. The Caps are on the rise (I really think that Oates makes this team viable in the new division). It is turning. 

Well, well, let's put that MVP trophy up in the rafters with all the SE Division Champs banners, the President's trophy banners and the Mystics attendance banners.  It will fit right in.

This gets old. Guess we should tell those idiots in Detroit to take down their division champion banners and Presidents Trophy banner. 

Playing DA, they could and their numerous SC banners would look just fine.

I'm not mad at Ovi for winning it as much as I'm just ashamed at how fans are using it to somehow prove superiority over Pit, Ny, etc. I've been seeing it non-stop the last few days and it's ****ing pathetic.

I haven't seen any of this?  None of the blogs I subscribe to and none of my friends or family...

I'm sure most fans know that we stunk it up in the playoffs and we didn't have the depth to compete this year (which makes the Forsberg trade that much worse...).  So just out of curiousity, where did you see this?

The hub of scum and villainy called social media.

I searched through tagged tweets as well as comments on press releases. It was embarrassing, As well as a few on sites such as HF Boards

I'm on HF now, by the way.  Ya'll kept talking about it so I joined a couple of weeks back.  I'm Chester Copperpot. 

But I'd give those idiots as much as attention as the guys who are in here for game 7 talking about what's wrong with the team.  It may be a little embarrassing but every team has it's "those guy" fans, brother.

Yes, they too put division banners and president's trophy banners in their rafters along side their 11 "Stanley Cup Champs" banners.

So the standard is "it's OK to put up fluff banners if we have a SC Champions banner"? Really? What about the Flyers? The Sabres? Sharks? Rangers? Most teams in the NHL have division and Presidents Trophy banners. Why? Because winning your division, regardless of what anyone thinks of the division, is an accomplishment.

>I feel like I'm a junior Cubs fan.  Haven't been able to celebrate a championship for one of my teams in quite a while and I guess it's getting to me.  Redskins- 21 years, Orioles- 30 years, Wizards- 35 years and Capitals- never.  My only celebration was the Terps 2002 basketball and that was 10 years ago.  Sorry if I'm a little "on edge" about silly little awards as I'd love to be going through what Boston has been going through in the last 12 years (3 of 5 SB wins, 1 SC, 1 NBA title in 2 tries and 2 WS wins).  I just don't get excited over Hart trophies anymore.  Congratulations Ovechkin.  Well deserved, but whatever.  Do I feel that I'm entitled to a championship?  Of course not, I'm only a fan.  But my loyalty for almost 40 years with all my teams gives me a pass on being able to not be satisfied with certain things and a right to criticize.  I didn't just start being a fan of these teams 2 years ago. That part I am entitled to do.

Boston was the dregs of sports town in the 80s and 90s. Bruins hadn't won a cup in 30+ years. Patriots had never won a SB. Red Sox hadn't won since 1918. Celts were done after 1986 until 2008. DC is on the rise. The Wiz can make a jump with the right pick at #3. The O's are in the AL East race. The Skins are defending NFC East champs with the face of the league behind center. The Caps are on the rise (I really think that Oates makes this team viable in the new division). It is turning. 

I'm very excited for Oates as well.  If we can SOMEHOW get Kuzya over here next season after Socci and if we have a reliable 2C I think we can make noise.  Two big "if's" as I lose confidence in Ribeiro returning by the day.

Was it you who mentioned we may try and pull Bergeron in RFA?  How would that work in hockey?

Well, well, let's put that MVP trophy up in the rafters with all the SE Division Champs banners, the President's trophy banners and the Mystics attendance banners.  It will fit right in.

At least make it a little more clear who the culprit is, PJ.  :)  I am as frustrated as anyone, but is Ovi to blame or is it the GM for handing him poopoo for team mates?

I disagree that the team is poo poo.  The cast may be mismanaged, but we have some very good players on the roster and Ovie is the captain and should be able to lift his teamates past the 2nd round.  Not saying it's all his fault, but I'm just not excited for another Hart trophy. Been there, done that.

We'll agree to disagree.  Even the best player in the world can't go against 3 men and beat them.  You'd think some of those "very good players" would be able to pick up the slack in one of the two games we laid gooseggs up and Ovi was double and triple teamed wouldn't you?

He didn't play his best, but without him we aren't even talking about the Rangers series.  We're talking about Seth Jones.

I'm very excited for Oates as well.  If we can SOMEHOW get Kuzya over here next season after Socci and if we have a reliable 2C I think we can make noise.  Two big "if's" as I lose confidence in Ribeiro returning by the day.

Was it you who mentioned we may try and pull Bergeron in RFA?  How would that work in hockey?

I think Kuznetsov comes over before the Olympics, if the NHL releases the players to participate. Reason being he could play with Ovie, a likely linemate in the Olympics. It could be wishful thinking. Ovie will be, I think, the driving force behind players participating in the Olympics. 

Well, it appears Boston is trying to lock-up Bergeron before UFA starts in July. So it appears that that option is off the table.  I believe it works just like the NFL, we would submit an offer sheet and force the Bruins to either match it or let him walk to us in exchange for draft picks (an offer over $7.3M/year costs 4 1st rounders, b/w $6.3M and $7.3M costs 2 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd; there is a sliding scale of compensation). I imagine Bergeron would cost ~$4M/year, or a 1st & 3rd round picks.

I think Kuznetsov comes over before the Olympics, if the NHL releases the players to participate. Reason being he could play with Ovie, a likely linemate in the Olympics. It could be wishful thinking. Ovie will be, I think, the driving force behind players participating in the Olympics. 

Well, it appears Boston is trying to lock-up Bergeron before UFA starts in July. So it appears that that option is off the table.  I believe it works just like the NFL, we would submit an offer sheet and force the Bruins to either match it or let him walk to us in exchange for draft picks (an offer over $7.3M/year costs 4 1st rounders, b/w $6.3M and $7.3M costs 2 1st, a 2nd and a 3rd; there is a sliding scale of compensation). I imagine Bergeron would cost ~$4M/year, or a 1st & 3rd round picks.

Thanks for explaining that.  I wouldn't think they'd let him go.  Even though I call him "Patricia"... I will say that dudes who suck don't get nicknames from me. :)

Also, read the Kuz said that this was "his last season in the KHL" earler this month.  I think I posted it somewhere but I'll re-check.  Russian machine did the leg work and then CSN picked it up and did a story.  But since he has one more year on his KHL deal, unless his agent finds a way out of it he's obligated to play there.  I know he's now looked at as a "villan" over there... so as long as he's a Lebron type villian I can dig it.

I think we may be looking at a Roy type this year.  Unfortunately Latta will peak as a 4th liner, lol.  I'd still like Antropov though :)

http://www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com/tag/evgeny-kuznetsov/

Evgeny Kuznetsov recently gave a lengthy interview to the local Chelyabinsk web magazine Slovo (“The Word”) to address some of the many controversies surrounding him. Speaking with Vasily Trounov, Kuznetsov discusses his obligations to appear in promotions, his complicated relationship with his fans, and his tendency to hide from media scrutiny.

Kuznetsov seems to be an intensely private person, but one who doesn’t shy away from speaking his mind when he wants to. He’ll fit in great here.

• 2 weeks later...

CAPITALS SIGN JOEL RECHLICZ TO ONE-YEAR NHL CONTRACT

06/26/2013 - HERSHEY, Pa. – The Hershey Bears announced today that the organization has signed forward Joel Rechlicz to a one-year contract.  The announcement was made by Bears President/GM Doug Yingst.

Rechlicz, 26, returns to Chocolatetown after appearing in 76 games for the Bears from 2010-2013.  He has recorded two goals and one assist, and ranks 44th in Bears history with 404 penalty minutes.

The 6-4, 220-pound native of Brookfield, WI spent a majority of last season with the AHL’s Portland Pirates before coming back to Hershey in exchange for forward Matt Clackson on April 2.

The fan-favorite Rechlicz has played in a total of 162 AHL games with Albany, Bridgeport, Portland and Hershey, posting two goals, two assists and 799 penalty minutes.  Rechlicz also has 26 games of NHL experience to his credit, with the New York Islanders and Washington Capitals.  He made his Capitals debut on January 31, 2012 against the Tampa Bay Lightning.

MORE AT LINK BELOW

http://www.hersheybears.com/news/detail.php?id=4138

Because he won the Vezina? Yeah, seems stupid. Question. Is Briere a free agent now and could someone sign him and not be responsible for his remaining contract? If he is would you want him in DC?

I think Briere is a UFA on 7/1. Philly has to pay him every cent of his contract so no other team is responsible it.

And no, I don't want him in DC

Because he won the Vezina? Yeah, seems stupid. Question. Is Briere a free agent now and could someone sign him and not be responsible for his remaining contract? If he is would you want him in DC?

It's stupid because they are admitting they were/are stupid... if that makes sense, lol.

And no thank you on Briere for me...

Vinny Lecavalier is going to be bought out by the Lightning. 

Two things:

1.  I wish the Caps could make an offer to him...probably not going to happen.

2.  He, along w/ Briere on the market will probably drive Ribeiro's price down a bit. 

Two things:

2.  He, along w/ Briere on the market will probably drive Ribeiro's price down a bit. 

I would take Lecavalier over Ribeiro, personally.

Two things:

I would take Lecavalier over Ribeiro, personally.

In a heartbeat....however, I have a feeling he'll end up in either Toronto or Montreal. 

Meh, don't want either Briere or Lecavalier. They're big time rivals. It'd be like when we got Jagr. Just wouldn't feel right.

Who cares if they're rivals?  I NEVER understood this line of thinking.  If they can help the team, bring them in.  Simple as that.  Jagr was a bust because his heart wasn't in to it.  By all accounts, you're going to be getting good efforts from both Vinny and Briere. 

Archived