Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The Veep Debate

Larry

Which is worse;

The President tries to remain calm and dignified in the face of a guy lying, and he looks glum, disinterested, like he doesn't want to be there, and unprepared.

When the Vice President, essentially, smiles and laughs at his opponents lies and calls him on their bull****, he comes off as crass and rude.

Where's the middle ground?

I don't think there really is one. At least not at this point.

Middle ground would be to be to let your opponent say what he has to say and be respectful to the moderator. However, when your opponent says something that isn't factual or is particularly stupid, you let the body language convey some measure of disgust, derision, or amusement and slam them when your turn comes back around.

And yes, Biden needs a refresher course in good manners.

on behalf of myself and my fellow Delawarean's, let me assure you tbf that most of us aren't smug, pompeous, blowhards. Over the past 4 years i've actually felt that Ol' Joe has toned down his smarminess while in the national spotlight. I can assure you many Delawarean's can paint a much more accurate and less than admirable picture of our present VP (and poor manners would be considered one of his more forgivable attributes).

Whining about a guy being arrogant and rude is highly amusing coming from the party that has basically made being arrogant and rude their staple over the last 4 years. Don't like the taste of their own medicine.

Yeah, I have to laugh at this. It's like a bully who goes around picking on kids till one stands up and punches him in the face then starts crying.

Yes, intelligent voters are often swayed by the type of bull**** that was coming out of Ryan's mouth tonight . . . :ols:

No...there are actually a lot of people out there who are not impressed with over the top bullying/patronizing antics. His antics were so ridiculous, I suspect they will turn many people off to even listening to the content of what he's saying.

My roommate and I were watching the debate (she's undecided/I'm not), and she left the TV and went upstairs and read a book. Biden's antics (particularly in the beginning) pissed her off so much, she couldn't handle watching any more of the debate. We were both disgusted, but she completely tuned out.

I feel like I'm a little out of sync on this one...but while i didn't see the first 20 minutes, and didn't like some of the immediate Biden face-making stuff, i just thought he was aggressive and appropriately/deservedly and strategically smart so in degree...and in terms of advancing views from a seeming position of "having the facts & grasp", i thought he won clearly...

The first 20 minutes were the worst, as far as Biden's antics. I agree that Biden's handlers clearly said he needed to go out and be uber-agressive in this debate. And I would have agreed with that strategy. However, his aggressiveness was overbearing and made him look like a complete jerk and I think it will either backfire on him and/or somewhat nullify the full extent of gains he could have made had he been aggressive without the ******* overtone. I'll agree though, Biden was able to convey his foreign policy experience/knowledge better than Ryan.

Not to mention that the Republicans went crazy about how "tough and aggressive" Romney was. Now Joe Biden comes out tough and aggressive, and he's rude.

Funny how that works.

If you can't discern the difference between being tough and aggressive while being respectful and being a tough and aggressive *******, that's on you...

Things that are wrong with America: People want a VP candidate that's polite, not the guy with more substance in his arguments. Just stop.

No, I'd actually like both. I'd prefer if all of our elected officials, and our people, didn't feel the need to interrupt and make passive aggressive remarks at every opportunity.

I

If you can't discern the difference between being tough and aggressive while being respectful and being a tough and aggressive *******, that's on you...

I love how little facts/substance matters to some people. Romney was tough and aggressive despite lying all night and it was great. Biden was tough and aggressive while correcting the record and he was a HUGE jerk for smiling. Mean old Joe Biden. It's all about the style when you can't win on facts.

And Mitt's constant interrupting of Jim Lehrer and frequently going well beyond his planned time wasn't being an *******?

It was exactly that process that soundly "won" Mitt Romney the last debate. He was tough and aggressive and respectful; he was a jerk for most of the debate.

I just think it's interesting that Romney certainly wasn't "polite and respectful" last week, but what was a positive for Romney is a negative for Biden.

No, I'd actually like both. I'd prefer if all of our elected officials, and our people, didn't feel the need to interrupt and make passive aggressive remarks at every opportunity.

I

I'd rather have the douchebag who clearly knows what he's talking about than the polite but clueless midwesterner who can only tell anecdotal stories and can't provide any details.

Biden is calling out Ryan on his bs. Our conservative friends on this board interpret that as being rude, which isn't true. I think you can ignore the opinions of say, IHOPskins

Claiming to be "calling someone out on their bs", is no excuse for, nor does it give Biden the right to, infringe on the other candidates designated, deserved, and allotted time to speak, without being interrupted every 2 seconds. If you want to "call someone out", wait your turn. They have rules and format at a debate for a reason. So listeners can actually HEAR what each candidate is attempting to say.

I

I'd rather have the douchebag who clearly knows what he's talking about than the polite but clueless midwesterner who can only tell anecdotal stories and can't provide any details.

EDIT: Now, would I have preferred Biden to be more polite? Sure, but he dominated...plain and simple.

Claiming to be "calling someone out on their bs", is no excuse for, nor does it give Biden the right to, infringe on the other candidates designated, deserved, and allotted time to speak, without being interrupted every 2 seconds. If you want to "call someone out", wait your turn. They have rules and format at a debate for a reason. So listeners can actually HEAR what each candidate is attempting to say.

Quoted for irony yet again.

Again; did Mitt Romney not do this very thing last week?

Who cares? Biden played fair

You all are acting like he was like the Rams out there with all his cheap shots

He played fair, but let's be honest. He bullied Ryan into submission. He dominated Ryan in foreign policy. Period. There is no way you can attempt to spin that into a "draw"!

Biden was a jerk but constantly reiterating that is only deflecting the fact that he basically made the entire Romney/Ryan platform look like a complete joke to a national audience.

Obama has to build on this, otherwise it was a failed effort by Biden. Romney got away with a whole bunch of lying the first time around and Ryan paid the price tonight.

You can't go infront of a national audience and say bold faced lies (while flip flopping on things you have said in the past) and not expect to be brutally rebutted eventually.

Archived