Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Alfred Morris - dropping the ball before crossing the plane

dwills1

When the play happened on Sun, I don't recall thinking that he dropped the ball prior to crossing the goal line....didn't even think it was close. And....replays concentrated on the blocking and the run vice what happened at the goal line. On the other hand I recall watching Jackson drop the ball prior to crossing the goal line a couple of seasons ago.....and it did appear that he dropped the ball early.

The advice is sound, though, about making sure not to drop the ball prior to crossing the goal line.....maybe the coaches will put a reminder in his ear this week so something dumb doesn't happen in the future.

i don't know why people are posting things like this.

Because he scored a TD. It looked like a TD. The ref standing right there called it a TD. There was no replay because there was no reason to think it wasn't a TD.

Given that, I think it's highly relevant to point out that it was, in fact, a TD.

The ball was CLEARLY a yard deep in the end zone. This hand wringing has to stop. The officials have reviewed and overturned calls like this regularly. If they didn't pause to review it, it was obviously not even close. If there is even a question, they review it.

I caught that during the game...was glad it didn't get reviewed...

I caught it during the game too and was saying kick it kick it kick it kick it all nervous waiting for the refs to run in blowing the whistle and waving their hands. I think it would have upheld but it was way too close.

The ball was CLEARLY a yard deep in the end zone. This hand wringing has to stop. The officials have reviewed and overturned calls like this regularly. If they didn't pause to review it, it was obviously not even close. If there is even a question, they review it.

The point is he shouldn't be doing it at all. He really cant take a few more steps into the endzone before throwing the ball away? Seriously, its too close for comfort I dont care if the ref called it or had reason to question it or not. Whats the big deal, it is a chance for coach to correct him on something and remove the CHANCE that maybe he lets go a little early one game. What is the harm in that?

Not sure where you learned football, but where the ball is is the only thing that matters. Once the nose of the ball reaches the GL, TD. Matters not where your ankles, knees, wrists, head, ass is, the ball is all that matters. That is why the RB/WR/QBs all dive out of bounds but reach the ball inside the pylon.

Not true. It is just that it is easier while running to put the ball forward and not your feet. As I said, it is an odd rule. If a player dove, was hit and spun around, feet landing a foot in the endzone and the ball around the 1 yard line, it would be a TD. It is very rare to see this, but that is the rule.

---------- Post added October-2nd-2012 at 04:02 PM ----------

Not true. It is just that it is easier while running to put the ball forward and not your feet. As I said, it is an odd rule. If a player dove, was hit and spun around, feet landing a foot in the endzone and the ball around the 1 yard line, it would be a TD. It is very rare to see this, but that is the rule.

I am replying to my own quote. I have tried to verify this, but can't find it in NFL rules, only in wiki type sites. Anyway, one explanation was that if you caught the ball, feet in endzone, hands out toward the field of play and with feet firmly on the ground, you fall out of the side of the endzone, ball never crossing over goal line on field of play, it would be a score.

I think it was last year in a Steelers game where player reach out of the endzone and caught a ball, feet in the endzone and was quickly hit and knocked backward. It was ruled a TD. Anyway, I want to back away from being so sure about this rule.

---------- Post added October-2nd-2012 at 04:02 PM ----------

I am replying to my own quote. I have tried to verify this, but can't find it in NFL rules, only in wiki type sites. Anyway, one explanation was that if you caught the ball, feet in endzone, hands out toward the field of play and with feet firmly on the ground, you fall out of the side of the endzone, ball never crossing over goal line on field of play, it would be a score.

I think it was last year in a Steelers game where player reach out of the endzone and caught a ball, feet in the endzone and was quickly hit and knocked backward. It was ruled a TD. Anyway, I want to back away from being so sure about this rule.

Dude, the ball has to be in the end zone for ANY touchdown to be scored. Receiving, rushing, kick/punt returning, interception return, fumble return, whatever. The ball MUST touch the goal line.

---------- Post added October-2nd-2012 at 09:05 PM ----------

I would say the ball was not clearly in the endzone, if fans were concerned. Slow motion replay, sure maybe it was clear.

Players shouldn't cut it that close, there should be no doubt among fans especially on uncontested touchdown runs.

Watch a field level replay. The ball was so far in the end zone you could see green between the ball and the goal line. It was not even close. If a ball length is close, it STILL wasn't close.

Dude, the ball has to be in the end zone for ANY touchdown to be scored. Receiving, rushing, kick/punt returning, interception return, fumble return, whatever. The ball MUST touch the goal line.

This is basically right, but the way you word it about the ball having to be in the end zone is a little confusing, part of the ball has to cross the goal line (or break the plane of the goal line).

I think there is a little bit of confusion from IlikeBilly here because of the way receiving touchdowns work. If you catch the ball on the sideline or the back of the end zone with the ball out of bounds, you have to get two feet in bounds, the same as a sideline catch. On these type of plays the part about breaking the plane is irrelevant because they are well past the goal line.

However, when the play is at the goal line, the ball actually has to touch or cross the goal line.

As to the OP, hopefully the coaches tell Morris to be more careful about this in the future.

Man, this thread is running about a 9 on the tard meter.

Someone posted the actual replay. Watch it. He's two yards deep when he let's the ball go. End dumb thread. :)

Yeah I'm not sure why people are debating whether or not this was a touchdown, as it clearly was.

However, I think the OP is simply suggesting that Morris be a bit more careful and make 100% sure he is across the line before he lets go of the ball. It is a good thing to coach rookies on, as it could lead to a costly mistake at some point.

Yeah I'm not sure why people are debating whether or not this was a touchdown, as it clearly was.

However, I think the OP is simply suggesting that Morris be a bit more careful and make 100% sure he is across the line before he lets go of the ball. It is a good thing to coach rookies on, as it could lead to a costly mistake at some point.

I understand the premise of the OP. The handwringing that followed is waaaayyyy over the top. Some people act like he should be fined or running the steps at Fedex all week.

Al Mo is not a prima donna (See Mazda). I am much more impressed with how he has held on to the ball for his first four games. At the 4 week mark, Al Mo is arguably the biggest steal of the NFL draft this year, and yet the criticisms in this thread are almost attacking his intelligence. Sad.

Shanny grabbed us a stud. He and RG3 can be a formidable duo for the forseeable future. Let's enjoy that. Alfred had a huge game on Sunday in a big win, and somebody wants to nitpick the way he crosses the goal line? I stand corrected...after further review, this thread is a 10 on the tard meter. :)

I must admit, very conclusive shot. How dare he.

Very conclusive? oh my. I hope you were a replacement guy and not a regular. That is a terrible angle and a screen shot from TV. There is no way to tell where the ball is in relation to the GL. I do agree that he should not be so quick to drop the ball though. Sarcasm meter repair service needed.

I wonder what the replacement refs think?

From Saturday Night Live with this report.....

This is basically right, but the way you word it about the ball having to be in the end zone is a little confusing, part of the ball has to cross the goal line (or break the plane of the goal line).

I think there is a little bit of confusion from IlikeBilly here because of the way receiving touchdowns work. If you catch the ball on the sideline or the back of the end zone with the ball out of bounds, you have to get two feet in bounds, the same as a sideline catch. On these type of plays the part about breaking the plane is irrelevant because they are well past the goal line.

However, when the play is at the goal line, the ball actually has to touch or cross the goal line.

As to the OP, hopefully the coaches tell Morris to be more careful about this in the future.

I hear ya, but IkeBilly stated
that is why I mention goal line.

out of the gate i thought this thread was petty ... but the fact that it is even a little debatable is not good.

not really debatable...i was sitting on the 10 yard line and he definitely crossed before he dropped the ball. this is just a bad angle.

Archived