Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan's decision to go for it on 4th and 16

hunterx

You know what else it does... it makes those 50 yard in-game field goals seem a lot easier for Cundiff.

4th and 16 might as well have been a mile. You have a rookie quarterback... heck. This was a decision that will help out in building the team. Not a whole lot to get pissed off about. We were never going to win all of the games. Let this young team grow a little bit, fellas.

It's not as challenging as people make it seem. I've seen teams convert these all the time. Hell the Redskins always give up 3rd and 4th and forevers. Eli has win two superbowls doing it.

Personally I think coach was just protecting RG3 mentally and physically. He didn't want RG3 to feel responsible for a loss by having that last play, even though it was clearly RG3 that had us in position to tie it in the first place. I think it was a bad call by Shanahan, I knew it was a loss as soon as special teams took the field. I think Shanahan knew it too. Oh well, thanks for RG3 Rams, I guess here's our gift to you guys.

i think it's fairly self-evident that cundiff's chances of making a 62 yarder are basically zero (and this was knowable before he attempted the kick), and RG3's chances of making 4th and 16 are, well, somewhat unknown, which is by definition better than zero. it was a bad decision, but merely one of many in this loss.

Personally I think coach was just protecting RG3 mentally and physically. He didn't want RG3 to feel responsible for a loss by having that last play, even though it was clearly RG3 that had us in position to tie it in the first place. I think it was a bad call by Shanahan, I knew it was a loss as soon as special teams took the field. I think Shanahan knew it too. Oh well, thanks for RG3 Rams, I guess here's our gift to you guys.

he's a professional and he's the qb so no, I doubt he was trying to protect him. come on man...

he's a professional and he's the qb so no, I doubt he was trying to protect him. come on man...

Explain why he'd go for a field goal that was practically an impossibility then. Protecting a rookie qb seems like a reasonable opinion. Unless you actually think Cundiff had a shot at a 62 yarder, or at least believe Shanahan thought he could make it. I think Shanahan knew it was a loss, just as almost everyone else knew it too.

You guys seem to think that converting a 4th and 16 while the D is in prevent is easy. They would have dropped their linebackers 16 yards and RGIII would have had no shot of running for it and throwing it would have been unlikely too.

They wouldn't just drop them back to the 16 yardline. They would probably rush 4 (maybe they get gutsy and blitz another), they will try to jam a receiver or two to disrupt timing while umbrellaing the secondary around the first down marker. I think people are just claiming that more can go wrong with the defense if we go for it and either make a play or catch a break from a penalty, rather than kick a field goal with a kicker who doesn't have the leg for a 60+ yarder.

4th and 16 might as well have been a mile. You have a rookie quarterback... heck. This was a decision that will help out in building the team. Not a whole lot to get pissed off about. We were never going to win all of the games. Let this young team grow a little bit, fellas.

They can't grow if they aren't given an opportunity. That moment would have been opportunistic to let them grow. If they didn't convert, at least they tried. If they convert, they prove to themselves they can do it. If not given the opportunity, they have no idea, and worse yet, they don't think the coaches are confident in them.

---------- Post added September-17th-2012 at 01:19 PM ----------

i think it's fairly self-evident that cundiff's chances of making a 62 yarder are basically zero (and this was knowable before he attempted the kick), and RG3's chances of making 4th and 16 are, well, somewhat unknown, which is by definition better than zero. it was a bad decision, but merely one of many in this loss.

Yeah I like the unkown more than knowing there's a 0.01% chance of a field goal make by Cundiff at that distance. The unkown is exactly why people root for the backup QB. It's why some of us were anxious to see John Beck instead of Grossman, why we were excstatic when Robert Griffin III was named the starter over Grossman. It could be why Cousins is an intriguing backup on gameday instead of an inactive Grossman.

We just wanted to see what would have happened with that 4th and 16. Can someone simulate it in Madden?

Exactly. Cundiff was let go because of his inability to kick 50+ yd fg's.

Cundiff was let go because of salary. They replaced him with a rookie who costs next to nothing.

I really hated hearing Santana Moss basically backing up Josh Morgan's actions on the field.

I'll be glad when him and his attitude are gone from the team.

Really? I'm glad our players have each others backs no matter the mistake. Shows that he's a good teamate. London Fletcher took responsibility for it too, will you be glad when him and his attitude are gone also? Geez, some of these reactions.

Explain why he'd go for a field goal that was practically an impossibility then. Protecting a rookie qb seems like a reasonable opinion. Unless you actually think Cundiff had a shot at a 62 yarder, or at least believe Shanahan thought he could make it. I think Shanahan knew it was a loss, just as almost everyone else knew it too.

Why should any football player/ grown ass man need to be protected so his feelings wouldn't be hurt? He is a mature athlete...he wasn't going to cry or lose confidence.

He knew both were unlikely so he chose between two gambles and kicked the fg. This really isn't that big a deal

Don't know why this is such a big deal. We are ****** either way so he tried a FG.

You guys seem to think that converting a 4th and 16 while the D is in prevent is easy. They would have dropped their linebackers 16 yards and RGIII would have had no shot of running for it and throwing it would have been unlikely too.

We were ****** either way. end of story.

---------- Post added September-17th-2012 at 12:35 PM ----------

yeah...are you confident Gano would have went 4 for 4 last week at NO??

No, but I am not confident of Cundiff, either. He missed a chip shot in the playoffs that would have tied it up for the Ravens.

I'm positive that Cundiff isn't going to make anything beyond 52 unless there is a serious wind at his back.

Cundiff was let go because of salary. They replaced him with a rookie who costs next to nothing.

Sure Cundiff's salary was higher. But he was know for not being able to kick 50+ & his miss in playoffs didn't help either. With that being said I would rather have Cundiff over Gano anyday. We shouldn't be relying on 50+ yard FG's anyway. And he shouldn't have been trying to kick a 62 yarder to boot. HTTR BTW I agree with you on the comment from Santana. He's sticking up for Morgan. That's ok in my book. Hope Shanny fines Morgan or something for the bonehead move.

While I could see that happening i really hope that's not the case. That's loser mentality show confidence in your superman QB and let him try to win the game. If he fails the excuse is an easy one, it's his second game. Let him learn. I can't speak for Robert, but everything about his character says he would want the ball fully believing he would pick up the first. Really it stinks because what you said is really the only logical reason i can think of for kicking a 62 yarder. If both plays are deemed needing a miracle to convert, how in the world do you choose Cundiff over Robert to try and pull it off. I don't think Robert would have folded and ruined his career if we failed on 4th and 16 but I'm not a coach so who knows. As it is I'm ready to move on. The refs didnt cost us a game but that is far from how most NFL games will play out so it's in the rear view for me.

Really? I'm glad our players have each others backs no matter the mistake. Shows that he's a good teamate. London Fletcher took responsibility for it too, will you be glad when him and his attitude are gone also? Geez, some of these reactions.

Did you hear Santana Moss' reasoning and validation of Morgan's actions?

He basically said that that guy made Morgan look like a punk, and you don't want to look like a punk on the field so you have to do what you have to do in order to not get punked, and that it was okay what he did.

If you think that is a legit excuse and makes his actions OK, then we will just have to agree to disagree.

And what I said has nothing to do with Fletcher - he lets his actions on the field speak volumes, whereas Moss has been in a decline forever. He is the last of the diva players from the Cerato era that I'm ready to move on from.

everyone knew cundiff wouldnt make the kick. ill take my chances with rg3 improvising and finding a way to get the 1st down. between that choice and the icing the kicker, i think shanahan proved that he's not the smartest coach in the nfl. it always comes down to coaching, whether it be defense, special teams, or offense. shanahan is responsible. its his fault for not lighting a fire under haslett and danny smith's asses.

Shanahan choosing to kick the ball in order to protect Griffin only makes sense if RGIII was struggling during the game. but he wasn't. He was single handedly keeping us competitive and was keeping drives alive with his legs all day.

The decision to take the ball out of your best players hands and give it to a special teams unit that consists of a brand new long snapper, a kicker known for struggling with long kicks, and a group of linemen yhat have given up two blocked punts in two games is baffling to me. There is no universe where this decision gave you a better chance to win.

Frankly i was amazed the ball got as far as Cundiff's foot before something went wrong.

If you were Coach...would you rather have the results of a missed field goal fall on a veteran kicker,Cunduff..... or a missed 16 yard pass fall on your rookie QB sholders?

The odds are greater IMO that the rookie QB finds one of the several ways to convert than Cundiff makes that kick.

---------- Post added September-17th-2012 at 04:08 PM ----------

Shanahan choosing to kick the ball in order to protect Griffin only makes sense if RGIII was struggling during the game. but he wasn't. He was single handedly keeping us competitive and was keeping drives alive with his legs all day.

The decision to take the ball out of your best players hands and give it to a special teams unit that consists of a brand new long snapper, a kicker known for struggling with long kicks, and a group of linemen yhat have given up two blocked punts in two games is baffling to me. There is no universe where this decision gave you a better chance to win.

Frankly i was amazed the ball even got as far as Cundiff's foot before something went wrong.

Protect him from what? Protect him from winning?

Protect him from what? Protect him from winning?
Yes, you see there was just too much hype on this team after RG3's amazing debut in Week 1. If we made a do-or-die 4th down conversion and drove down the field to win in the closing seconds, it would have brought too much media attention to our rookie quarterback.

So coach did the right thing by protecting Robert from winning the game. Stay medium.

:paranoid:

Archived