Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Shanahan's decision to go for it on 4th and 16

hunterx

Absolutely horrible decision to try the kick. 62 yards!?! Everybody that looked at Cundiff's stats when he was brought in knew it was impossible. He's rock-solid inside 50 yards but 50+ is a toss-up at best for him. 62 is a joke.

People on here suggesting that he is trying to protect RGIII from the pressure of that situation should be very concerned if that is the case. That's what he was brought in to do, to make those plays. Watching him the past 2 games and through the pre-season gave me no reason to think the didn't have a chance at picking up a 4th and 16. It is certainly a low percentage play, but much greater odds than a 62 yard FG.

I can't think of a worse play call since Zorn's Swinging Gate. Anybody remember anything worse during Shanahan's tenure?

He supposedly had the leg, but the kick wasn't just wide, it was short too. So then maybe he doesn't have the leg. Kicking off a tee with a run up is totally different than kicking a field goal with pressure.

cundiff does NOT have a monster leg! i don't know why people think he does. his entire "thing" is he doesn't make long kicks. he can make a huge percentage of touchbacks, but if you watch, he line-drives the kickoffs. can't do that on field goals.

it is of course an easier call in hindsight, and pointless to even try, but handing the ball to griffin on 4th and 16 would have been a better bet than asking cundiff to make a 62 yarder. it would have been nice if the coaches could have realized that.

Absolutely horrible decision to try the kick. 62 yards!?! Everybody that looked at Cundiff's stats when he was brought in knew it was impossible. He's rock-solid inside 50 yards but 50+ is a toss-up at best for him. 62 is a joke.

People on here suggesting that he is trying to protect RGIII from the pressure of that situation should be very concerned if that is the case. That's what he was brought in to do, to make those plays. Watching him the past 2 games and through the pre-season gave me no reason to think the didn't have a chance at picking up a 4th and 16. It is certainly a low percentage play, but much greater odds than a 62 yard FG.

I can't think of a worse play call since Zorn's Swinging Gate. Anybody remember anything worse during Shanahan's tenure?

I don't know if I'd go swinging gate bad, but i did not agree with it. But, I do agree that the "protecting RG3" thing is ridiculous. If the coaches thought they needed to "protect" RG3 from that situation, they would have never traded a boat load of draft picks to get him, I think Shanahan legitimately believed that Cundiff could make that. But, like I argued earlier and like Shanahan stated post game, plenty of other reasons we lost that game. Dropped pass from Robinson, Morgan's penalty, the blocked punt, Haslett continuing to play zone coverage though Bradford was picking it apart, etc.

---------- Post added September-17th-2012 at 10:41 AM ----------

cundiff does NOT have a monster leg! i don't know why people think he does. his entire "thing" is he doesn't make long kicks. he can make a huge percentage of touchbacks, but if you watch, he line-drives the kickoffs. can't do that on field goals.

it is of course an easier call in hindsight, and pointless to even try, but handing the ball to griffin on 4th and 16 would have been a better bet than asking cundiff to make a 62 yarder. it would have been nice if the coaches could have realized that.

i agree... Griffin's ability to extend plays and run the footbal.... would not have been an ordinary 4th and 16, thats for sure.

I agree that you have to go for it there, but I'm not mad at the FG attempt. Converting a 4th and 16 in that situation one have been just as crazy and hitting that FG. RG3 is awesome, but the Rams played him well yesterday. There are so many other things to be mad at in that game that put us in a position to need that crazy FG attempt...the actual call for the FG is on the bottom of my list.

I think that with Cundiff, if it's longer than 55 yards, you have to go for it with Griffin. Gano had the leg to make a 62 yarder, but not the accuracy. Cundiff has the accuracy, but not the leg.

Either way, judgement call by the coach on a low % chance to get the game back. There will always be a what-if, but we were in so deep at that point I can't really blame him. If it was 4th and 1, then yeah, but on 4th and 16 I don't really blame the coaching too much, even if we knew it was a 1-in-a-million shot with Cundiff.

I don't know what the relative odds are of making a 62 yard field goal versus converting 4th and 16 - but I do know your chances are slim of doing either.

I was a bit surprised we went for the FG, personally I would have left the offense out there and taken a shot at the 4th and 16 but we were pretty screwed either way. Whatever that call did not cost us the game there were a handful of dumb mental mistakes, some poor blocking on special teams and a terrible defensive game plan I would look at before I got bent out of shape over the choice of a 62 yard FG or going for it on 4th and 16,

Protect RGIII from what? The loss would've been on Morgan's shoulders regardless in the eyes of the media. He ran for 2 TDs and passed for a 68 yard bomb. As far as being worried about him getting hurt physically, just shotgun and screen it and hope to God laterals work.

---------- Post added September-17th-2012 at 09:16 AM ----------

Shouldn't have mattered. There should have been a 10 second runoff for the hold and the half should've been over.

I can't believe the refs missed that call. The 10 second runoff for holding at the end of a game/half is not a new rule. Even if 1 ref missed it you would think they would huddled up and sorted that out. That FG should have never even been attempted.

As for Shanny's attempt to kick the 62 yarder, I agree with the other posters who said it was the wrong decision to make. I also think Shanny should have gone for it on 4th and 7 from the Rams 39/40 on the previous drive instead of punting.

I felt that it showed our coaches didn't really understand what they had in Cundiff. If Gano were still on the team perhaps there would have been a chance, not a good chance but there would have been hope. When Cundiff trotted out it became obvious that the game was over. Over 60 yards and in a clutch situation... when they showed Cundiff's face it was clear he knew that he had no business being out on the field in that situation.

I felt that it showed our coaches didn't really understand what they had in Cundiff. If Gano were still on the team perhaps there would have been a chance, not a good chance but there would have been hope. When Cundiff trotted out it became obvious that the game was over. Over 60 yards and in a clutch situation... when they showed Cundiff's face it was clear he knew that he had no business being out on the field in that situation.

That is the scary thought. Who signed off on bringing Cundiff into to make that kick? Does Smith not know what his kicker's leg has? Does Mike not know Smith is clueless or does he not know Cundiff's skill set either? Who is driving this train here?

It was a bone headed move to try to kick the longest FG in history. When you talk about trying to create offensive mismatches you are talking about increasing the probability for success. There's no way that the FG attempt had a greater probability for success than a 16 yard pass attempt. Both low but RGIII has completed longer.

Exactly. Cundiff was let go because of his inability to kick 50+ yd fg's. Josh Morgan's bonehead retaliation cost us a shot at this game. Everyone wants to say we sucked everywhere else and don't blame Josh, but bad defense and dropped balls do not over shadow him losing his composure in the heat of battle. Even with all of the bad play we had, the bad ref's helping the Rams, we still had a chance to tie the game and with RG3 coming out in OT could have walked away from a very badly played defensive game with a win. Instead it's a loss. We could have still learned a lot from film watching this week, but with a win. I blame Josh Morgan for costing us a shot. Defense sucked yesterday, but game was still winable. #HTTR

Gano possibly could have made that kick. but he was very inconsistent from inside the 40. too many misses. Cundiff is actually very consistent from inside the 50 and just not so good past the 50. Since most FG's are inside the 50 I would rather have him. Josh Morgan also made it a 62 yarder. Should have been a 47 if we didn't go for it. Cundiff makes it if it's 47. He also made a couple of 50 yarders in preseason. 51 & 52 if I'm not mistaken. Cundiff is an upgrade over Gano.

Exactly. Cundiff was let go because of his inability to kick 50+ yd fg's. Josh Morgan's bonehead retaliation cost us a shot at this game. Everyone wants to say we sucked everywhere else and don't blame Josh, but bad defense and dropped balls do not over shadow him losing his composure in the heat of battle. Even with all of the bad play we had, the bad ref's helping the Rams, we still had a chance to tie the game and with RG3 coming out in OT could have walked away from a very badly played defensive game with a win. Instead it's a loss. We could have still learned a lot from film watching this week, but with a win. I blame Josh Morgan for costing us a shot. Defense sucked yesterday, but game was still winable. #HTTR

Amazing how we never adjusted to Danny Amendonga. He scorched our linebackers... was Nickel or Dime an option? Especially with Orakpo out...

I haven't heard one reference from the announcers, radio hosts, media at the game, that Cundiff was kicking 60+ yarders pregame. During a kickers pregame warmup they should get an idea of what he's capable of doing that day. Have any of you seen any bloggers talking about it?

Amazing how we never adjusted to Danny Amendonga. He scorched our linebackers... was Nickel or Dime an option? Especially with Orakpo out...

I was screaming and tweeting the whole game to double cover Amendola. We let him run free the whole time. Mistakes all the way around on D that's for sure.

No, he doesnot have the leg to boot it that far. he barely has the leg to kick it 50 yards, much less 62.

His numbers over his career bear this out.. there is no way anyone should have looked at Cundiff in that situation.

I place the ultimate blame on shanahan, but I guarantee he asked his idiot special teams coach if he thought he could do it, and based on nothing but the moronic decisions Smith makes every week, I'd bet my last buck that he said "Yup, he can kick it'.

And as expected it was five yards short. (and to the right... but that part isn't even important.. point is, anyone with any info about Cundiff knows he hasn't got that kind of power. He's never demonstrated it in his career. And he kicked it as far as he could, and it fell five yards short. As expected.)

So, the question remains,, did Smith even bother to scout this guy he hired a week before the season begins,,, while cutting a guy who DOES have the leg to make this kick?

I"m not saying Gano= win, but I'm not seeing a single reason why the move to Cundiff was made that Gano couldn't have done.

and I'm not even saying "Gano" anything,,, it's just another in a long line of inexplicable decisions made by our special teams coach.

the guy literally has no idea what he's doing.

~Bang

I pretty much agree with everything you've said here. Smith seems to think he has Steve Cox back on the team, and I'm not even sure Cox could have hit that one.

No idea why they think Cundiff is an upgrade over Gano. Take away the directional kicking crap and Gano kicks them through the endzone as well.

Don't know why this is such a big deal. We are ****** either way so he tried a FG.

You guys seem to think that converting a 4th and 16 while the D is in prevent is easy. They would have dropped their linebackers 16 yards and RGIII would have had no shot of running for it and throwing it would have been unlikely too.

We were ****** either way. end of story.

---------- Post added September-17th-2012 at 12:35 PM ----------

I pretty much agree with everything you've said here. Smith seems to think he has Steve Cox back on the team, and I'm not even sure Cox could have hit that one.

No idea why they think Cundiff is an upgrade over Gano. Take away the directional kicking crap and Gano kicks them through the endzone as well.

yeah...are you confident Gano would have went 4 for 4 last week at NO??

Field goal was the wrong call for a few reasons.

1- it was well outside Cundiff's range

2- letting up FG blocks is the unfortunate recent history of the team

3- it was only a chance to tie, giving the Rams the ball back with a minute left. The Rams, the way Bradford was playing, would certainly have had a very good chance at marching right back for their own FG attempt

However, hindsight is 20/20 (even if I was hoping he'd go for it at the time as well), and Shanny only had a few seconds to decide

This is what I originally thought but I forgot the Rams called time out and gave them a chance to think it over. It's one thing to send the teams on and with no time outs not have time to get them back off. It's another to have a time out called and change the call. I think we are all better off just leaving this game behind and chalking it up to a young team losing and learning from their mistakes. Internally I hope some kind of coaching audit happens because Smith and Haslett should at least have to explain their game plans and why they continue to think losing tactics will somehow magically work.

There is a time to ice the kicker and the first half isn't it. There is a time to ask Cundiff to kick a 62 yard FG as long as the wind is at his back. That icing TO will bother Shanahan all week. We lost by 3 points. Yes the D was bad and Morgan screwed up but we would've seen OT without the TO. If the game were tied RG III would've been allowed to chunk it to the end zone. That icing TO is arguably the biggest mistake of the game.

Don't know why this is such a big deal. We are ****** either way so he tried a FG.

You guys seem to think that converting a 4th and 16 while the D is in prevent is easy. They would have dropped their linebackers 16 yards and RGIII would have had no shot of running for it and throwing it would have been unlikely too.

We were ****** either way. end of story.

---------- Post added September-17th-2012 at 12:35 PM ----------

yeah...are you confident Gano would have went 4 for 4 last week at NO??

It's not as challenging as people make it seem. I've seen teams convert these all the time. Hell the Redskins always give up 3rd and 4th and forevers. Eli has win two superbowls doing it.

There is a time to ice the kicker and the first half isn't it. There is a time to ask Cundiff to kick a 62 yard FG as long as the wind is at his back. That icing TO will bother Shanahan all week. We lost by 3 points. Yes the D was bad and Morgan screwed up but we would've seen OT without the TO. If the game were tied RG III would've been allowed to chunk it to the end zone. That icing TO is arguably the biggest mistake of the game.

yep and not that many people are talking about it. i think that's the play that cost us the game (more so than Morgan)

Archived