• Under 30 - Debora Nascimento
    • Under 30 - Bar Rafaeli
    • Network TV - Stana Katic
    • Network TV - Blake Lively
    • Olympic Athlete - Zsuzsanna Jakabos
    • Olympic Athlete - Daniela Hutchenova
    • Classic - Morgan Fairchild
    • Classic - Catherine Bach

Three-and-a-half year old Hunter Spanjer, who is deaf, signs his name by crossing his forefinger and index finger and moving his hand up and down.

To his family, friends and those who know the Signing Exact English (S.E.E.) language that the Grand Island, Neb., boy uses, that gesture uniquely means "Hunter Spanjer."

But to Hunter's school district, it might mean something else. The district claims that it violates a rule that forbids anything in the school that looks like a weapon, reports KOLN-TV.

And Hunter's parents claim that Grand Island Pubic Schools administrators have asked them to change their son's sign language name.

"Anybody that I have talked to thinks this is absolutely ridiculous," Hunter's grandmother Janet Logue told the TV station. "This is not threatening in any way."

Hunter's father Brian Spanjer said, "It's a symbol. It's an actual sign, a registered sign, through S.E.E."

The family told KOLN that lawyers from the National Association of the Deaf may push for Hunter's right to sign his name at the school.

Seems like terrible PR for this school. Although I find it quite funny where Yahoo News refers to it as a "Pubic" school.

Someone clearly got an impression they were uncomfortable with when they saw this child sign his name and felt that their feelings were important enough to demand a deaf child to change the signing of his own name. The world is hard enough for this kid without over sensitive adults seeking to impose greatly on his sense of self over their petty concerns and preferences.

Someone clearly got an impression they were uncomfortable with when they saw this child sign his name and felt that their feelings were important enough to demand a deaf child to change the signing of his own name. The world is hard enough for this kid without over sensitive adults seeking to impose greatly on his sense of self over their petty concerns and preferences.

Well said.

Sometimes all you can do is shake your head in bewilderment.

Ain't that the truth.

The parents have offered to change the child's sign-language name.

The new sign will consist of clinching the right fist, elbow bent, and then thrusting the fist upward, while slapping the right elbow with the left hand.

I was thinking of something much simpler. Just extending the middle finger.

I was thinking of something much simpler. Just extending the middle finger.

I came back in to say that he should just use the middle finger as his name and ask them if they can "hear this" :finger:, but you beat me to it.

---------- Post added August-29th-2012 at 01:46 PM ----------

Kids throwing gang signs in school at 3 and a half years old. What is this world coming to?

I doubt he even knows what a "gang" is at this point in life.

Well, if it offends a group of people, it should be changed. Doesn't matter if there's no offensive intent. We need to be sensitive to these things.

I'm sensing a not of sarcasm here.

I hope.

This is ridiculous. When did we become such a wussified country? How did we let it get this far? What'll be next? Trying to ban wheelchair bound people because the spokes resemble swastikas? Not allowing children with crutches into schools because they can resemble a rifle if held a certain way or can be used as a weapon in a pinch? :doh:

My goodness...what we have become.

Archived