Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per @chrisrussel... Gano released cundiff added

Missin Meast

I'd go with Josh Brown for this year and target Casey Barth out of UNC (younger brother of Connor Barth in TB) in the draft. Dude has broken every record set by Connor, has a bigger leg, and because of the low profile of UNC football, would probably be available in the 7th or even UFA.

Plus I know Casey and Connor through some people at work so maybe I can get tix. Oh and he is a Tarheel so he knows how to win.

I don't really fault Allen and Shanahan for Cundiff tanking.

Kickers are the most emotionally fragile players in football. Even more so than the QB's. Gano was damaged goods, so Bruce wheeled a ton of dough at Cundiff based on his qualifications, and what Smith was looking for in a PK. My guess as to why it is done this way, is to leave no doubt in Cundiff's head that he is the guy. Coddle his confidence, and restore the attitude necessary to get the job done. Well, he appears to be ruined by what happened in the AFC Championship, and now that these 3 other kickers are coming in, he has zero future here.

I am bewildered by the 'Skins perennial inability to field a quality kicker. When you look around the league and see the seemingly effortless success other teams have finding new talent, and getting retreads to succeed(Bryant; retread from TB to ATL nails a 54 yarder, effortlessly, in a huge spot).

Punter was a similar mystery for us for years on end, and Rocca seems to have changed that... Here's to hoping the young fella, Forbath wins the job, and sticks!

I think Cundiff has some kind of arrangement with a loan shark or the mafia or something. He just looks entirely too afraid anytime he has to kick a FG. I've never seen a kicker so terrified of kicking in my life.

Actually the word is that he is a ****y SOB that isn't afraid at all. Gano was the one terrified. That is why Shanny dumped him.

Per http://httr24-7.com/ :

"Billy Cundiff signed for 5 years $14.7 million with a $3 million dollar bonus. Average salary of $2,940,000 thru 2016."

That's the average amount for a place kicker with 10 years experience, one pro-bowl and one All-Pro achievement. Yes, Cundiff was actually one of the best kickers in 2010.

Ryan Lindell, the 12-year kicker for the Buffalo Bills averages $3.3 million per year. He has never made the Pro Bowl or the All Pro team.

I was still on board with giving Cundiff another chance after the Falcons game, however after reading his comments about "how his 31 yard miss would not have mattered because we would have lost by 4 points." really pissed me off.

Send his ***** ass back to Dallas or Baltimore. He fits in very well.

For some reason I feel like every other team in the league has at least a mediocre kicker, while we get stuck with truly bad ones.

Cundiff is currently last place in FG% with 58%. (33rd if you can believe it)

2011: Gano 32nd with 76%. Interestingly Cundiff had the same FG% and the big miss in the post season. Why anyone thought he was an upgrade I don't know. Here is the terrifying part: both were better than Josh Brown (75%).

2010: Gano was 38th 69%

So yeah it does feel like we've had a bad FG situation... because we've had a really bad FG situation. :)

Cundiff is currently last place in FG% with 58%. (33rd if you can believe it)

2011: Gano 32nd with 76%. Interestingly Cundiff had the same FG% and the big miss in the post season. Why anyone thought he was an upgrade I don't know. Here is the terrifying part: both were better than Josh Brown (75%).

2010: Gano was 38th 69%

So yeah it does feel like we've had a bad FG situation... because we've had a really bad FG situation. :)

Jesus, I mean, maybe it's all for the best now that we get our QB but how many games have we lost due to field goal kicking? It's one thing to have someone who is 82% even but 60s and mid-70s doesn't cut it because some of those makes are just chip shots that should be going in almost 100 percent of the time.

And another thing, why is it punters always boom artillery shells against us? I'm not saying we don't get some good punts in but wow, it's like 55 yards+ every time we try to return.

Where I think everyone (EDIT: obviously, not everyone. Bad word choice... I meant "some") is wrong isn't that Cundiff stinks...

It's that some people actually think Gano is better.

We need to find a kicker, for sure, and hopefully its Brown or Forbath... But the answer isn't, and never was, Graham Gano.

Jesus, I mean, maybe it's all for the best now that we get our QB but how many games have we lost due to field goal kicking? It's one thing to have someone who is 82% even but 60s and mid-70s doesn't cut it because some of those makes are just chip shots that should be going in almost 100 percent of the time.

And another thing, why is it punters always boom artillery shells against us? I'm not saying we don't get some good punts in but wow, it's like 55 yards+ every time we try to return.

It gets worse. I looked up team stats because we've had years with more than one kicker. I hope you skipped breakfast.

year - rank - FG%

2012 - 32 - 58%

2011 - 29 - 76%

2010 - 32 - 69%

2009 - 8 - 88%

2008 - 32 - 72%

2007 - 20 - 83%

2006 - 27 - 73%

2005 - 16 - 81%

2004 - 29 - 70%

2003 - 18 - 76%

Two seasons out of ten in the top half of the league. So I can understand why you felt so down about the Redskins kicking situation. I almost want the Redskins to choose a kicker and then immediately disqualify their first choice. Maybe if they accept that people within this organization simply can't select a kicker worth a damn they'll stumble blinding into a average one.

---------- Post added October-9th-2012 at 10:12 AM ----------

Where I think everyone (EDIT: obviously, not everyone. Bad word choice... I meant "some") is wrong isn't that Cundiff stinks...

It's that some people actually think Gano is better.

We need to find a kicker, for sure, and hopefully its Brown or Forbath... But the answer isn't, and never was, Graham Gano.

If we go Josh Brown we're hoping he rebounds from a bad year.... exactly as we were hoping Cundiff would. Brown was ranked 33rd in 2011 and managed to hit 75% of his field goals. (Worse than Cundiff and Gano that same year)

If we go Josh Brown we're hoping he rebounds from a bad year.... exactly as we were hoping Cundiff would. Brown was ranked 33rd in 2011 and managed to hit 75% of his field goals. (Worse than Cundiff and Gano that same year)

(The only reason I said Brown was because I certainly don't want Mare)

I'd prefer Forbath was signed because, well, you can't do any worse than we have been in field goals, and he could be here for a long time potentially. So may as well give him a spin to see.

For some reason I feel like every other team in the league has at least a mediocre kicker, while we get stuck with truly bad ones.

There's a guy on this site who keeps trying to pin this fact on the notion that the Redskins have a bad special teams coach who wouldn't know what to do even if Jan Stenerud fell out of the sky and into his lap.

(He's a real loudmouth. thinks he knows it all. He keeps saying that is why the results are the same no matter who the kicker is. Frankly, I'm about tired of him. )

Everybody knows a special teams coach can't do anything about his special teams.

~Bang

The Patriots signed Ocho Cinco and Haynesworth. Neither one really worked out. Does that mean their personnel guy stinks?

Cundiff was a mistake. I think keeping Gano would have been a mistake, too. They are both sub par players. Paying Cundiff what he's being paid is an even more substantial error.

But it's one mistake.

They get a pass since they've been to the big dance multiple times over the last 10 years.

Also, they get more "shots on goal" since they always have 1.5x the number of draft picks the average team gets almost every single season.

Archived