Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Going all Burgold ;) I won!! -- NFL Fan Flag Challenge

Teller

*BRRR!!!!*

That was the sound of me tooting my own horn. :)

About 2 months ago, I entered the NFL Fan Flag Challenge. Fans were asked to describe what a flag for their team should look like, then explain why they chose the elements they did. The grand prize was the NFL bringing the winning flags to fruition, and providing the "designers" with an all-expense-paid trip for two to New York City for the NFL Kickoff Festivities.

The entry literally took me 5 minutes to complete. And frankly, after that, I forgot about it completely. While I was in VA Beach on vacation, I got a phone call. "Jason, this is Meghan calling you on behalf of the National Football League..."

Shhyeah. Right.

"I'm calling to inform you that you've been selected as a finalist for the Redskins in the NFL Fan Flag Challenge. Are you still interested?"

Am I interested? Um, no. No, I don't want the NFL to produce my flag. And I don't want to go to NYC to present it. :ols: HELL YES I'M INTERESTED!!!!

She told me to check my email, and that she needed to get some more information; the email was to have all of the details.

I pull up my email....

"Dear Hog, congratulations! You have been selected as a grand prize winner in the NFL Fan Flag Challenge. So long as you meet all of our eligibility requirements, your flag will be produced by the NFL for presentation during the NFL Kickoff festivities."

I immediately sent them the required docs, and a few weeks later, received my confirmation email.

Turns out, they're flying us up, putting us up in the Marriott Marquis Times Square, providing transportation to all league events, and sending us to the season opener between the Giants and Cowboys. And get this...I get to present the flag during the kickoff concert (which will be performed by Mariah Carey and Gwen Stefani.)

I will happily consider any and all opinions as to which of those lovely ladies I should bring home with me. :pfft:

Own-horn-blowing over. HTTR!!!!

:logo:

Bang, I'd appreciate you not minimalizing the difficulty of spelling out "Hail to the Washington Redskins" in dried macaroni. ;):ols:

In all seriousness though, I can't post a rendering because the NFL owns the design now. But here's a description:

The flag is a deep burgundy, like the color of the 1937 jerseys. Centered on it is the Capitol Building. In the upper left, in an "actual" gold color (i.e. -- not yellow) is the word "History" in a script style. Below that is "Tradition," written the same way. Top right is "Victory" and bottom right is "Redskins." "Redskins" is today's gold (yellow) with the script "R" that Joe Gibbs wore. The rest of the word is in the current block-style lettering.

That's the description I sent them, along with an explanation of why I chose those elements. (I won't go into that, because I know all of you are aware of EXACTLY why I chose them.) The info I got back said that by agreeing to accept the prize, I allow the NFL's artists "artistic license" but my idea will be used as the basis for the flag.

I'll post pics after the event. Thanks for the support, gang. I'll do my best to represent us well!!!

• 2 weeks later...

All they wanted to show was the Cowboys ( :puke: ) & the Giants ( :shot: ). They scanned a bunch, but of course, they didn't show us. I can't wait to see this flag design. It sounds AWESOME!

EDIT: Btw, H_H, congrats. I can't even imagine how psyched you must be. Not to get too personal, but other than a free trip to NYC to see these 2 dipstick teams beat up on each other, do you get money out of this as well? That would be super sweet.

Archived