Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins announce press confrence for Portis, who is retiring Thursday.

GOSKINS_08

He did this interview a while back..Pretty good stuff

Talking about playing for Coach Gibbs:

It was the best thing that ever happened to me. But I will say that Gibbs ran us into the ground! Coach Gibbs taught me how to become a man and to take responsibility for your actions both on and off the field. I have the greatest respect for him as a person and all the hard work and dedication that he put in- not only as a coach, but also as a mentor and friend. He would always give his honest opinion and had the ability to talk to you without being judgmental. He cared about his players more as people then he did about us winning games. Don’t get me wrong…he loved winning too. He got the best out of you when it came to football, but I think it came from how much his players respected him as a person.

I think the defining Coach Gibbs moment for me was seeing how he handled the tragedy with Sean. At that moment you realized it wasn’t about football with him, but it was about something so much bigger. We saw as a team how much his faith anchored him in all he did.

Talking about his relationship with Sean:

I kept pushing Coach Gibbs to draft Sean Taylor to the Redskins. People didn’t realize how talented and gifted Sean was because he wasn’t a media darling all the time. He was much quieter and kept to himself.

The way that Sean developed as a player and how he grew to trust Coach Gibbs was just outstanding. He never complained and always worked hard. For example, if it was hot outside then he would go outside and run in a full sweat suit, and if it was cold outside then he would come out in shorts and a t-shirt and fight through the chills. You would never hear Sean give excuses. I remember one day I came in to work out and Sean was there and was wearing jeans, flip-flops and a sweater. Sean said that he would run with me so I didn’t have to work out by myself. Sean ran 100’s with me, and as we were running he told me that he had already worked out twice that day. Sean had run with every group that came in to work out that day. He was just that kind of guy.

Sean was on his way to becoming one of the best defensive players to ever play the game. He left his mark on the league for the short time he was here, and it’s hard to imagine the player he could have become because he was that talented.

CP is and will always be the man. I'll be keeping his white 26 jersey in my steady rotation.

also this from NBCWashington

"It's a beginning and an end," Portis tweeted Tuesday. "This is just the new beginning to the rest of my life, the game was great to me! HTTR I'm forever a skin!!!!"

Glad to see CP retire as a Redskin.....he was definitely a bright spot for some pretty poor seasons after Gibbs II. I recall how quick he was initially when he came over, how he would burst through the Oline.....something I am missing with our current crop of RB's. He was also a fierce blocker, even after his injuries.....recall watching him running with a WR who had just made a reception in a game vs Houston a few seasons ago under Zorn, and he leveled a potential tackler that was running up the sideline......I also recall how po'd I was during the pre season game when he ran down and tackled a defender who had intercepted a pass.....and CP hurt his shoulder....think that was the beginning of the end of his career.

Hail CP....first jersey I purchased for my wife....

Watching that video makes me shed a tear for Chris Samuels. What a ****ing stud tackle he was god damn. One of those plays he was 40 yards down the field trying to block 3 guys at once to get CP into the endzone. What a god damn player. Trent who? I wish we had linemen with that kind of hustle.

He was the offense for so long - the club owes it to him to pay him this honour - we ruined him through his hefty workload! I hope he continues to be involved with football in some capacity - great character and best blocking tailback ever! I would probably prefer to see a highlight reel of his blocks rather than his tds

love to see this. Always appreciated his selfless attitude and contrary what some might think he was a great teammate. They aked him to to essentially be a power back even though he wasn't built for such. What did he do? He put on the weight to try and absorb the punishment.

I will say however that I was more fond of his fearless blocking moreso than his running ability. He was a beast and took on whomever came his way. His career was cut short because he was so selfless and you better recognize.

I was such a huge fan of Portis even during his Denver days. When I found out the Skins traded for him I was excited, even though he wasnt a perfect fit for Gibbs' power running, the man give it everything. He was also a great blocking back and the way he would run down the field to make blocks for others was just great to see. I am happy he is retiring as a Redskins and I wish him the best in whatever future endeavors he has planned.

Archived