Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are your favorite movie directors?

Springfield

Forgot to add the late John Hughes to my original list. From writing many screenplays including Vacation & Xmas Vacation, to all the films he directed & produced like Ferris Bueller, Breakfast Club, etc he left his mark on the 80's.

Everyone's pretty much covered the names I would add.

One guy I'm really excited to see in the future is Charlie Kaufman. He's written a lot of my favorite movies and just directed his first film in Synecdoche, New York a while ago which I loved, I hope he keeps it up.

Terry Gilliam has done a couple movies I really like.

Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Jabberwocky

Time Bandits

The Fisher King

12 Monkeys

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

The Brothers Grimm

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus

---------- Post added July-15th-2012 at 05:09 PM ----------

Terry Gilliam

missed first time through

I must have missed something, but one of the greatest directors of all times has not been listed once.

Mel Brooks!

I think he was mentioned one time. I agree though, he has given us some of the greatest parodies and comedies in movie history. Oddly, I still think of him more as a writer than director.

I think he was mentioned one time. I agree though, he has given us some of the greatest parodies and comedies in movie history. Oddly, I still think of him more as a writer than director.

I was unsure and had to google it just to make sure he was a director. He was and of some of the greatest comedies of all time.

Tim Burton

I haven't really liked a Burton movie in 18 years.

He doesn't direct a lot but I like Todd Haynes.

The only directors I got out of my way to see these days are Fincher, Scorsese (still), and the Coen Brothers.

I don't think Woody Allen is all that great as a director; I do like him as a screenwriter though. It is difficult to separate the two aspects.

Interesting factoid: Even though Tarantino's movies are super violent and riddled with drug use, he doesn't like guns and doesn't do drugs.

Pretty sure you're mistaken about the drug part.

I believe he was on the Stern show around the time that Inglorious Basterds was released and mentioned going to Brad Pitt's house/apt in Europe and doing hash with him. I think I remember reading Pitt wasn't too happy that he put that out there.

EDIT:

http://www.tmz.com/2009/08/18/tarantino-i-hashed-it-out-with-brad-pitt/#shine

Anyway, there are a few directors I usually make a point to see their movies:

Christopher Nolan

Martin Scorcese

David Fincher

Tarantino

Coen Brothers

Darren Aronofsky

I had to look up Paul Thomas Anderson. His resume is impressive. Loved There Will Be Blood, probably a top 10 movie for me.

His new one coming out later this year sounds like it has a lot of potential.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1560747/

The Master (2012)

Drama - 9 November 2012 (UK)

Not yet released

A 1950s-set drama centered on the relationship between a charismatic intellectual known as "the Master" whose faith-based organization begins to catch on in America, and a young drifter who becomes his right-hand man.

Director:

Paul Thomas Anderson

Writer:

Paul Thomas Anderson

Stars:

Philip Seymour Hoffman, Joaquin Phoenix and Amy Adams | See full cast and crew

Archived