Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Who are your favorite movie directors?

Springfield

Simple enough question. What director do you watch a movie simply because they are directing it? I'm sure I can't be the only who watches movie just because it is directed by a particular person.

For me Danny Boyle is pretty high up there. Trainspotting, The Beach, 28 Days Later, Sunshine, Slumdog Millionaire, 127 Hours. Quite a resume spanning multiple genres of movies. The guy is just a brilliant director. I don't think he's ever had a "miss".

Others would have to be Stephen Spielberg, David Fincher, Clint Eastwood and Peter Jackson.

When I see these names attached to a film or project it is usually a stamp of quality.

David Fincher

Woody Allen

Clint Eastwood

Coen Brothers

Martin Scorsese

Steven Spielberg

Steven Soderbergh

Paul Thomas Anderson

Quentin Tarantino

Spielberg - Jaws, ET, Schindler's List, Jurassic Park, Close Encounters

Scorsese - GoodFellas, Mean Streets, Raging Bull, Taxi Driver

Stanley Kubrick

Francis Ford Copolla

James Cameron - Avatar sucks and Titanic was horribly overrated but Terminator, T2, Aliens are all excellent.

---------- Post added July-15th-2012 at 03:03 PM ----------

Oh yeah, some of these more in the past somewhat, and more old school: R. Howard, Scorsese, Zemeckis, Lean, B. Wilder, Pollack, R. Wise, Hitch****, B. Edwards. Love my cinema. :)

Forgot Zemeckis - Forrest Gump, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Back to the Future are class.

I like both Cameron Crowe and of course Scorsese. They obviously can both tell a good story but for me what stands out about these two guys is how they both are huge music aficiandos and they consistently incorporate just great music into their films. Heck for Crowe music IS who he is as a person. He even married one of the hot sisters from Heart. For those not familiar w/Crowe some of his notable films are Almost Famous/Say Anything/Jerry Macguire/Vanilla Sky/Fast Times at Ridgemont High

Can't believe we didn't mention Tarantino yet. (your sig, stick) (oops sorry Hog, I missed it)

Can't believe I forgot about Tarantino. He's one that I'll go watch strictly because his name is on it.

Interesting factoid: Even though Tarantino's movies are super violent and riddled with drug use, he doesn't like guns and doesn't do drugs.

Forgot Zemeckis - Forrest Gump, Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Back to the Future are class.

:doh:

I completely forgot about Zemeckis. From Romancing the Stone to Forrest Gump, and Cast Away, etc. ....he has one hell of a resume.

edit: Forgot he also did Polar Express and Christmas Carol. Love watching those with the kids.

I was going to say Judd Apatow. Then I went and looked at his directing resume.

The 40 Year Old Virgin, Knocked Up and Funny People are the only movies he's actually directed. 2 and 1/2 of those were hilarious but he's apparently a much better producer than he is director. He had a hand in movies like Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Superbad, Pineapple Express, Get Him to the Greek, Anchorman, Talladega Nights, Step Brothers and pretty much every good comedy not named The Hangover in the last decade though.

Archived