Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Examiner: Undrafted corner worth the Chase for Redskins

Great story, couldn't be better really and if he actually beats the career ending injury he had and actually makes the team, it's even better. If he starts one day and it's a good thing, it's a miracle.

That said, if he makes the roster, or even the practice squad I'll be impressed.

Side note, that article made him sound so competitive, that if he wasn't playing a professional sport, sounds like he would be pretty annoying to be around. :ols:

Great story, couldn't be better really and if he actually beats the career ending injury he had and actually makes the team, it's even better. If he starts one day and it's a good thing, it's a miracle.

That said, if he makes the roster, or even the practice squad I'll be impressed.

Side note, that article made him sound so competitive, that if he wasn't playing a professional sport, sounds like he would be pretty annoying to be around. :ols:

another double-move susceptible corner

See what would have been nice is if you would've elaborated on this statement. For someone like myself who has never seen him play I would like to know why you think he is susceptibile to the double move. Did you watch him play at UVA? Can you remember games in particular where QBs and WRs burned him on the double move? I'm curious because I've only heard good things about his coverage skills.

See what would have been nice is if you would've elaborated on this statement. For someone like myself who has never seen him play I would like to know why you think he is susceptibile to the double move. Did you watch him play at UVA? Can you remember games in particular where QBs and WRs burned him on the double move? I'm curious because I've only heard good things about his coverage skills.

Don't mind him. I've never actually seen him make a positive post about the Redskins. Just look at his signature.

Don't mind him. I've never actually seen him make a positive post about the Redskins. Just look at his signature.

Ah. It sounded like he was a hater but I thought I would give him the benefit of the doubt. Thanks for the heads up!

Here is a video from the UVA-Miami game this past year.There are some good plays and some bad ones but you can get a pretty good idea of his style of play.

Edit: I watched a lot of UVA games and I didn't notice him being susceptible to the double moves any more than other CBs though he did get beat from time to time like anyone does and could get pushed out of the way at the line from some of the bigger WRs IMO.

For starters, we didn't use a draft pick on him.

I was referring to their respective injuries.

---------- Post added July-3rd-2012 at 09:37 AM ----------

Kelly had a history with injuries before he was released.

Does Minnnefield have a history with injuries in college, or did he have just this one injury?

I don't know, that's why I asked.

Here is a video from the UVA-Miami game this past year.There are some good plays and some bad ones but you can get a pretty good idea of his style of play.

Edit: I watched a lot of UVA games and I didn't notice him being susceptible to the double moves any more than other CBs though he did get beat from time to time like anyone does and could get pushed out of the way at the line from some of the bigger WRs IMO.

Perfect. Thanks. Exactly what I was looking for.

Kelly had a history with injuries before he was released.

Does Minnnefield have a history with injuries in college, or did he have just this one injury?

Keep in mind, he isn't just any UDFA. Minnefield was thought to possibly go as high as the late 2nd round (most likely in the third). His injury scared teams off. Folks hear the term "microfracture" and they think 'career threatning injury'. So teams stayed away. Even the Redskins, who didn't risk a draft pick on him.

He didn't miss any time in mini-camps and OTAs, so hopefully everything works out.

I beleive this was his only significant injury in college and he seems to be recovering at a nice pace. Not to downplay it but with the increases in technology the microfracture surgery isn't the death sentence it once was, which we have already seen and come to accept with other severe injuries like torn ACLs and Tommy John that are much more recoverable from today than previously. Let's hope he keeps improving without any setbacks.

• 2 weeks later...
I beleive this was his only significant injury in college and he seems to be recovering at a nice pace. Not to downplay it but with the increases in technology the microfracture surgery isn't the death sentence it once was, which we have already seen and come to accept with other severe injuries like torn ACLs and Tommy John that are much more recoverable from today than previously. Let's hope he keeps improving without any setbacks.

My main question with Chase is that I'd wonder about the chances of reinjuring it. Kelly is the perfect example to compare him to. The name that popped into my mind was Agent 0 (Gilbert Arenas) who seemed to be coming along nicely, but never seemed to recover. I wonder about Chase's confidence, his cuts, his ability to take hits, etc. And then I wonder about our training staff. Lets not forget that we just lost Laron and he was complaining about our coaching staff. Given, he's a special case because he was so interested in being a bodybuilder. But I just think that its always a risk with injuries that I'm trying to calm my expectations, especially with how much potential I heard about Kelly and how he turned out.

I would have drafted him in the 7th round just to make sure he was ours.....There is NO risk drafting in 7th round or undrafted FRA........what are they talking about

If we pick up the best UDFA's possible that SHOULD have been drafted but werent, I would say that we optimized both our draft picks and our undrafted pick ups.

I remember reading that the surgery was done on a non weight bearing portion of his knee.

I'm just guessing, but "susceptible to the double move" sounds like a kind of euphemism for "gambler" to me. Maybe the statement was made from observation or based off the comparison to Hall, who knows. But I don't see a problem with a gambling spirit. Some of the best defenders out there are the ones who don't follow the script, and instead rely on their gut. The problem potentially comes when you make bad gambles (too much risk, not enough potential reward), make them at the wrong time, are constantly at odds with the defensive system, or don't have the talent to make the gamble pay off.

My main question with Chase is that I'd wonder about the chances of reinjuring it. Kelly is the perfect example to compare him to.

Malcolm Kelly's injuries aren't comparable to Chases. Malcolm, if I remember, had a multitude of injuries, not one. Additionally, he had degenerative knee which is something that can make a player "undraftable".

Ya know...injuries are always a concern. But for every Malcolm Kelly, you also have a Drew Brees. I don't even know why we are talking about injuries concerning Chase. If the Skins spent a top 3 pick on him, then SURE...wasted draft pick concern! But this guy was a free agent, he has looked fully recovered and good in OTA's, so if you are wasting your time sweating and worring about whether or not there will be an injury concern, go ahead and give yourself an ulcer. I can recommend several good doctors. This was a bonus pick up, no draft picks used, and he is not expected to be a starter or be an inpact player, therefore, I would be more concerned with our injured STARTERS like Hankerson (can he stay healthy), Jammal Brown (will he ever be healthy), and RG3 (will his injuries return). It will be starters and injuries to starters which will determine the Skins success or failure.

I loved that we were able to land him. Dude is legit, we should have our corners set for the foreseeable future as long as he's healthy.

That's great for our corners, but I'm worried about our safeties. I honestly don't know much at all about this kid. Is he someone who might be able to be used to fill in to help out at safety, kind of a hybrid DB? Because, safety is my only big concern for our defense right now.

---------- Post added July-15th-2012 at 06:34 PM ----------

Thanks for posting that video. That one touch down play mad it look like he needs to work on his ups some, but it may have been the angle and separation. Hard to tell from that brief shot.

I knew I recognized his last name - I just could never place it. Glad to hear Dad was a pro bowler!

He seems to have his head on straight - seems a student of the game, and seems dedicated to getting better. And has a plan if things don't work out in the NFL, good for him.

Sounds like a great pickup.

Archived