Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Washington Examiner: Undrafted corner worth the Chase for Redskins

http://washingtonexaminer.com/undrafted-corner-worth-the-chase-for-redskins/article/2501050

When the NFL red-flagged him before the draft, teams were scared off by two words: microfracture surgery. So cornerback Chase Minnifield went from high-round prospect to intriguing undrafted free agent.

This is what they say now about the rookie cornerback: He could be a steal. He could help a team. He could, someday, become a starter.

If (and that's the loaded word) Minnifield is healthy -- and it must be noted he practiced this spring for the Redskins, less than six months after surgery on his right knee.

"I'm out here to prove everyone wrong," Minnifield said. "But I don't have much to prove. My game will talk for itself."

This talk of slights and motivation is nothing new.

"Chase hasn't changed one bit," said his father, Frank, a Pro Bowl corner from 1984-92 with Cleveland. "That's just his personality."

For now, all Chase Minnifield proved is that he can play well in shorts and a helmet, as he did in the June minicamp. There's a long way to go to declare him a success story. But still ...

"If the kid turns out to be healthy, he'll be a great steal for them," said Russ Lande, the Sporting News' draft analyst and a former NFL scout. "He's a legit starting corner in the NFL: great length, very good ability and natural ball skills. A tough kid. ... Hopefully a year from now he blossoms into the player he was before he hurt his knee. It's a great risk to take."

Here's why:

It just seems like these days the FO is making ALL the right moves. THESE are the types of risks & flyers you take, as opposed to the boneheaded moves of the previous regime. Every player we seem to bring in lately all seem to be high character guys with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove. Love it.

If this is a dream, don't wake me baby.

Hail.

It’s very exciting that the skins gave themselves the opportunity to potentially have an undrafted player be a developing starter....... I think most of us on here will be watching him closely with our fingers crossed, I know I will.....

HTTR

Califan, are you a Redskins PR rep or something? I swear we get more news and stories from you than we do Redskins.com. :)

Great article though. Really looking forward to seeing him develop as I think he can be a strong piece in our secondary for years. The FO has done a masterful job and I anticipate Chase eventually becoming another in a string of hits the FO has made.

I'm telling you, I was pissed with every round that went by after we drafted LeReibus that this kid was still on the board and his name wasn't called. The fact that we got him as an UDFA just made it sweet.

If he puts out on the field this franchise is going to take care of him and he should know by now this fanbase will take care of him for a looong time.

The thing I love about this team right now is how many different players, in many different positions, have potential and interesting stories. There are several guys who have a chance to overcome adversity/long odds, continue progress at new positions, achieve personal goals and HOPEFULLY help bring us back to greatness.

RGIII, Helu, Hankerson, Darrel Young, Niles Paul, Brown, Jenkins, etc. Just a lot of guys who may become the next great Redskin at their position.

Minnifield is a perfect example of it. Talented kid, undrafted because of injury, making every effort to prove that he belongs. Good story and seems like a good kid.

Best of luck to him and all the others.

HTTR

Nice article. We sure do like our UDFA's around here for some reason. Maybe its that we've seen so many of Cerrato's draft picks bust or maybe it's that everyone loves an underdog, but for whatever reason most years, there's at least one whom posters seem to rally behind.

This season it's unquestionably Chase. I'm rooting for him as well!

Take Dhall's job please! ;p

(Before someone gets all flamed up, I know Chase is not likely to rise higher than nickel/dime CB on the depth chart this season.)

Talented on and off the field, like so many of the other young signings of this regime. As a franchise we're killing it re: talent evaluation compared to what we are used to and it appears to have got better as our scouting dept has meshed with Mike. Hope it stays intact for a few more years before guys start accepting the offers that can't be far away.

Still find it amazing no one drafted him given how good surgery is these days and his talent/desire/work ethic/genes. We have some good CBs going forward.

Is this kids situation different than the combs? Seems like we're being overly optimistic that chase will be able to stay healthy.

I'm certainly rooting for him, but remain cautious about my optimism after the comb burned me soo bad.

And our fans officially have their rookie mancrush/underdog story that we're all rooting for. I think everyone realizes what a steal is as long as he's healthy enough to regain his form - and that is the obvious nagging question. I already was hoping for big things from him down the read, after reading an article like this about how driven and intelligent he is, combined with the fact he was full go (regardless of without pads), I expect him to get back to form and contribute sooner rather than later.

We are lucky there was such a good connection between his father and Bruce Allen, and it should be noted that if Hall and Wilson continue to improve and so does Chase, our corners could eventually become another strength for this defense.

Correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't there a UDFA CB who was reported to sign with the Skins (i.e. imposter / hacked Twitter account ), to then only later find out he signed with the Iggles? Might be nice to see the development of both he and Minnefield. perhaps something else to try and best them at.:ols: For the record, I think we will surprise some (esp. NFCE) this season. Hail.

Heart, desire and smarts!

Plus kid is pissed off with a chip on his shoulder; this is his go to prove himself the better growing up in his fathers shadow. Not to mention injury.

The science with microfracture surgery today isnt what it was in 2002. I read somewhere on a random med forum that opinions on the surgery haven't caught up with the science.

Is this kids situation different than the combs? Seems like we're being overly optimistic that chase will be able to stay healthy.

I'm certainly rooting for him, but remain cautious about my optimism after the comb burned me soo bad.

Kelly had a history with injuries before he was released.

Does Minnnefield have a history with injuries in college, or did he have just this one injury?

Keep in mind, he isn't just any UDFA. Minnefield was thought to possibly go as high as the late 2nd round (most likely in the third). His injury scared teams off. Folks hear the term "microfracture" and they think 'career threatning injury'. So teams stayed away. Even the Redskins, who didn't risk a draft pick on him.

He didn't miss any time in mini-camps and OTAs, so hopefully everything works out.

Archived