"Supreme Court strikes down individual mandate portion of health care law."

They replace it one minute later with the one word headline:

"Upheld"

Edited by Dan T.

At 10:22, I cut and pasted this from cnn.com:

"Upheld"

CNN with an all-time Epic Fail on this. They were too worried about being first and not checking all the facts.

At 10:22, I cut and pasted this from cnn.com:

"Upheld"

Yeah.. CNN had it as being struck down for a good 5 minutes, at least.

I'm going to go ahead and make a prediction about the outcome. Despite all the rumors that some portion of the law will likely be thrown out, I think the entire law will be upheld by both Kennedy and Roberts, making it 6-3 to leave the law as it stands.

Trying to judge how the court will sway based on the line of questioning is often misleading, and I think it will prove to be so in this case.

You win! Good call.

The line I expect to hear the most in the coming days is this from the right-

"Just because the Court says it's Constitutional does not mean it's good policy"

and from the left -

" the SCOTUS has proven that this law is morally sound"

And both sides will claim it will help them in the fall.

Sweet.

Calling my congressman now. Make everyone buy a Nissan. With six standard airbags, think of all the money we'll save on vehicles that don't have such safety features.

I'm gonna be rich!!!!! :D

Stop acting dense, how will buying a Nissan ensure that everyone who USES or will be using HEALTH CARE pay for what they use....besides only American cars anyways!!!!

Sweet.

Calling my congressman now. Make everyone buy a Nissan. With six standard airbags, think of all the money we'll save on vehicles that don't have such safety features.

Versus the current situation ... when someone who needs a car and doesn't have one, they just take one and everyone else has to pay more.

I guess the liberal elite will have to stop bashing Roberts for a while.

LOL @ "liberal elite." I guess this ruling must sting a bit.

Surely the conservative hordes will leave that condescending liberal egghead elite Justice Roberts alone, and respect the honor of the court.

It will be interesting to watch... from afar.

I think what will be interesting is the impact on the fall election. Does this mean Obama cruises to reelection. The Dems retake the House and keep the Senate. Liberalism on steroids in 2013.

Or does this lead to the opposite, Romney cruises to victory, Repubs keep the House and take the Senate.

My gut says that this will give Obama his victory.

Sweet.

The funny thing about this is that the Health Care mandate doesn't set a precedent, laws congress passes don't do that. But a supreme court ruling does however. So it's kind of ironic that the argument made against that health care law that the government would start making us buy broccoli (lol) is ultimately what may open the door for just that.

Amy Howe: In Plain English: The Affordable Care Act, including its individual mandate that virtually all Americans buy health insurance, is constitutional. There were not five votes to uphold it on the ground that Congress could use its power to regulate commerce between the states to require everyone to buy health insurance. However, five Justices agreed that the penalty that someone must pay if he refuses to buy insurance is a kind of tax that Congress can impose using its taxing power. That is all that matters. Because the mandate survives, the Court did not need to decide what other parts of the statute were constitutional, except for a provision that required states to comply with new eligibility requirements for Medicaid or risk losing their funding. On that question, the Court held that the provision is constitutional as long as states would only lose new funds if they didn't comply with the new requirements, rather than all of their funding.

from the SCOTUS Blog

I think what will be interesting is the impact on the fall election. Does this mean Obama cruises to reelection. The Dems retake the House and keep the Senate. Liberalism on steroids in 2013.

Or does this lead to the opposite, Romney cruises to victory, Repubs keep the House and take the Senate.

My gut says that this will give Obama his victory.

i can see how it might make liberals a little more enthusiastic about obama's first term, but i don't see why anyone already opposed to obama would move in his favor (or vice versa). i predict little practical impact, and obama will retain his current slight electoral advantage.

Bottom Line: Supreme Court upholds healthcare law' date=' mandate operates as a tax not a penalty therefore it's okay.[/quote']

Aaaand those of us who called bull**** on "no American making less than $250,000 a year will see a tax increase of any kind" say, "I told you so."