Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obamacare...(new title): GOP DEATH PLAN: Don-Ryan's Express

JMS

1 hour ago, AsburySkinsFan said:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2017/07/29/trump-erupts-at-gop-senators-they-look-like-fools/?utm_term=.298f47bfc167&wpisrc=nl_most-draw14&wpmm=1

Title: Trump insults and threatens GOP senators in long rant after health bill failure

I like this synopsis because it demonstrates that  A: Either Trump is simply stupid or he's just a con-man. B: Trump is an obsessive and hates losing. C: Trump has ZERO strategic sense.

I guarrantee you when McConnell hears talk of ending fillibuster he has nightmares about post-2018 Senate with a Democrat majority.

He really has no clue how government works. Also no I mean no Senator R or D will ever go back to a 51 vote majority because they understand that can and will destroy a country in the present and future. It's there for a reason. 

• Like 3

On 7/30/2017 at 2:25 PM, DCranon21 said:

He really has no clue how government works. Also no I mean no Senator R or D will ever go back to a 51 vote majority because they understand that can and will destroy a country in the present and future. It's there for a reason. 

I wish I had your confidence in the Republicans ability not to make a power grab because they think it will harm the country.  

I certainly haven't seen it demonstrated.  

• Like 3

Yeah that would absolutely doom the Republicans. They couldn't give two actual ****s if people lose their insurance, but they want to control how long it takes before it happens so they're long gone by that time or so they can distance themselves just by virtue of it having been years since they passed the legislation. This would be an almost IMMEDIATE impact and it would directly impact them in 2018.

• Like 1

If there's one thing i've learned, underestimating the Republicans ability to not be doomed is a mistake. Underestimating their ability to sell hog swill to people who drink it up with a smile is a mistake.

Just like overestimating the democrats historic ability to get out the vote during mid-terms.

I ain't holding my breath.

It's probably a pre-existing condition anyway.

~Bang

Edited by Bang
  • Like 6

On 8/1/2017 at 8:44 AM, No Excuses said:

The Senate Filibuster is the only thing preventing legislation for a Medicare-For-All program in this country. 

I hope they nuke it.

Damn how many times do I have point out that filibuster is dead and has been dead since 2013.  Whenever the filibuster interferes with a controlling parties policies it will be gone.  If the Repubs had done a clean ACA repeal it would have required the filibuster to be killed and they would have killed it. 

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 1

On 8/1/2017 at 11:44 AM, No Excuses said:

The Senate Filibuster is the only thing preventing legislation for a Medicare-For-All program in this country. 

I hope they nuke it.

Did you mean Medicaid?

Seems more likely, though expanding Medicare could be part of the deal.

On 8/1/2017 at 11:44 AM, No Excuses said:

I hope they nuke it.

Which is EXACTLY why the GOP won't. Trump is short-sighted and has zero strategic understanding. All he cares about is something he can call a win, he doesn't care what it is even if it damages things for generations down the road.

3 hours ago, nonniey said:

Damn how many times do I have point out that filibuster is dead and has been dead since 2013.  Whenever the filibuster interferes with a controlling parties policies it will be gone.  If the Repubs had done a clean ACA repeal it would have required the filibuster to be killed and they would have killed it. 

The legislative filibuster is not dead. The day it dies, America will take a sharp turn to the left. It is far more useful in maintaining a conservative society than a leftist one. 

I personally cannot wait to see it gone at this point. You have Mitch McConnel to thank for turning the Senate into a joke.

Edited by No Excuses
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nonniey said:

So why did the GOP chose not to go down that road when it came to health care? 

Don't you all understand?  

Some day down the road, the Republican Party is going to unanimously vote to eliminate the filibuster.  Therefore it was eliminated by the Democrats (and only by the Democrats), four years ago.  The people who actually vote to do this, and the date on which they do so, will be completely irrelevant, and instead, all blame will belong to people who didn't vote to do it, on a date at which it didn't happen.  

Because the people who actually did it (or will have done it) have issued talking points which say so.  

Edited by Larry
  • Like 4

18 hours ago, Hersh said:

So why did the GOP chose not to go down that road when it came to health care? 

Huh maybe because there was no filibuster.

18 hours ago, Larry said:

Don't you all understand?  

Some day down the road, the Republican Party is going to unanimously vote to eliminate the filibuster.  Therefore it was eliminated by the Democrats (and only by the Democrats), four years ago.  The people who actually vote to do this, and the date on which they do so, will be completely irrelevant, and instead, all blame will belong to people who didn't vote to do it, on a date at which it didn't happen.  

Because the people who actually did it (or will have done it) have issued talking points which say so.  

I see you still don't understand the concept of De Jure and De facto. 

18 hours ago, No Excuses said:

The legislative filibuster is not dead. The day it dies, America will take a sharp turn to the left. It is far more useful in maintaining a conservative society than a leftist one. 

I personally cannot wait to see it gone at this point. You have Mitch McConnel to thank for turning the Senate into a joke.

Oh it is dead all right can you point out one instance of a filibuster being used to stop the majority party since 2013?

19 hours ago, tshile said:

@nonniey you mean defacto dead

:)

Of course and it is.

2 hours ago, nonniey said:

Huh maybe because there was no filibuster.

That doesn't make sense. The GOP elected to try to pass a bill that wouldn't require 60 votes. They could have gone down that road on repeal and replace but they chose not to do that. The reason is that they didn't want to do away with the filibuster. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Hersh said:

That doesn't make sense. The GOP elected to try to pass a bill that wouldn't require 60 votes. They could have gone down that road on repeal and replace but they chose not to do that. The reason is that they didn't want to do away with the filibuster. 

Yeah I think you may be correct - I thought a full repeal would include non budgetary matters (which I thought would allow a potential filibuster). 

Edited by nonniey
  • Like 2