Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obamacare...(new title): GOP DEATH PLAN: Don-Ryan's Express

JMS

21 minutes ago, Sacks 'n' Stuff said:

That's all it's been for 7 years.

I know but it hasn't always needed fixing. What I meant was that instead of fixing it after these failures they won't return to regular order.

:)

From 2013. Still relevant.

http://www.newyorker.com/humor/borowitz-report/cruz-the-dream-of-keeping-poor-people-from-seeing-a-doctor-must-never-die

WASHINGTON (The Borowitz Report)—Acknowledging that the government shutdown was coming to an end, an emotional Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas) took to the Senate floor today to make an impassioned speech, telling his colleagues, “The dream of keeping poor people from seeing a doctor must never die.”

His eyes welling up with tears, Sen. Cruz said, “I embarked on this crusade with a simple goal: to keep affordable health care out of the reach of ordinary, hard-working Americans. And while this battle was lost, that dream—that precious, cherished dream—will live on.

Reflecting on the government shutdown and near-default that almost touched off a global financial apocalypse, Sen. Cruz said, “We’ll give it another try in a few weeks.”

Sen. Cruz’s closest ally, Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) also spoke reverently of the shutdown, calling it “the most expensive Civil War reënactment in history.”

“Unfortunately, once again, the wrong side won,” he said.

Edited by The Evil Genius
  • Like 1

I wonder if McCain was chuckling so much because he Collins/Murkowski were like, "Look, here comes this prick Pence again.  He apparently actually thinks he can convince me to vote yes.  Let's jerk him around a little bit before we vote."

1 hour ago, StillUnknown said:

while i agree with the sentiment, i'm usually against passing out credit for doing the bare minimum 

even if you dislike the ACA, voting against last nights abomination should not have been a hard decision

the 48 who did should be shamed into damnation, specifically the Lindsey Graham's of the world who said it was bull**** and still voted for it

When Trump used another Gov agency to threaten Murkowski. It was another sign that he doesn't know or care how things work. He picked out a woman to target because in the past when he bullies people. He's likely had most success with women. Look, he treats Huckaboom-Sanders like ****. She goes up there with the weakest lies and gets pounded without any question. Well, that might be hereditary because her Dad is carrying water for a guy who would watch them both drown before getting his plugs wet.

McCain getting the final vote and making it a thing. Yeah, that was a moment. But I think Susan Collins and Lisa Murkowski consistently weren't ****ing around on this.

• Like 2

Well, at least the GOP went right back to work, brainstorming potential solutions that so far include repealing amendments, defunding the CBO, launching attack ads against the senators who voted against it, and the revolutionary idea of blaming the democrats. Well done assholes.

• Like 3

a couple of random thoughts:

i don't know what to think about mccain. he always manages to do things, randomly, that make me remember why I used to have so much respect for him... but then he goes and does many things that make me think he's a fraud. yes, he voted no for a poor plan. odds are, he's more angry he wasn't invited to create the plan, or doesn't mind taking a jab at trump, or something else then he all the sudden cares for the people the way he's being lauded for right now. I don't know, maybe i'm being harsh.

I also can't help but wonder if he was the sacrifice. I can imagine meetings the past few days with groups of GOP senators that go something like this:
McCain, you aren't going to be here much longer. We all stand to lose in a primary if we vote no to this. We'll all vote yes, you vote no. If you even manage to run for reelection it probably won't hurt you anyways; certainly not as much as it would hurt us.

Seeing some of the video from last night, i realize this probably isn't the case but it was one of my many cynical thoughts about McCain this morning listening to the news.

Just random thoughts. Not deeply tied to any of them.

Edited by tshile
  • Like 2

It looks to me like McCain intentionally killed this, so in that sense, I'd assign more credit for stopping the legislation than to the other two Republicans (though they get credit for sticking to their guns).

The reason I say that is McCain didn't have to come back to stop the bill from passing. He could have stayed in Arizona and gotten treatment for his brain cancer, and no one would have said a word. Well, no one sensible, which I guess means that the Trump die hards would have been excoriating him, but I digress.

If he had done that, though, McConnell wouldn't have brought the bill up, because 49 votes is not enough to pass. They would have just kept arm twisting for the one more they needed.

Instead, he made a big show of asking Ryan for assurances and coming back to the Capitol, which in turn spurred McConnell to bring it to a vote, especially because he was playing coy ("Watch the show") until it was too late to call the whole thing off without losing a lot of face.

Then he made a big production of torpedoing it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tshile said:

I also can't help but wonder if he was the sacrifice. I can imagine meetings the past few days with groups of GOP senators that go something like this:
McCain, you aren't going to be here much longer. We all stand to lose in a primary if we vote no to this. We'll all vote yes, you vote no. If you even manage to run for reelection it probably won't hurt you anyways; certainly not as much as it would hurt us.

Seeing some of the video from last night, i realize this probably isn't the case but it was one of my many cynical thoughts about McCain this morning listening to the news.

Just random thoughts. Not deeply tied to any of them.

This doesn't seem far-fetched to me at all.  Plausible, if not likely,

1 hour ago, Larry said:

Y'know what I bet really burns Trump about all this?  

McCain probably gets more publicity out of this than he does. 

Well, they are calling him a hero (again). Draft Dodger Trump can't stand people who are respected more than him. That's why he likes guys who didn't finish at the bottom of their class and then get caught in Vietnam. Those are the real losers. 

6 hours ago, No Excuses said:

This is the best thing you will watch all day.

I'm quoting this because A) it's great, and B ) the below explanation ties in pretty well to what's going through everyone's mind in the video.

Yes, Murk and Collins deserve a ton of credit, but McCain might have just pulled the biggest backdoor move in quite some time.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, LadySkinsFan said:

End of fiscal year is September 30. So two months. Then more shenanigans starting October 1st

Don't open enrollments and renewals start October 1 too?  And once people are on insurance they probably won't kick people off in a new bill, so it helps keep people insured for another year while the GOP gets its act together (though I'm still tremendously skeptical they can get their act together).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, DogofWar1 said:

Don't open enrollments and renewals start October 1 too?  And once people are on insurance they probably won't kick people off in a new bill, so it helps keep people insured for another year while the GOP gets its act together (though I'm still tremendously skeptical they can get their act together).

My company's insurance is already out.  We have to find a new provider by the end of the year.  They cited uncertainty in the market for their exit.