Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CONCACAF 2014 World Cup Qualification - Play Resumes June 4

renaissance

let's not get carried away

My thinking is while you are correct, at some point we can't keep bringing out 35-40 year old goalies. We have to get younger.

That's nothing compared places in South America. Bolivia,Equador, and Venezuela all play at high altitude(completely on purpose). There's a reason teams don't win alot on the road in that confederation. Peru actually has the highest stadium but it doesn't host qualifiers. If they ever brought it up to FIFA regulations Peru would probably win every home qualifier because players would collapse. A club team plays in the stadium and teams fall apart playing them there. A few years ago FIFA and South America had a whole Altitude controversy thing go down. There's a High altitude football controvery wikipedia page if you want to read more about it. Training in Denver was a good idea though. We needed a place that could host a qualifer that was preferably at high altitude. Funny enough thats the reason Colorado and Real Salt Lake are usually so tough at home. High altitude stadiums.

My wife is from Peru. Lima, the capital is on the coast of the Pacific Ocean, so there is no real advantage there. I'm guessing you are talking about playing in Cuzco. It's a very small city and when we went there, they had us drink coca tea to combat the altitude, but the altitude didn't effect me as we were walking around. But then again, I'm not running full speed for 90+ minutes either. What shocked me was, when we took the train to Aguas Calientes, they said that Machu Picchu is actually lower in altitude then Cuzco. We were riding downhill.

My thinking is while you are correct, at some point we can't keep bringing out 35-40 year old goalies. We have to get younger.

Bill Hamid and Sean Johnson are likely the next generation. It's just a matter of getting to that point. I hope they both get Gold Cup starts over the likes of Howard, Guzan, and Rimando.

Personally, I think Timmy Chandler and Fabian Johnson missing at FB are huge loses. Not only on defense, but for the threat going forward. Really affects the offensive threat we can provide. I think them in there makes a huge difference for the team as a whole moving forward and pushing further up.

And there is no way Jones is a worthwhile miss when you have a guy like Edu playing in his place.

correct on chandler and johnson. Not sure I'm applauding how Edu played. He's a liability, almost conceded a PK at the end.

---------- Post added March-27th-2013 at 12:23 PM ----------

Guzan made the saves he needed to. However, no way Howard allows a free kick to land square in the middle of the 6 yard box and skip to Chicharito (thankfully he failed to convert). Jones in the midfield. Beasley is not going to be our starting LB. That is 3 regular starters. I imagine that our back line will be quite different in the WC. I also imagine our midfield will change a bit as well.

The MF may change, but it's not like we'll find a superstar (unless LD comes back), so for all intents and purposes, it's the same midfield.

---------- Post added March-27th-2013 at 12:25 PM ----------

Guzan made the saves he needed to. However, no way Howard allows a free kick to land square in the middle of the 6 yard box and skip to Chicharito (thankfully he failed to convert). Jones in the midfield. Beasley is not going to be our starting LB. That is 3 regular starters. I imagine that our back line will be quite different in the WC. I also imagine our midfield will change a bit as well.

The MF may change, but it's not like we'll find a superstar (unless LD comes back), so for all intents and purposes, it's the same midfield.

---------- Post added March-27th-2013 at 12:30 PM ----------

The thinking used to be that mid 30s was the prime age for pro-keepers—they'd seen enough, experienced enough, got smart enough, and still had enough athleticism to be at their most effective. But in the last decade, you've got the Spanish keepers like Casillas, Valdes, and Reina all hitting their prime in their 20s.

I couldn't stay up. I watched the 1st half and my heart sank about 5 times thinking Mexico would score. Went to bed and I was sure I would wake up to a 2-0 defeat. Surprised me when I saw 0-0. From what you guys have described, it sounds like we played better in the 2nd half.

I couldn't stay up. I watched the 1st half and my heart sank about 5 times thinking Mexico would score. Went to bed and I was sure I would wake up to a 2-0 defeat. Surprised me when I saw 0-0. From what you guys have described, it sounds like we played better in the 2nd half.
And Mexico got VERY frustrated. And we somehow got away with a blatant penalty. But after all the phantom penalties called on us over the last 2 decades in away qualifiers, we are owed several dozen more non-calls :ols:

And Mexico got VERY frustrated. And we somehow got away with a blatant penalty. But after all the phantom penalties called on us over the last 2 decades in away qualifiers, we are owed several dozen more non-calls :ols:

that's basically what my argument with my brother is about. He said we have two cheap wins... which I won't argue... but damned if Sam's Army didn't earn that over the years.

I must say.... Again, every time I see Edu play he finds some way to screw up. Too often he would try to dribble out of the back and lose the ball. And THEN you can include that HORRIBLE tackle in the box into the back of the legs of the Mexican player. He is so lucky a PK wasnt called. And Edu has at least one of those moments EVERY game. Cant stand the guy.

Stuart Holden needs to return ASAP

---------- Post added March-27th-2013 at 01:12 PM ----------

Personally, I think Timmy Chandler and Fabian Johnson missing at FB are huge loses. Not only on defense, but for the threat going forward. Really affects the offensive threat we can provide. I think them in there makes a huge difference for the team as a whole moving forward and pushing further up.

And there is no way Jones is a worthwhile miss when you have a guy like Edu playing in his place.

I love Timmy Chandler, but I am not sure he is better than Geoff Cameron. I think Chandler may be a good option at defensive midfield. Fabian Johnson is a huge upgrade over Beasley (who, to his credit, played his heart out). Ultimately I see a Bradley/Holden midfield. Especially if Stuart can regain the form he had before those two horrific injuries.

---------- Post added March-27th-2013 at 01:13 PM ----------

Howard will be the goalie if we make the World Cup

The thing is when Mexican media broke down the tackle from all angles its not as blantant as it first appeared. I was like clinically dead for 4 seconds when that tackle happened because I was waiting for it. But honestly the Mexican media were mixed on the call surprisingly. The key is the foot coming in and the ball goes flying went makes it appear the foot a got the ball before the player got taken down. The ref was consistent on calls. He only gave you a call for a point blank obvious take down.

The thing is when Mexican media broke down the tackle from all angles its not as blantant as it first appeared. I was like clinically dead for 4 seconds when that tackle happened because I was waiting for it. But honestly the Mexican media were mixed on the call surprisingly. The key is the foot coming in and the ball goes flying went makes it appear the foot a got the ball before the player got taken down. The ref was consistent on calls. He only gave you a call for a point blank obvious take down.

Yeah, I would say the ref we had was the most fair that I can remember. More then fair, as I feel he would have had every right to call the PK on the Edu tackle. Even IF he didnt foul him, to slide into a guy from BEHIND in the BOX shows his idiocy. I feel about Edu like I did about Ricardo Clark... I wont be happy until he is off the team.

Yeah, I would say the ref we had was the most fair that I can remember. More then fair, as I feel he would have had every right to call the PK on the Edu tackle. Even IF he didnt foul him, to slide into a guy from BEHIND in the BOX shows his idiocy. I feel about Edu like I did about Ricardo Clark... I wont be happy until he is off the team.

Word is that ref is one that FIFA really likes.

I wish I could post the link(at work) but the Mexican announcers basically pointed out that in the sequence Aquino kicks the ground hard and sends a chunk flying. In the process the ball goes flying out of bounds and Edu didn't touch the ball. In fact they say if anything it should have been a goal kick. Aquino wasn't down because of contact but because well if anyone has played soccer and jammed their foot into the ground on a full follow through it hurts like hell.

I wish I could post the link(at work) but the Mexican announcers basically pointed out that in the sequence Aquino kicks the ground hard and sends a chunk flying. In the process the ball goes flying out of bounds and Edu didn't touch the ball. In fact they say if anything it should have been a goal kick. Aquino wasn't down because of contact but because well if anyone has played soccer and jammed their foot into the ground on a full follow through it hurts like hell.

it was clearly a foul. clearly. glad it wasn't called, and i do think we are still owed a few, but you can't reason that one away.

it was clearly a foul. clearly. glad it wasn't called, and i do think we are still owed a few, but you can't reason that one away.

No there is still a foul but the foul never influenced the play which is how the ref took it. If you look from the their angle (side and front) you'll what they saw. Ones watching on TV only saw the view from the back. He could have called after the fact foul on the tackle but the tackle itself did not influence the play/shot.

No there is still a foul but the foul never influenced the play which is how the ref took it. If you look from the their angle (side and front) you'll what they saw. Ones watching on TV only saw the view from the back. He could have called after the fact foul on the tackle but the tackle itself did not influence the play/shot.

i did see other angles, and that is a PK 99% of the time.

i did see other angles, and that is a PK 99% of the time.

Well I will say this. The ref has two jobs in the game (True story. This is what they are told.). First, protect the players. Second, protect the integrity of the game. By time Edu hits him the ball is heading out of bounds. Aquino reacted before impact. The ball is already gone when Edu makes contact. Like I said he can call after the fact foul and a penalty. Or he could let the play go on. He made the correct decision. The tackle did not change the outcome of the play. It was reckless but it did not have any effect on the shot nor the play's outcome. If you look it should have been a goal kick but they got a corner instead. To call a penalty in a game like that when you will basically determine the outcome when the tackle had no impact on the play's result would have been extremely harsh. The ref is right there and can see Edu's tackle did not affect the shot.

just for fun note: FIFA 13 doesn't agree with the 99%. Cuz it owes me a ton of penalties then.LOL

Someone is done sulking in the corner:

Donovan, Sabbatical Over, Is Eager to Return to the U.S. Team

Lest anyone think that Landon Donovan’s recent sabbatical from soccer diminished his desire to play for the United States, Donovan said Thursday that he would even be willing to change positions if it meant being called in by Coach Jurgen Klinsmann.
“I very clearly understand that no coach really wants to hear what I had to say or what I did over the last three months,” Donovan said. “I am itching to represent my country again and be part of it. I also understand very clearly that some decisions I have made are going to make that a difficult task. But I’m excited to take them on.”

Would be fantastic if he can come back and add to our non-existent attack in the remaining Hex games.

Updating-

Current Hex standings agains the "Win at home, tie on the road" theory.

USA- Minus 1

Costa Rica- Minus 1

Mexico- Minus 1

Honduras- Minus 2

Jamaica- Minus 2

Panama- Minus 2

Today was a very good day for our qualifyinng chances.

If we can manage a point Tuesday, we'll be sitting pretty.

Current standings using this method-

USA- Minus 1

Costa Rica- Minus 1

Panama- Minus 2

Jamaica- Minus 3

Honduras- Minus 3

Mexico- Minus 3

Use the next 2 months to heal up and head to Jamaica. Our first 4 games scheduled were/are brutal. If we can get any result in Jamaica, JK critic should finally shut up. All with a B team at best.

• 1 month later...

Landon Donovan not part of U.S. roster for upcoming qualifiers

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130514/landon-donovan-not-in-usmnt-roster-klinsmann/#ixzz2TKK1cO48

wow.

Im stunned. Im a WIN NOW kind of guy, and clearly Donovan helps us win now. So I have to question keeping him off to set a standard etc in order to make the Natl Team better for the next decade. But certainly there has to be a middle ground?

Landon Donovan not part of U.S. roster for upcoming qualifiers

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer/news/20130514/landon-donovan-not-in-usmnt-roster-klinsmann/#ixzz2TKK1cO48

wow.

Im stunned. Im a WIN NOW kind of guy, and clearly Donovan helps us win now. So I have to question keeping him off to set a standard etc in order to make the Natl Team better for the next decade. But certainly there has to be a middle ground?

He hasn't played well. Two missed penalties and doesn't look anything like the LD we know since coming back. First you abandon socccer to find yourself and then come back looking like crap. I may disagree with JK sometimes but I don't have any problem with leaving off a player who hasn't performed well. If any other player not named LD was playing like he is we wouldn't even have them in the conversation for being called up for the qualifiers.

He hasn't played well. Two missed penalties and doesn't look anything like the LD we know since coming back. First you abandon socccer to find yourself and then come back looking like crap. I may disagree with JK sometimes but I don't have any problem with leaving off a player who hasn't performed well. If any other player not named LD was playing like he is we wouldn't even have them in the conversation for being called up for the qualifiers.

Borrowed from BS-

"Forget this is Landon Donovan for a second and ignore the reasons why Landon Donovan missed the games that he did (since again that would be more relevant to sending a message rather than judging form), and just ask yourself if this was some random player who last season had a successful loan spell for a top half Premier League team where he was voted player of the month, then had an MLS Best XI season where he led the league plus post-season in assists and led his club to a championship, and played six games for the national team, in two of which he looked quite strong (even scoring a hat trick in one) -- if I then told you that he's started only four games this season, because he was unavailable prior to that, and that he had a man of the match performance in one of those games but looked less than impressive in the others, would you say that on form that player should not even be on a 23 man roster because those three or four games are so likely to predict his usefulness in these qualifiers that they outweigh all indications to the contrary exhibited 6 months prior? Especially when he can play a position (out on the wing) that we may not even have enough starting options for otherwise?"

Timmy Chandler strung JK along in similar fashion, but got inserted right into the lineup.

You're telling me Donovan in his current form, is somehow a WORSE option than a guy like Sacha? Or Danny Williams?

I think Donovan is a soft player. I think he was a total wimp for not trying to stay in Europe. I think he was happy being big fish in small pond and therefor never reached his true potential.

BUT. The US is infinitely better for these next 3 WCQs with him in the lineup.

Archived