Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SportingNews.com: NFL rankings: Coaches queue starts with Tom Coughlin, Bill Belichick (in other words, it's a power ranking of the coaches lol)

http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-05-24/nfl-coach-ranking-tom-coughlin-bill-belichick-mike-mccarthy-mike-tomlin

NFC East coaches and where they rank:

1. Tom Coughlin, New York Giants

No present coach has a better knack for getting his team to play best when it counts the most. He has won two Super Bowls as the underdog. He has won two NFC championship games on the road. And he has done it in the pressure-cooker of the New York media market.

Coughlin is the NFL's oldest coach—he turns 66 in August—but shows no sign of slowing down. It has never been better to be Coughlin.

Overall record (16 years): 142-114. Record with Giants: 74-54. Playoff record: 11-7. Super Bowl record: 2-0.

8. Andy Reid, Philadelphia Eagles

The league's longest-tenured coach enters this season on the hot seat, despite reaching five NFC title games over 13 yeas in Philadelphia. “I don't think Andy Reid gets his just due," Woody said.

Overall record (13 years): 126-81-1. Playoff record: 10-9. Super Bowl record: 0-1.

16. Mike Shanahan, Washington Redskins

He won big with John Elway, but that was a long time ago. Shanahan must win with Robert Griffin III — or else.

Overall record (18 years): 157-119. Record with Redskins: 11-21. Playoff record: 8-5. Super Bowl record: 2-0.

23. Jason Garrett, Dallas Cowboys

Garrett must do better in close games, when his play calling tends to become too conservative.

Overall record (2 years): 13-11.

So, wait, Shanahan has better numbers than Reid in every category except the last two seasons rebuilding a miserably managed franchise, yet, they rank Reid higher? And THAT much higher? Shanahan gets knocked for his lack of Super Bowls since Elway (and is a massive factor in his ranking according to this fool), yet Reid never even won a single one and that's not a factor for him? :doh:

I hate these things.

So, wait, Shanahan has better numbers than Reid in every category except the last two seasons rebuilding a miserably managed franchise, yet, they rank Reid higher? And THAT much higher? Shanahan gets knocked for his lack of Super Bowls since Elway (and is a massive factor in his ranking according to this fool), yet Reid never even won a single one and that's not a factor for him? :doh:

I hate these things.

This is the appropriate response for any NFL fan with the slightest amount of critical thinking skills. Unfortunately, not many of these fans work in media.

So we get this garbage masquerading as journalism. On the bright side it does provide plenty of fodder for ES posters to rip into lol

If Griffin works out, Shanahan will be in the top 10 next year. If Griffin becomes a franchise QB and we make the playoffs once before he leaves, he'll probably cracked top 5.

Kind of silly that Reid is all the way at 8 considering last year. Then again, the Redskins, and everyone associated with them, get zero respect.

Tom Coughlin was about to get fired 6 months ago, now all of a sudden he's the greatest coach in the NFL. Talk about knee jerk, it's like those idiots at ESPN that think Eli Manning is anything close to an elite QB.

ESPN power rankings are the worse, I could argue and complain about these rankings all day if I could.

The Harbaughs are ranked 5 and 6. Jim gets the six spot because he had one good year with the 49ers. SN said that "his success at Stanford is translating to the NFL." :puke:

John Fox ranks 7th because he now has Peyton Manning as a quarterback. Seriously:

Fox has been underrated because he doesn't call attention to himself. Working with Peyton Manning gives him a shot to win a title.

Marvin Lewis is 11th.

He took a young team to the playoffs last season, and the future looks bright. It's time for him to win a playoff game.

Overall record (9 years): 69-74-1. Playoff record: 0-3.

Rex Ryan is 13th because of Tebow.

Let's see: There's Tebow-mania, potential locker room issues and the New York media. Ryan has lost 90 pounds, but there's still plenty on his plate.

Overall record (3 years): 28-20. Playoff record: 4-2.

:doh: :puke: :doh:

Tom Coughlin was about to get fired 6 months ago, now all of a sudden he's the greatest coach in the NFL. Talk about knee jerk, it's like those idiots at ESPN that think Eli Manning is anything close to an elite QB.

ESPN power rankings are the worse, I could argue and complain about these rankings all day if I could.

I agree 100% about power rankings. You just can't take them seriously at all.

However, IMHO the knee jerk reaction was the media ever implying or (even if they were stating a fact) that Coughlin was about to be fired. Tom Coughlin did what he was suppose to do. He led his team to the Super Bowl. Where else would he be ranked on these stupid things 4 months later?

Also, I am curious to know just what you have Eli close to being?

I do not have huge issues with the first four on the list. After that, however, is a different story.

I would think that if u had been the coach on two SB teams, that u would get a bit more respect. Mike should have been ranked within the top ten based on His overall record, and SB wins. A premise of the list is who would u want on the sideline if u had to win one game? Well, There are not too many coaches on that list who r ahead of Shanny that i would prefer on our sidelines. Seriously, Marvin Lewis at 11? Mike smith who can't get out of the first round of the playoffs at 15? Jim Harbaugh is waaay to high based on only one season. I keep hearing on espn about the genius that is Wisenhunt but have yet to see it...i mean if Shanny gets ripped for only winning with Elway then what about Ken? At least Shanny won two SBs with his franchise qb. Wisenhunt is lost without Kurt.

One thing i know for sure, friggin Norv should be at bottom of the list as a head coach.....marty got fired for not being able to win in the playoffs, at least he got the Bolts to that point.

At least they did not put Garrett higher......

As has been said in other threads, it is always amusing how much it is held against Shanahan that he only won his two Super Bowls when he had Elway.

As if he is the only coach to hold the distinction of having the same QB when winning his multiple SBs. :ols:

Fact is, our beloved Joe Gibbs is the only head coach to win multiple SBs with different QBs. All the others from Chuck Noll to Tom Landry to Bill Walsh to Bill Belicheck (even the great Vince Lombardi) ALSO had the same QB when winning their SBs.

(You could make the case that Parcells also won 2 SBs with 2 different QBs, Simms and Hostettler (sp), but it was Simms that got him to that second one).

Why having Elway for his SB runs is held against Shanahan in a negative way is a mystery to me.

Why having Elway for his SB runs is held against Shanahan in a negative way is a mystery to me.

I generally don't pull the "anti-Redskin bias" line, but I have to think that that would not have been brought up had he signed on to be, say, the Cowboys head coach.

I generally don't pull the "anti-Redskin bias" line, but I have to think that that would not have been brought up had he signed on to be, say, the Cowboys head coach.

Maybe not as the Cowboys HC, but only because they're media favorites.

I think the main reason Shanahan gets treated so poorly by the media is the way he treats them. Not that I mind it at all, I hate the media myself....but most of the time what Shanny says in pressers is about the dullest rhetoric you'll hear from a head coach.

"It's all about competition. We hope to have guys competing at every spot."

*insert media question about a player's injury rehab*

"He's going to compete. Things are coming together competition wise. I really like the depth we have on our football team."

*insert juicier media question about any upcoming Front Office decision*

"I'm not going to get into details. We're going to watch film, and make a decision that's in the best interest of our football team"

He's not exactly quotable lmao

You can really tell he dislikes the whole show, and is simply trying to avoid giving them anything controversial to print....especially after cardiogate.

It's more a matter of a hate hate relationship with the media, than anti Redskin bias in this case, imo. Not that said bias doesn't exist ;p

rankings like this are always a joke

Shanahan and Coughlin have about the same statistics

however, Shanahan is labeled as "never winning without Elway" while Coughlin is praised for his very recent success with one QB, Eli Manning...

the greatness of things can be so skewed over time

Reid deserves to be highly rated. He's been a consistantly good coach that has produced winners and gotten deep into the playoffs. I don't think people should treat him likely. He's a step below those classic Bills and Vikings teams of the 70's and 80's. He's a poor man's Marv Levy. That ain't bad. In fact, it's pretty good. He's on that Marty Schottenheimer level.

If I had to win the biggest game he's not the coach I would want, but I would be comfortable marching with him through a regular season. He has a really good touch with qbs, usually has wicked defenses, and hates the running game.

I would never call him an elite coach, but I would put him in the category of very good.

As for Shanny, today, on the Redskins... I'm waiting and I can't tell you yet who he is going to be. I see a disciplined, hard fighting team, but I don't see the wins yet. Historically, sure, Shanny wins, but here and now... and I want to see it. Shanny has proven how good a coach Gibbs really is/was, but I hope he hasn't shown us yet how a good a coach he is.

Power rankings are not journalism, they are opinion pieces. As such personal biases and perceptions will have major influences on the outcome. Heck even real journalism now a days is 50% opinion and bias.

---------- Post added May-26th-2012 at 06:20 AM ----------

Reid deserves to be highly rated. He's been a consistantly good coach that has produced winners and gotten deep into the playoffs. I don't think people should treat him likely. He's a step below those classic Bills and Vikings teams of the 70's and 80's. He's a poor man's Marv Levy. That ain't bad. In fact, it's pretty good. He's on that Marty Schottenheimer level.

If I had to win the biggest game he's not the coach I would want, but I would be comfortable marching with him through a regular season. He has a really good touch with qbs, usually has wicked defenses, and hates the running game.

I would never call him an elite coach, but I would put him in the category of very good.

As for Shanny, today, on the Redskins... I'm waiting and I can't tell you yet who he is going to be. I see a disciplined, hard fighting team, but I don't see the wins yet. Historically, sure, Shanny wins, but here and now... and I want to see it. Shanny has proven how good a coach Gibbs really is/was, but I hope he hasn't shown us yet how a good a coach he is.

Disagree with your take on Reid. He relied heavily on Johnson as his D coordinator. Since he has been gone Philly has been compensating with massive FA contracts. Reid brings a stable locker room and is a good leader, but his gameday preparedness is lacking IMHO.

---------- Post added May-26th-2012 at 06:21 AM ----------

QUOTE]

Disagree with your take on Reid. He relied heavily on Johnson as his D coordinator. Since he has been gone Philly has been compensating with massive FA contracts. Reid brings a stable locker room and is a good leader, but his gameday preparedness is lacking IMHO.

Yeah, Johnson was a huge part of it. Certainly, they fell backwards last year defensively, but I think historically with the Eagles you have to put him in the good to very good range of coaches. Certainly not great, but a step below.

One thing i know for sure, friggin Norv should be at bottom of the list as a head coach.....marty got fired for not being able to win in the playoffs, at least he got the Bolts to that point.

The Chargers have been in the playoffs three times under Norv......now, you can argue that it was with a Marty-built team, but.......just sayin'

This power ranking largely reflects "what have you done for me lately." Even after Elway, Shanahan was having seasons in Denver that would have him easily in the top 10, but fact is that he hasn't been in the playoffs in his past five seasons. On the other hand, I don't see how Jim Harbaugh gets placed at #6 based on one season. Seems like you should at least have some sort of track record......

Here's my question. Basically, they try to say Shanny sucks as a coach because he hasn't won without Elway. Well.....Coughlin hasn't won without Eli so why don't the "experts" say he is a lousy coach and can only win with Eli?

My guess is that with the coaching rankings put emphasis on what each coach has done "lately" (like over the last several seasons), with secondary emphasis on what they've done as a whole over their careers. Shanahan hasn't done much at all over the last several years, at least record-wise...which would rank him rather low. But over the course of his career he's shown himself to be a top 10 coach most seasons...which would rank him relatively high. #16 is what results from taking those two things into consideration. I personally think he should get some more leeway considering exactly how effed up the Redskins were when he took over, but then again power rankings are rarely accurate in that regard.

As for the rest of the list, I agree with everyone else. Waaaaaay too many headscratchers.

My other questions are: What did Chuck Noll win without Bradshaw and what did Walsh win without Montana? To me that is just a stupid, short sighted thing to say about Shanny and Elway. Esp since anyone with half a brain knew we were going to be down for at least a few years while he basically rebuilt the team from the ground up. Saying he isn't good for not winning right now shows a serious lack of depth in analysis.

Here's my question. Basically, they try to say Shanny sucks as a coach because he hasn't won without Elway. Well.....Coughlin hasn't won without Eli so why don't the "experts" say he is a lousy coach and can only win with Eli?

My take on it was that the writer was saying Shanahan hasn't won anything SINCE Elway...not without Elway. Meaning, it's been a looong time...

However, the list doesn't mention that Shanahan made it to the conference championship game relatively recently as a positive, as if Shanny has accomplished nothing since those two SBs...but mentions Reid's having made it to conference championships as a mark of accomplishment.

I was just saying that in general, not necessarily to this article. Overall, that is what you see. Shanny hasn't won without Elway as the template they use. Of course, most still use the template of Danny signing every free agent in the books. I wish writers would not comment on the Skins since they don't know anything about them as opposed to making up stuff to fill up space.

I was just saying that in general, not necessarily to this article. Overall, that is what you see. Shanny hasn't won without Elway as the template they use. Of course, most still use the template of Danny signing every free agent in the books. I wish writers would not comment on the Skins since they don't know anything about them as opposed to making up stuff to fill up space.

The media definitely uses some worn out templates for their articles about the Redskins, no doubt...they need to toss them (thankfully, some have, like the guy who does the NFC East blog for ESPN.com).

Archived