Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SportingNews.com: NFL rankings: Coaches queue starts with Tom Coughlin, Bill Belichick (in other words, it's a power ranking of the coaches lol)

Push comes to shove, the only coach I'd rather have than Shanahan is Belicheck. Take the coaching and separate it from the team building/situation part of the organization and Shanahan is one of the very finest in the business. Where he's gotten into trouble is on the team building end.

Even still, I think it's very short sighted to judge Shanahan as a team builder for the Redskins based on just the first two seasons. The third offseason is where we set the keystone, suggesting our fortunes will be very different going forward. I truly believe he's put the pieces in place for a future top five offense, one that should be spectacularly successful. That's how he's ultimately going to be judged down the road. Not off of his first two seasons of building.

Essentially, he's done here what he started to do in Denver in 2006-2008 before Bowlen made the terrible mistake of firing him and hiring Mishandles, who promptly came in and dismantled a top 3 offense comprised of core players under the age of 24. Epically disastrous. By 2008, that Jay Cutler/Ryan Clady/Brandon Marshall offense was unstoppable. How ironic that just as a truly special offense started to come together for him Shanahan got fired in a knee jerk moment by one of the most patient and loyal owners in the NFL. Can't say I'm disappointed though because it's worked out for us.

Tell me that an RGIII/Trent/Hankerson core doesn't feel eerily similar to that. Only more talented. And more coachable. Trent is more talented than Clady, possibly the most talented OL in the entire league. Shanahan even said as much. And Cam Newton and Mike Vick are just about the only QBs in the league as talented as RGIII. Shanahan said he's the most talented QB he's ever seen. Hank over Marshall? Probably not, but it wouldn't surprise me if he became a big time player in his own right. Marshall kind of came out of nowhere as an unheralded mid round pick too. Head to toe Hank isn't as big as Marshall, but you don't catch footballs with your head, and wingtip to wingtip Hankerson is almost as big as any other NFL receiver, plus he's probably got some of the biggest hands for a receiver in the league. Then all of the ancillary pieces are nice. Good eggs like Hightower, Moss, Cooley, and Garcon. This group just feels special.

Now lets hope the defense doesn't fall apart on him like it did in Denver. And he doesn't have as bad of luck with injuries in the running game.

**** Tom Coughlin. He's constantly the #1 on the list of "coach nobody wants to play for" and Giants fans are typically calling for him to get fired at some point midseason (like they were after they lost to us and went to 7-7). It's not thanks to Coughlin the Giants got every single big break possible in their last 2 super bowl runs.

Ok, I don't think anything else needs to be said. I find it so ironic that everyone else in the league can get credit for anything and all we ever hear is bottom of the division and maybe we'll have a shot in the future. I just wonder, is this the same future that has dallass as a playoff team and solid Superbowl contender every season.

I think the main reason Shanahan gets treated so poorly by the media is the way he treats them. Not that I mind it at all, I hate the media myself....but most of the time what Shanny says in pressers is about the dullest rhetoric you'll hear from a head coach.

The thing is, if that were the case, the sports media would loathe Belicheck, for you're lucky to get two word answers out of him in a PC. :ols:

However, they seem to worship him and the Patriots. Belicheck has never won anything without Brady (and wasn't very good in Cleveland). How come they don't hold him to the same standard they seem to hold Shanahan to?

The thing is, if that were the case, the sports media would loathe Belicheck, for you're lucky to get two word answers out of him in a PC. :ols:

However, they seem to worship him and the Patriots. Belicheck has never won anything without Brady (and wasn't very good in Cleveland). How come they don't hold him to the same standard they seem to hold Shanahan to?

NFL-Not For Long

It's a what have you done for me lately kind of league. It's the same reason Coughlin has been on the hotseat every other year and now he's apparently the top coach in the league.

the rankins and descriptions are pretty weak overall, but i didnt expect much from a power ranking. no one has the time or knowledge to accurately access what each coach has had to do with his franchise and how much of their success can be pinned on them.

as aforementioned, the guys who are high on the list (and pretty much any other coach), had a string of success related to one qb. that is why gibbs was so special, he won with multiple qb's, truly impressive.

i cant say enough about shanahan though, him and allen have turned this franchise from a poorly run basement dweller to what i think will be the class of the East for the next decade.

Tom Coughlin was about to get fired 6 months ago, now all of a sudden he's the greatest coach in the NFL. Talk about knee jerk, it's like those idiots at ESPN that think Eli Manning is anything close to an elite QB.

ESPN power rankings are the worse, I could argue and complain about these rankings all day if I could.

Results don't lie. I'm not a Giants fan but I recognize that Coughlin has earned the right to be #1.

Results don't lie. I'm not a Giants fan but I recognize that Coughlin has earned the right to be #1.

What? No he hasn't. When a guy loses the locker room every other week, is on the hot seat more often than not, and isn't respected outside of this dumbass article, he hasn't.

Coughlin is the Mr. Magoo of NFL coaches. I wouldn't take him, ever.

Coughlin won 2 superbowls and he doesn't lose his lockeroom lol. its the media who brings that up every single time

Tom Coughlin was there for two Super Bowls, yes. Like Gruden was there, except he did it twice. Good for him. That's an accomplishment that many will never have.

However, he had nothing to do with it. Eli, as much as it pains me to say it, won those games. Coughlin should not be confused with other Super Bowl-winning coaches. I could, literally, name 25 or so coaches who were in the Super Bowl that I'd rather have than Tom Coughlin. Maybe more.

Coughlin isn't tops in the league, and I'd still take Shanahan over him any day of the week. Shanahan inherited Jim Zorn. Coughlin inherited a playoff team that had just been to a Super Bowl.

Oh, and with a piece of **** owner.

Maybe Coughlin shouldn't be #1 but the way some of you talk, he shouldn't even be considered as one of the top coaches in the league. The Giants have been solid for his eight years there and he was pretty good for a while in Jacksonville as well. And before we beat our chests about the QB thing, how many recent SB-appearing coches HAVEN'T had a premier QB?

If you want to complain about Coughlin, fine.......but then present a list of current HCs that you think are better.

I wouldn't mind Coughlin in the top 10, but I don't really think any coach who was a couple losses away from being fired the previous year should be #1. It makes the rankings look like knee jerk reactions based on how the season went, and you almost might as well just list them in reverse draft order.

Coughlin gets results when it counts, so that's worth a top 10 ranking, but #1 just seems high. I'd rank Belichick, McCarthy, and Tomlin higher. Coughlin and Harbaugh are pretty close IMO, on the one hand, Harbaugh is a better regular season coach, but Coughlin does have the SB rings.

I know a lot of Giant fans, and as unscientific as it is, they do not like him at all and really seem like they will be happy when he is gone. I get the feeling from them that the team wins in spite of him, not because of.

The Harbaughs are ranked 5 and 6. Jim gets the six spot because he had one good year with the 49ers. SN said that "his success at Stanford is translating to the NFL." :puke:

John Fox ranks 7th because he now has Peyton Manning as a quarterback. Seriously:

Marvin Lewis is 11th.

Rex Ryan is 13th because of Tebow.

:doh: :puke: :doh:

All of those seriously remove any legitimacy from these rankings. Lost 90 lbs? Serious? If that's the case, then Jason Garret should be #1 for Cowboys state of the art stadium.

I know a lot of Giant fans, and as unscientific as it is, they do not like him at all and really seem like they will be happy when he is gone. I get the feeling from them that the team wins in spite of him, not because of.

All biases aside, I think that's true.

I do think the player's like him. I don't think he "loses the lockerroom." I don't think he's a great motivator or leader of men though.

Why? Because the best teams in the NFL, and the best coaches in the NFL, are always going to be motivated to play their best football all the time, every week, and it shows up on the field. The elite teams in the NFL that remain elite not only have outstanding quarterbacks, but also really, really good head coaches. i think the two go together far more than people give them credit for. Great head coaches motivate their players to always play their best and avoid putting their team in bad situations. They're leaders of men.

Now, even the best teams drop a game to a bad team. The Saints laid an egg versus the Rams this year. The Packers got beat by the Chiefs. The Ravens lost to the Jags. No one is perfect.

The Giants lost to an injured Tarvaris Jackson and an average Seahawks team.

They lost to us. TWICE. And the second time, we completely spanked their asses, despite not really getting the run game going, despite injuries, despite being without our left tackle and our best offensive weapon.

They lost to the Vince Young led Philadelphia Eagles. VINCE YOUNG.

They got rocked by the Saints.

And then they only squeaked out victories against the likes of the Bills, Dolphins, and Arizona.

The only time the Giants play hard is when Coughlin's job is on the line. But being motivated by the fact that the boss you like might get fired isn't the right kind of motivation. It's like slacking off on your favorite teacher until the school says he's fired if you don't past the test. If you're good enough to pass when you need to, you should be good enough to pass all the time.

The Giants have Eli Manning, and the will to motivate themselves. Coughlin is like a slightly more successful version of Norv Turner. Norv's team just can't motivate themselves, and Norv can't motivate them, so they flounder. Coughlin doesn't seem like a great motivator unless he's in immediate danger of losing his job.

Yeah, I also don't get the bias and negative viewpoints of Shanahan "only" winning super bowls with Elway. The same crap can be said about any great coach. How many championships did Belicheat win without Brady? How many championships did Jimmy Johnson win without Aikman? Walsh without Montana? Caughlin never won **** without Eli, and he's constantly been on the hot seat, save for two miracle finishes where his team beat the odds and won the super bowl. Yet, it seems like it's Shanahan that gets knocked for not winning multiple SB's with different QB's. That argument gets real old, real quick.

The Harbaughs are ranked 5 and 6. Jim gets the six spot because he had one good year with the 49ers. SN said that "his success at Stanford is translating to the NFL." :puke:

John Fox ranks 7th because he now has Peyton Manning as a quarterback. Seriously:

Marvin Lewis is 11th.

Rex Ryan is 13th because of Tebow.

:doh: :puke: :doh:

Good observations. It looked very subjective to me too.

Gary Kubiak himself knows he's not as good a coach as Shanahan.

Shanahan has had 1 winning season in 7 attempts without Gary Kubiak. With Kubiak, Shanahan had 8 winning seasons in 11 attempts, with 2 super bowls, only 1 season below 8-8, and 5 seasons with 11 or more wins. Shanahan has never been to the playoffs without Kubiak. Shanahan has also never had a top 10 offense without Kubiak as OC. Kubiak has 2 winning seasons in 6 attempts without Shanahan, including bringing the horrid Texans to a respectable 8-8 by his second season. He has had only 2 losing seasons in 6 attempts without Shanahan. His offenses have consistently been among the very best in the league, and his team was a super bowl contender last season before having the season derailed by injuries to key players.

I don't see any problem putting Kubiak above Shanahan. If the Texans offered to trade Kubiak to the Skins for Shanahan, I would take that deal no questions asked.

---------- Post added May-28th-2012 at 02:16 PM ----------

Yeah, I also don't get the bias and negative viewpoints of Shanahan "only" winning super bowls with Elway. The same crap can be said about any great coach. How many championships did Belicheat win without Brady? How many championships did Jimmy Johnson win without Aikman? Walsh without Montana? Caughlin never won **** without Eli, and he's constantly been on the hot seat, save for two miracle finishes where his team beat the odds and won the super bowl. Yet, it seems like it's Shanahan that gets knocked for not winning multiple SB's with different QB's. That argument gets real old, real quick.

The difference is that Shanahan no longer has Elway, while Belicheck still has Brady, Coughlin still has Eli, etc.

Archived