Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Robert Griffin III needs dose of reality mixed with adulation

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82942775/article/robert-griffin-iii-needs-dose-of-reality-mixed-with-adulation?module=HP11_content_stream

Robert Griffin III strolled to the podium after his first full-squad, offseason practice, looked out at the much-bigger-than-usual crowd of cameras and immediately notified the group he'd cut in front of linebacker London Fletcher in the media-meet line. And then he said, "I hope he doesn't do anything to me afterwards."

Fat chance.

Take every word ordinarily directed at a sweetheart (swooning, starry-eyed, lovestruck) and you'll have the general response at Redskins Park to the 22-year-old quarterback-slash-savior. Kate Upton wouldn't net this many googly eyes.

[...]So no, if a rookie screamed for even a benign rookie hazing, this one isn't it. But if Griffin's going to lift this moribund franchise, he's going to need help. Obviously the on-the-field kind, as in playmakers outside (see: new arrivals Garcon and Josh Morgan), but also the mental kind, as in the stuff dispensed by Santana Moss. The veteran receiver openly said Griffin won't automatically be a redux of last year's rookie wunderkind, Cam Newton, and chafed at a parsing of his words calling Griffin "The Guy."

"Don't quote me wrong. I didn't say he's going to be that 'Guy.' We got him here to be that guy. He's our guy, he's our no. 1 draft pick, he's our quarterback," Moss said. "But he has to go through the growing pains of every first-year guy."

Several times Monday, Moss watched rookie receiver Darius Hanks run a route and then went over to him, slung an arm around his shoulder and talked him through something. Sometimes Moss motioned with his arm, sometimes he showed with his feet. But never did any player do that with Griffin. It's not only about corrections either, but about these kid gloves. Moss said he won't be razzing Griffin (he wants the ball) and running back Tim Hightower scoffed at the idea, too.

Griffin desperately wants to impress these teammates. He wants to be that Redskins redeemer and he made that clear from behind that podium, saying, "When you're with the vets, it's more, 'I can help this team win.' Show them why coach has so much confidence in you."

In all honesty I'm not really sure what the point of this article was :ols:...

It is a article by an author that is trying desperately hard to say something negative about Robert, in turn she sounds passive-aggressive (although the passive aspect of it seems non-intentional, it is just that hard to say something negative about him). The media is going through the negative cycle in content coverage, which usually follows a surge of positive praise, but they are having issues with this part of the cycle.

She makes a slick comment about how he's really wearing the glove to help his grip as he transitions to under the center snaps, but he wore the same glove in college. It wouldn't have been hard to research that. Weak article.

I think she just tried to hard to write something different. At least, that's what I would say if I was her haha.

Side-note: I really hate the way this girl talks. When she speaks I want to hit someone. I'm not sure what that's about. Someone tell me im not alone in this. :box:

It looks the author is too busy throwing adulation RG3's way to stay on topic ;)

That's EXACTLY what it reads like lol :yes:...I kept looking for the part where she goes into detail as to why RG3 might be needing some "reality"...and I couldn't really find it. I thought to myself "Ok, she sounds like she's actually praising him and saying he doesn't need the reality...wtf?"

She makes a slick comment about how he's really wearing the glove to help his grip as he transitions to under the center snaps, but he wore the same glove in college. It wouldn't have been hard to research that. Weak article.

Don Banks suggested the same sort of thing in a recent article:

If Griffin took even one snap in the shot-gun formation on Monday, I missed it. It's clear the Redskins want to get him as much work under center as possible, after Baylor used him almost exclusively in the gun. Griffin even wore a yellow glove on his left, non-throwing hand in the practice bubble, perhaps to help him get used to taking center snaps.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/don_banks/05/21/robert-griffin-redskins/index.html

Is this an inside meme that's going around among reporters or something? It literally takes 5 seconds to do a google image search for Griffin and see pictures of him wearing a glove when playing at Baylor.

I might be concerned if I saw Rex taking RG3 aside and giving him tips.

I honestly don't see much that Griffin could get from Rex. I suppose some stuff with the playbook but Griffin will be doing much different stuff than Rex was; lots of PA rollouts, boots, etc. Rex was purely a pocket passer. Besides, it sounds like he is getting the playbook down pretty well so far anyway. I think all of the coaching he will need will come from Kyle, MIke, and Matt LaFleur.

Actually i disagree with the premise that merely because Rex is an average to below average qb that he has no value added with RGIII....or even our other rookie qb cousins. Assisting with NFL defensive reads, time management, snap counts, heck maybe even how to take snaps under center, how to think and act on gameday......and, of course, how not to create at least 3 turnovers per game. Rex saw all the nfc east teams last season, beat the sb champs twice including a humbling loss at home....the last giant loss of the season. In large part he knows the defenses that RGIII will face this season, and because Rex was a starting qb for two teams he provides a different perspective than that of the coaches. Who knows, maybe he will be a better coach than player.

So....think that Rex may actually bring something to the table other than a turnover......at least for one more season here.

SpacePenguin.com: NFL.com reporter needs to work on writing skills

See, I made a valid point...something this article is missing. It only took one sentence.

This article reads like a senior citizen scrapbooked some quotes from the press conference, then just rambled on. It's almost comedic, even the title is contradictory lol...

Archived