Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm Sick of FaceBook. Seriously, sick of seeing those stupid "f" things everywhere

The Curious One

I think I'm the only person I know of that doesn't have a facebook.

:ols:

no facebook, look at my wifes occasionally and dont care when u pee or what u r cooking for dinner....i like twitter tho (@gfmurphy3)....I dont tweet too often, but i like getting news quickly and i enjoy reading some of the tweets (especially @poeticchris, hes a frigging riot)....Ive spoken to Theismann, hes good about replying and i like his info...

I don't know why people get all worked about about Facebook or other networking sites. Add people you want, don't add people you don't want. It is a super easy way to stay in touch with a lot of people, especially the kind of casual acquaintances that you want to stay in touch with but you do not tend to talk to on the phone or take the time to write a detailed email.

Untrue.

At least according to the article I'd read on slash dot about it.

If you agreed to install their script on your site, this would be correct. But most organizations will just have an icon with a link to their Facebook page. There is no data being gathered by Facebook in that case.

If your site has the ability to 'Like' content or Facebook Share, then sure, "all your base are belong to us".

Not everyone on facebook is a narcasitic jackass. Most of the times, its just another means of sharing and keeping in touch with people you don't talk to as regularly.

It took me a while for me to come over to facebook, but I always had an enormous amount of respect for it an twitter after their roles played in the Arab Spring. Say what you want about fool idiots in this country or the constant marketing schemes (like was mentioned, they aren't going anyway).

But revolutions like Libya and definitely Egypt likely would not have happened if it weren't for twitter and facebook. They had to shutdown the Internet to stop it, and still didn't work because people were able to keep it going with the cell phone networks.

I lock mine down and only add people I've known at least a year. Going to take my full name down once I'm done with school and start applying to IT jobs in the DC area. Hate is a strong word, so try to reserve it for something that deserves it...

OTOH, I have probably about 1/2 of my facebook friends (acquiantences, really...) that I've blocked due to meaningless, offensive, or dumb status updates.

I can't stand posts like these (this just popped up on my feed)...

"hmmmm decisions decisions. What to do today.I guess I could finish packing my car up since I don't really have to go anywhere in the next 9 days.....maybe get all the posters off the wall as well...or I could just stay in front of the tv and not do anything......"

.........who cares??

I have a love-hate relationship with fb. On the one hand they infuriate me with their constant assaults on my privacy and the condensed discourse doesn't exactly lend itself to forming any kind of meaningful relationship with people. On the other hand it is an good way to at least pretend to keep up with friends, find long lost friends and acquaintances ("I wonder whatever happened to...."), share pics, articles, etc. Additionally it's really, really, excellent way to break down various barriers to bring people with narrow interests together. I mean how would I have ever found a way to connect with other Black agnostics/atheists in the bible belt were it not for fb and other social media? I'm sure the same is true for furries, libertarians, ravers, role players, and all sorts of other fun dorkitude. :)

In short, it's not a one stop shop for friendship and other relationships but it does go a long way towards helping form bonds and keep you connected.

I deleted mine about a year ago and you quickly realize you don't miss it. My problem is that I start the account when I FB was new and I was about 18 and I had a bunch of dumb comments. And I had a hell of a hard time deleting every single comment, picture, update, friend, whatever. It took about 2 hours to delete it and there were still things that just wouldn't go away. And I hear that everything is still there somewhere so great. And I'm 26 so it's not so get off my lawn thing!

But my brother is one of those Facebook people. Its freaking weird. People have their "Facebook drama" and they might delete their account in anger and then set it back up a couple days later, but then they're gonna DEFRIEND YOU but then they'll friend you later on.

I realized the only reason I had Facebook was to look for bikini pictures of hotties I know or used to know. Then I deleted it, because that's sad.

I realized the only reason I had Facebook was to look for bikini pictures of hotties I know or used to know. Then I deleted it, because that's sad.

lmfaoooo! Classic! Can't say I don't do the same thing. Yeah I've been thinking bout deleting mine and did a few weeks ago for like a week, but I use my fbook moreso to post provacative and intersting news stories that people should be aware of, rather than to catch up with friends. Plus I love posting controversial statuses to see what other's opinions on said topic are. So when I run across something that people need to be aware of, I post it to Fbook. Or else I'd have been deleted my account.

Never been on Facebook or Twitter. I don't hate either, but I'm starting to get annoyed with Twitter because that's the only place news comes from anymore, and I can't understand a damn thing that's being said. It's just a bunch of @ and #. When somebody quotes something from Twitter, I can't even tell who's saying it.

Facebook didn't instantly overtake MySpace.

Plus MySpace was too busy to even look at and more importantly didn't insinuate itself into every corner of user's lives. I could be wrong but I don't see anyone, even Google, unseating fb anytime in the near future.

Plus MySpace was too busy to even look at and more importantly didn't insinuate itself into every corner of user's lives. I could be wrong but I don't see anyone, even Google, unseating fb anytime in the near future.

Agreed. It will take a couple of years of overt weakness and better options for Facebook to come even remotely close to collapsing.

Archived