Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I'm Sick of FaceBook. Seriously, sick of seeing those stupid "f" things everywhere

The Curious One

The Shady Facebook Plugin That Made $250,000 In Two Weeks

Dru Mundorff is building an empire in gray-market ad-replacers, and the courts can't touch him.

See if this sounds familiar: You see an interesting link on your friend's Facebook wall, but when you click through, a pop-up window asks you to install something before you can go any further. It's a great way to build an audience for an app — just ask Viddy or those notorious social reader apps — but now that users are accustomed to the hard sell, it's opened the door to something security experts are calling Facebook's first malware epidemic.

It's a plug-in called LilyJade. It tinkers with the ad-exchange codes on every computer it reaches. And with the help of Facebook traffic, it's pulled in a quarter of a million dollars in just two weeks. Kaspersky Lab is one of many security firms labeling LilyJade a worm, but the founder, a Phoenix-based coder named Dru Mundorff, told me he prefers to think of it as an "internet marketing system." It spreads by the same principle as those infamous social readers: you'll see a link on a friend's Facebook wall and, when you click through, a pop-up prompts you to install a plug-in. If you agree, it'll start replacing every ad on your browser, directing the ad exchange money to Mundorff & Co.

Mundorff presents LilyJade as an ad-blocker-and-replacer, not unlike preexisting ad services like AdBlock that just erase ads from your brower entirely. They're not the nicest things if you want your favorite websites to make money, but they're certainly not illegal. But since the LilyJade ads can look the same as the ones they're replacing, most users will never notice the difference. Unless they remember signing up, they might never know it's there.

Click on the link for the full article

Facebook has its eyes on Face.com, reports say

There's nothing like an acquisition to distract investors from your falling stock price.

Reports in the tech press Tuesday said that Facebook, whose stock is still reeling from the aftershocks of a bungled IPO, is looking to acquire Israel-based face recognition technology company Face.com for around $80 million to $100 million.

Facebook has its eyes on Face.com, reports say

There's nothing like an acquisition to distract investors from your falling stock price.

Reports in the tech press Tuesday said that Facebook, whose stock is still reeling from the aftershocks of a bungled IPO, is looking to acquire Israel-based face recognition technology company Face.com for around $80 million to $100 million.

Does anyone else here see the similarities between facebook and Skynet? Pretty soon facebook is going to be building military weaponry, automated T-1 "coffee makers," security devices, etc. We're going to back into judgment day, instead of meeting it head on. Game over man.... game over.

Does anyone else here see the similarities between facebook and Skynet? Pretty soon facebook is going to be building military weaponry, automated T-1 "coffee makers," security devices, etc. We're going to back into judgment day, instead of meeting it head on. Game over man.... game over.

They're supposedly trying to build a phone again too.

Facebook ‘Unfriending’ Leads to Double Murder

Well, it looks like you should perhaps think twice before you “unfriend” someone on Facebook.

A Tennessee couple who “unfriended” a woman were murdered in their home by the jilted woman’s father and another man, according to police.

“It’s the worst thing I’ve ever seen,” said Johnson County Sheriff Mike Reece, adding that he’d never seen anything like it in his 27 years on the job. “We’ve had murders, but nothing like this. This is just senseless.”

Billy Clay Payne, Jr. and Billie Jean Hayworth were killed in January after they removed Jenelle Potter, the daughter of one of the suspects, from their “friends” list. Both victims had been shot in the head and the man had his throat slit.

Their eight-month-old baby was in the mother’s arms, unharmed.

Marvin Enoch “Buddy” Potter Jr., 60, and Jamie Lynn Curd, 38, were each charged with two counts of first-degree murder. The men were arrested on Tuesday.

Reece said that a couple of harassment cases had been filed in court against Jenelle Potter recently due to someone “blocking her” on Facebook or “taking her off.”

“Once you’ve crossed her, you’ve crossed her father too,” Reece said.

• 2 months later...

Coming Soon to Your Facebook Experience: Ads in Your News Feed

If there's one thing missing from your Facebook experience, it's an even heavier influx of ads, right?

Just say yes — it's not like you have a choice. Facebook is now inserting ads into your news feed, whether or not you're a fan of the product.

A Facebook spokesperson told Tech Crunch that they are taking user concerns' into consideration.

Ad-block works wonders. I'm surprised how many people fail to realize you can block advertisements on websites with a simple add-on.

I'm not going to be a slave to the man. I'm unshackled :)

Anyway, Facebook is highly useful. How else would I be able to get hilarious meme pics and post them on ES!?

183657_351231714951793_1403949024_n.jpg

Ad-block works wonders. I'm surprised how many people fail to realize you can block advertisements on websites with a simple add-on.

I'm not going to be a slave to the man. I'm unshackled :)

Anyway, Facebook is highly useful. How else would I be able to get hilarious meme pics and post them on ES!?

You can find some stuff on Facebook, but check out Tumblr!

• 2 months later...

Facebook makes you spend more, research shows

Two marketing professors say their research shows – for the first time – that using online social networks can influence behavior by reducing self-control. They conclude that Facebook and other social media can have significant effects on consumer judgment and decision-making.

"People who use Facebook more tend to have a higher body-mass index (BMI), increased binge eating, carry more credit card debt and have lower credit scores,” said Andrew Stephen, an associate professor at the University of Pittsburgh.

I signed up for my facebook account 2 days after my wife left me and my son. I use facebook as a way to document what I do with my son. Kind of like my own online journal. I could care less if anyone "likes" any of my pics or anything else and I rarely if ever log on from my computer.

For what I use it for, I like facebook.

Facebook makes you spend more, research shows

Two marketing professors say their research shows – for the first time – that using online social networks can influence behavior by reducing self-control. They conclude that Facebook and other social media can have significant effects on consumer judgment and decision-making.

"People who use Facebook more tend to have a higher body-mass index (BMI), increased binge eating, carry more credit card debt and have lower credit scores,” said Andrew Stephen, an associate professor at the University of Pittsburgh.

I would have guessed anybody who uses the computer more in general would be fat and lazy. FB just seems like one of those windows that stays open.

I signed up for my facebook account 2 days after my wife left me and my son. I use facebook as a way to document what I do with my son. Kind of like my own online journal. I could care less if anyone "likes" any of my pics or anything else and I rarely if ever log on from my computer.

For what I use it for, I like facebook.

Agreed, I use facebook as much for personal documenting for myself and family as I do for the church and ministry. For me it is an awesome tool for networking...a lot like ES.

• 1 month later...

How Almost Anyone Can Take You Off Facebook (And Lock You Out)

Getting your buddy's Facebook account turned into a “Memorial” state is surprisingly easy — and locks them out of Facebook. Warning: this will seriously mess up someone's account.

Facebook has offered "memorialization" for accounts of deceased people for a while, but it seems that the bar has been lowered for how they verify the person in question is actually expired. Ideally, how it works is a friend or relative of a deceased person fills out a form from the Facebook Help section that gives the name, email, and account name of the deceased person. It also asks if you're a friend, immediate family member, or other.

Lastly, it asks for proof that your friend is dead, but it will accept a link to an online obituary as sufficient proof. If your friend has a common enough name, just Google their name + "obituary" and you'll probably find a match.

Once memorialized, your buddy will be locked out of his or her account. R.I.P.!

(WARNING: Don't do this. It's at the very least a pain in the ass for your friends.)

Update: Why is it so easy to fake a friend's death? A Facebook spokeperson tells Buzzfeed, "we try to take all necessary precautions when processing user requests and provide an appeals process for any possible mistake we may make." It doesn't explain why there's no email confirmation or why an obituary for someone 50 years older than the alleged deceased was accepted as valid proof of his death.

Click on the link for more

• 4 months later...

The Facebook Home disaster

The people have spoken: Nobody wants to live in Mark Zuckerberg's gated community

The reviews are in: Facebook Home, Mark Zuckerberg’s grandiose stab at totally controlling our mobile experience, is an unmitigated disaster.

On Wednesday, AT&T announced that it was dropping the price of the HTC First smartphone, which comes with Facebook Home built in, from $99 to 99 cents. Think about that: a new smartphone, priced to jump off the shelves at Dollar General. It’s a great deal, but it is also hugely embarrassing for Zuckerberg.

A little over a month ago, I wrote that the only way I could see a Facebook phone making sense was if Facebook planned to cut deals with the phone carriers to give the phone away for free. But such a strategy doesn’t seem to be what’s in play here. Best guess, no one wants to buy a Facebook phone.

For confirmation we need only look at the Google Play store, where the Facebook Home app, which can be installed on select Android phones, has now fallen to the No. 338 ranking in the category of free apps. That’s 200 spots lower than it ranked just two weeks ago.

Even worse: More than half of Facebook Home’s 15,000 user reviews give the app just one star.

Archived