Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The last movie you saw......GO! (After you read the OP!!!!)

renaissance

If only Marvel could ever conceive of something that awesome... my boy Nightcrawler is a BEAST

Well they have expressed interest in a Gambit solo movie and I read that Channing Tatum has been cast. So who knows, maybe Nightcrawler will show up again one of these days.

Edited by The Evil Genius

Well they have expressed interest in a Gambit solo movie and I read that Channing Tatum has been cast. So who knows, maybe Nightcrawler will show up again one of these days.

I love Gambit too, but I hate Channing Tatum. Out of all the actors they could've chosen, they roll with Channing Tatum....

I'm going to get my hands on Magnolia and Children of Men and check those out soon.

They were recommended to me because I'm a fan of the long, single-take tracking shots that created the greatest scene in the history of television: the heist/shootout of the episode, "Who Goes There" in True Detective:

(Warning: NSFW)

Apparently Birdman is filmed in this way as well...looking forward to that.

Anyone seen Children of Men and/or Magnolia?

• Like 1

Children of Men was pretty good, not your typical post-apocalyptic film.  not much else to say without giving away anything.

Magnolia is old(er), gotta be early 2000s.  i saw it years back, remember it being pretty good.  One of Phillip Seymour's underappreciated joints.  coincidence but I think Julianne Moore is in both those movies. 

both are worth watching for sure.

• Like 1

Spoiler Free thoughts below as we just got home after spending a while in the parking lot talking it over.

Interstellar ...where to begin. I'm still thinking it over and getting it all all sorted out. It's 100% Chris Nolan in spectacle and filmmaking style and storytelling but it has a so much more heart and emotional focus than what is typical of him. The result is a sci fi classic IMO.

The movie is perfectly paced. It starts right from the beginning hitting you with those emotional pulls and continues throughout with a great balance of that heart and the suspenseful action scenes.

I have to say, right from the beginning I was filled with this sense of wonder and amazement. I honestly felt similar to how I remember feeling when I was a kid and watched ET for the first time. There was just something about it, you can feel this is going somewhere bigger in scope. That wonder just sucks you right in and I think the fact that you know the stakes almost right away helps too. Humanity's final hope, into the unknown.

I can't even say too much else without giving away plot points but it's excellent. One actor pops up that I was genuinely surprised to see and I'm glad I stayed away from all pre-release info and trailers.

It kind of lost me in one spot but then I realized it really had been leading up to that point. I knew it all along, my wife even called it but just thought it might be a little more subtle. So the first few minutes after this point I thought "ehh" but I saw what the point was and it all ties together really well.

This is a movie about hope, faith love and the instinct humanity has to survive. It's thought provoking, gut wrenching, suspenseful, filled with wonder and leaves you with pride at the will of humanity. It's powerful and sticks with you long after the credits have rolled.

I loved it and can't wait to see it again later this weekend. I will admit it doesn't nail all it's marks, maybe it was a little too ambitious but I can overlook some of the weaker or less sensical plot points to see the overall package.

That's probably one thing I really appreciate most about Nolan. He makes magic in his movies, he takes chances, he has a vision...his movies are different. That's what movies should be, an art form where you can see something extraordinary that makes an impact. There aren't a lot of filmmakers like that now

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man
  • Like 2

momma, is it okay if I claim you as a brotha from anotha? your passion for movies and your critiques....fantastic.

I love you, man. :)

Thanks bro, I'm honored and those are much appreciated words.

Love you, man.

You guys are going to enjoy it, it's a really beautiful movie

Edited by Momma There Goes That Man

Now, we're here just here to be memories for our kids.

Interstellar. A heavy, heavy movie. The type of movie that makes you change your approach on life, if only for a fleeting moment. To me it's a must see. It's more than a movie about saving the world, it's a movie about life, about family, about what is really important.

• Like 1

Now, we're here just here to be memories for our kids.

Interstellar. A heavy, heavy movie. The type of movie that makes you change your approach on life, if only for a fleeting moment. To me it's a must see. It's more than a movie about saving the world, it's a movie about life, about family, about what is really important.

"We used to look up at the sky and wonder at our place in the stars, now we just look down and worry about our place in the dirt."

It rekindles that drive for ingenuity, pioneering and exploration that is in humanity.

Do not go gentle into that good night; Old age should burn and rave at close of day. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

Do not go gentle into that good night; Old age should burn and rave at close of day. Rage, rage against the dying of the light.

My sister in law recited this whole poem at my recently passed mother in law's memorial service. Needless to say I got rather emotional at its use in Interstellar.

• Like 2