Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Could Cooley be a cap causality?

MattFancy

Out of curiosity, and based off of Fred Davis' performance this past year, would any of you guys actually care if Cooley was cut? While the Skins are far from needing the cap space, why pay someone starter caliber money if they are gonna be watching the game from the sidelines. Surely you'd rather pay a young player a fraction of that and still have depth at the position.

There is no reason to do that in my opinion. Even if he is no longer biggest threat at TE. We are no longer in "cap hell" and don't need to do things like this.

I agree with this. It won't be a "cap" decision. It could be a production/health decision, but the money isn't big enough or bad enough given all the work Allen has done over the last two years where Cooley would have to be cut for cap reasons.

I agree with this. It won't be a "cap" decision. It could be a production/health decision, but the money isn't big enough or bad enough given all the work Allen has done over the last two years where Cooley would have to be cut for cap reasons.

Add to it that I just don't want to see him go if he has even a couple decent to good years left. Which I think he probably does. I would have to completely ignore the radio all season next year because all we would hear about is another Redskin going somewhere else to continue a productive career!

I say you keep him. Fan favorite or not, I think you reward him for being loyal to the team for so long - set the right precedent. Same goes for London IMO. I don't see why we can't do like Detroit does with Scheffler and Pettigrew. Plus I'm sure he'd restructure if they really needed him to do that.

Yeah, he has been the kind of vet we want in here.

The Wizard are largely showing why you can't do a total rebuild with only pups. You need someone who's been there who can show you how to be a pro, how to have the right work ethic, how to work out, give pointers on the field. Cooley's been a hard worker because he's not that gifted a natural athlete. We need a few more Cooley's and Fletcher's and guys who can instruct and role model for the youngsters.

Beware, the Wiz. You don't want a group of all young players learning from Blatche and Lewis what it means to be a pro.

I think the fanbase spends way too much time lamenting about the tight ends. I think tight ends are one of the more replaceable positions in the league. I wouldn't lose sleep if they lost either Cooley or Davis.

I don't disagree with you. For me to support a Tight End or a Running Back being taken before the third round, they would have to be a very special case. And there are only about 5 of each of those types in the league today.

There is some argument about the work ethic that Cooley has displayed (and I am one of the bigger "Cooley-haters" on the board) but just because we have the cap space, doesn't mean that we should let his contract slide if he isn't worth the money (as some are suggesting on here). I think TK is right, Cooley will happily restructure and he'll play the position in which he is needed to on this team. All in all the dude is a great guy and a phenominal locker room presents, he's just not a deadly weapon on the field anymore.

To rehash old posts on this subject, everyone saying that Fred is a better player than Chris just doesn't get it.

They both bring different things and versatility to our offense.

Fred is more atheletic, can get downfield better and has higher potential for big plays.

Chris is very sly and crafty finding openings in the defenses, can move the chains, sustain drives and YAC is much better.

With both of these guys healthy on the field, it provides our offense with a much higher chance of success and gives us more options in the redzone.

I don't see why some people can't see this.

So if Chris is in fact healthy, it would be stupid to let him leave IMO.

To rehash old posts on this subject, everyone saying that Fred is a better player than Chris just doesn't get it.

They both bring different things and versatility to our offense.

Fred is more atheletic, can get downfield better and has higher potential for big plays.

Chris is very sly and crafty finding openings in the defenses, can move the chains, sustain drives and YAC is much better.

With both of these guys healthy on the field, it provides our offense with a much higher chance of success and gives us more options in the redzone.

I don't see why some people can't see this.

So if Chris is in fact healthy, it would be stupid to let him leave IMO.

Some of us do see it...and most importantly, it seems that both Shanahans see it as well. As long as Cooley is healthy, Mike and Kyle see Cooley in their plans.

Cooley won't be a cap casualty in that sense of the word. But his contract was written during the overly generous Vinny days and does need to be restructured to reflect his capabilities. Of course, if he can't recover from his injuries then that's another issue. The best teams don't keep players past their primes. Skins don't have enough depth yet to trade players just after they peak but they do need to keep roster discipline.

Some of us do see it...and most importantly, it seems that both Shanahans see it as well. As long as Cooley is healthy, Mike and Kyle see Cooley in their plans.

Again, the two biggest questions/statments:

1) If he's healthy. He hasn't been the same since he hurt his ankle has he? He's missed a lot of games.

2) Is he worth the money he's supposed to get?

I said above that the Redskins are a better team with Chris Cooley, playing whatever role he can, he'll learn it and give it 100%. But I'm not going to pay a 2nd or 3rd tightend that kind of money, especially when he has health problems. It's just common sense. If he shocks everyone and balls out, then we adjust his contract, but you can't take back money that's already been spent. Chris is a team player and I don't think he'll have any issues restructuring, so I don't think this will be an issue.

1) If he's healthy. He hasn't been the same since he hurt his ankle has he? He's missed a lot of games.

1) That's what everyone is saying, on both sides...of course, this can be said of damn near every player in the league--that their health plays a major role in whether or not that player is worth keeping on the roster. When Cooley's healthy, he's productive and valuable. We don't know yet how he is after injuring his ankle because he wasn't healthy afterwards. If he comes to camp without any health issues we'll get the first chance since his ankle injury to find out.

2) I don't think any team has a roster where every player is paid exactly what they are "worth". For some players, it's about what they're worth...for other players, it's about what you can afford...Cooley's worth to the team is in more than number of TDs. The drop off between him and Davis is now non-existent. The drop off between both of them and Paulsen is glaring, though. Both Davis and Cooley have issues that might see them miss games--Davis' drug test results and Cooley's health. So it might be a case of if you can afford to keep both, you do.

I said above that the Redskins are a better team with Chris Cooley, playing whatever role he can, he'll learn it and give it 100%. But I'm not going to pay a 2nd or 3rd tightend that kind of money, especially when he has health problems. It's just common sense. If he shocks everyone and balls out, then we adjust his contract, but you can't take back money that's already been spent. Chris is a team player and I don't think he'll have any issues restructuring, so I don't think this will be an issue.

I'm not sure restructuring is even necessary.

Given that Fred Davis is a positive drug test away from being suspended 16 games, Cooley should probably stick around.

This. Additionally, I had the pleasure of meeting Chris about six years ago. Stand-up guy, really humble and down to earth. Took a picture with him and he autographed my jersey (his). My mom framed it and now it's hanging in my apartment.

Cooley probably won't make the HOF, but I would love to see him play for another 5 years in some capacity before retiring as a Redskin. I will root for him wherever he goes (as long as its not in the NFC East), but this guy just completely embodies what it means to be a Redskin. He isn't worried about money and will gladly restructure.

Cooley won't be 30 until July. If he has recovered fully from his past injuries, there is no doubt in my mind he can return to his 2 time pro bowl level of play.

You don't cut someone's pay until he proves he can no longer perform at that level..... and you can't determine that until the player is healthy. If Chris shows up to camp still not 100% then a contract restructure may be warranted.

This. Additionally, I had the pleasure of meeting Chris about six years ago. Stand-up guy, really humble and down to earth. Took a picture with him and he autographed my jersey (his). My mom framed it and now it's hanging in my apartment.

Cooley probably won't make the HOF, but I would love to see him play for another 5 years in some capacity before retiring as a Redskin. I will root for him wherever he goes (as long as its not in the NFC East), but this guy just completely embodies what it means to be a Redskin. He isn't worried about money and will gladly restructure.

Couldn't agree more. I think Cooley will definitely stick around. Just too many questions with Davis. And its not like Cooley's salary is too crazy as is and we are way under the cap.

I don't know why fans are concerned as the MAXIMUM net cap savings (the only thing us fans should be concerned with) is somewhere south of 1.2M and probably would be no greater than 500K. While even with no movement on him, we still got around 40M in space Yeah, if we wait until June, it'll be a lot more but that's because we role the hit to next year (when we'll have a floor to deal with). The 3.8 (maybe 3.9 with his misc bonus but I don't know when that is due) is Snyder's concern (profit/loss issue).

I don't know why fans are concerned as the MAXIMUM net cap savings (the only thing us fans should be concerned with) is somewhere south of 1.2M and probably would be no greater than 500K. While even with no movement on him, we still got around 40M in space Yeah, if we wait until June, it'll be a lot more but that's because we role the hit to next year (when we'll have a floor to deal with). The 3.8 (maybe 3.9 with his misc bonus but I don't know when that is due) is Snyder's concern (profit/loss issue).

I really don't understand where you're seeing the numbers you are. I saw in another thread you had said you got them from the warpath, when you said Hall wouldn't save or cost any space if let go. But Hall would save 6.2 if traded/released and Cooley 2.066, all according to the warpath numbers.

And of course these numbers are only for 2012. If the team got rid of Cooley, and thus didn't pay him the 3.9 mil he's owed, then they save 3.9 mil in cap space. Just not all in the first year.

Archived